23 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2016 4:53 PM by phctourist RSS

Ditching Marriott Rewards

ravjohn Gold
Currently Being Moderated

I hate to say this but recently I traded in my Marriott Rewards Visa for a Chase Sapphire Card and I am unwinding through my points and calling it quits, despite being Gold this year.  I have yet to have one paid night this year and will again take my account to other chains moving forward. What I have discovered was several things including the saving of points to then use at Hawaiian Hotels that were sub par at best, or that I cant even use points at specific hotels depending on the week.  The Bluffton SC Residence Inn was $199.00 last week and I was unable to use points.  When I could even those went up now to 25,000 from 15,000, and this for a nothing residence inn hotel that most time is pretty quiet. Furthermore, just down the road is a Hilton Garden Inn, much nicer and a rate of $135.00 or a Holiday Inn Express, also much nicer and for $99.00.  Bet it Hawaii, New York or even Hilton Head, Marriott has gotten very expensive, complacent with its quality and even their customer service has dropped off.  Today I booked my first airline ticket and hotel package with Chase Saphire.  I was so glad that after almost 20 years I had ditched my Marriott Rewards Visa, after all Marriott long ago ditched me with unreasonable prices, poor hotels, and a diminishing frequent users program.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Fairfield Inn, Marriott
  • Re: Ditching Marriott Rewards
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I guess this means we won't be seeing you on Insiders any more, oh wait not sure we ever did before.  Well, welcome and sorry to see you go with a bad taste for Marriott. 

Please come back and tell us if the grass is really that much greener on the other side.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I really can't add anything to IAHFLYR 'S response. He said it all!  One and done!!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Wow, that's quite the opening post ravjohn

I'm one who made your journey but in the opposite direction 10 years ago, and never looked back. You'll certainly accumulate lots of HiltonPesos, but whilst it may take many Marriott mickles to make a muckle, it takes hefty HiltonPesos to make a Hiltonstay, but I do hope it works out for you, maybe Hilton has improved over the last decade, it certainly had plenty of improving to do!

peymanagement Platinum

Sorry to hear about your troubles, I guess we will see you on the other side of the moon.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Actually I might add, there is a fair prospect Hilton has improved over the last decade, Hilton kinda reached a nadir about 10 years ago just before the financial crisis, trading mainly on Grandpa Conrads history and allowing standards to slide, hence it fell victim to the bloodsucking Blackstone group, who saw an opportunity for a quick buck by forcing the franchisees to actually adhere to brand standards thus burnishing the tarnished reputation of the company at the expense of others, an ideal hedgefund tactic.

Of course the financial crisis meant Blackstone had to hang onto Hilton for far longer than intended. Blackstone certainly made the ropey franchisees squeal though they also made their Elites suffer with frankly the most astonishing points devaluation ever, though it would be fair to say elite in-stay benefits didn't suffer, though that is most probably because in-stay benefits are a cost borne by the franchisee, not Hilton and hence fits with Blackstones philosophy of turning around businesses at the expense of others.

So I'm not sure everythings happier at Hilton than it was 10 years ago but I'd imagine the hotels are more homogenous following their spell in Blackstone!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

My experience of Hilton was only in the UK, but I used to stay in them a lot when I was working.  As you say brightlybob the standards just slipped and slipped.  I really noticed it.  However, I have no idea what they are like now, as since retirement I only stay in Marriotts or small independent hotels.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I would genuinely like to understand more about the sub par Hawaiian hotels, what you have observed specifically to characterize them in this way.

peymanagement Platinum

I would too but I have a feeling we will never know. Other than price to do business in Hawaii I have never had anything other than excellent service at Marriott, or for that matter Hilton.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'm at a loss to understand the purpose of this post.

Someone goes to the trouble of creating a MRI account to explain to a bunch of Marriott loyalists, his decision to dump his MR Visa and plans to leave the chain in favor of Hilton. Is this because of a need to vent? Or is the purpose to point out to all of us how stupid we are for remaining loyal to Marriott?

Everyone has opinions about Marriott - good, bad, or indifferent. Many of us post complaints here. I'm good with that. What confuses me is why bother expending the effort to create an account for the sole purpose of raising the middle finger to Marriott and everyone on this site? I suspect many of us will just see this as an extra seat in the CL.

I'm sure there was a good reason for this post. To me, it looks like a cry for help or attention.

Feel free to offer an alternative explanation.

ravjohn Gold

Wow. Such vitriol all for simply expressing my opinion.  My apologies for that.  I wasn't posting my opinion so MR Members could rebut my feelings, and I can assure you it wasn't a cry for help or to slam Marriott.  In fact I have been a MR member for almost 30 years and used to work for the LA, SF and Oakland Convention and Visitors Bureau recommending their properties.  But here is my question, what is the point of accumulating points and even hording points for that once a year or once in a decade earned trip, if when you finally plan it the hotel is blacked out or quite frankly unimpressive.  When you get there and you are charged $50.00 per night ocean view room upgrade fee, resort fees, parking charges and other fees, when there are other nearby hotels are much nicer and quite frankly around the same price.  See my review in Trip Advisor from July 2015.  Another Tired Marriott.

Our experience with Marriott has been more of the same.  We found the Maui Marriott, The Marriott on the Big Island and the Marriott in Barbados to be essentially the same.  Over priced and underwhelming in terms of price paid, amenities and quality of the facility.

So again, what is the purpose of an incentive program if the rewards offered (based on Pacific resorts we've stayed in are hardly an incentive.

We are building a home in Hilton Head and have stayed at the Fairfield inn for the past four years.  Depending on the week, day or month the rates move from between $85.00 to $199.00 and the points required per stay have now moved past 25,000.  They used to be 15,000.  Down the Road are great Holiday Inn Expresses and Hilton Garden Inn that are cheaper, nicer, dog friendly more convenient and overall a better value.  Or I could stay at Marriott's Ocean Resort and use 45,000 points and pay for parking, a resort fee and resort upgrade fee.  In the end we stayed at the Inn at Palmetto Bluff, which is a Montage 5 star hotel that was worth every penny and not that much less than the Marriott.

In the end I am sure many of you will disagree with my post or question why I am even writing it.  I am because I have been a MR for 30 years, a Marriott advocate for years and a Marriott Credit card holder for the past 20 years - but I have come to realize that based on my experience, with resort stays,  and based on Marriott's polices changing not for the better in terms of points and blackouts, THAT FOR ME the freedom of the Chase Sapphire card is much better for our family. 

My opinion was for the benefit of Marriott to see and not to draw the IRE of reward Loyalists or to seek rebuttals..

Respectfully submitted.

Fair enough. I just wondered why you posted here. If it were me, I would have walked away and not said anything. I've certainly done that with other companies.

I'm all for expressing opinions. Yours is just as valid as they next guy's. Good luck down the new path. It sounds like a better choice for you.

It just seemed like a lot of effort to slam the door on the way out. At least that's how I read it. I apologize for misinterpreting.

ravjohn Gold

I don't disagree and you're probably right.  I was so frustarated with HH Marriott's that I decided to wind down my account and post a summary of why.  My belief is again the program has changed in ways that are not for the better.  I appreciate the dialogue.  Thanks.

slavagehill Silver

I appreciate you all for posting...whether it be middle fingers or MR pep rallies, this is what this should be about.  I'm new to this insiders site as of today...as in the last 10 minutes. I found this thread by searching for insight on the challenges and megabonus and whatever else may be out there.  regardless, I appreciate hearing the experiences, whether it's roses or poopoo, or poopoo that smells like roses just because we've told ourselves it does.  thanks for taking the time...it's how we all get smarter and grow...even if it's in different directions.   

peymanagement Platinum

If I did not know better one may say "Yes Gracie"

Hey welcome to Insiders slavagehill, good to have you aboard.  Don't let the middle finger comment scare you as he just learned what that "International Sign of Peace" actually meant!

This is a great site to gain valuable travel and a host of other experiences, so please chime in and have some fun, I know I do.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

As bejacob rightly says, we all have our differing opinions and we all have good reason for those opinions, whether they are good or bad.  Personally, I am very happy with how Marriott have looked after me, and I also find no problem in redeeming my points for where I want to stay.  I have to say that I very much doubt I would receive the same level of service, recognition and points spending ability with another chain.

So I'm sorry you feel badly about Marriott.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I don't understand your problems.  I've been a member of MR for about 25 years.  Three out of four times, I get to use my points without any blackouts or other problems.  I've only paid for an upgrade, once, in all those years and that was before I was Gold.  Since attaining Gold and then Platinum, free upgrades have been the rule and not the exception.  This past weekend for the hotel's minimum rate, we received and upgrade to a lovely suite at the Crystal Gateway Marriott.  I have found Marriott to be competitive, in price, with Hilton and IHG, and have dropped out of both of those programs over the past decade.

Yes, there are occasions when a hotel is overpriced.  I assume that they are almost fully booked and I find another, more reasonably priced, hotel.  As Marriott expands, that becomes easier to do.

OMG, did our resident good guy really put down "middle finger"?  NO WAY!!! LOL

I sure did. I don't object to the post. I just questioned why it was done on a site filled with Marriott Rewards members.

No one at Marriott is going take any notice. I posted what I believed could be the only purpose of posting on this site. Perhaps it was a bit harsh on my part.

I liken it to going to a political rally and telling the candidate's supporters that their choice is an idiot. A person has every right to express that opinion, but it's unlikely to do anything but upset the supporters. IMHO, it's better to go to a less partisan area to share those views. Chances are the message will be heard rather than potentially start a fight. We've seen that enough recently.

My biggest issue is why go to the effort of creating a MRI profile just to post negative comments essentially saying "Goodbye forever.? It's a lot of work with no real return.  As you know, IAHFLYR, this isn't the first time we've seen this happen.

Anyway, we had a discussion and as far as I'm concerned all is good now. I never questioned the opinion, just whether MRI was the best place to share it. Perhaps based on the continued discussion, it was the right place after all. It won't change anything for Marriott or for those who decide to leave. End result = some of us stay, some of us go = status quo. In my mind, a lot of work to achieve that.

You are on a roll and I love it!!  I also agree with the one less in the CL and on the upgrade list. It's all good.....and now back to trying to find a way to get to and place to stay on a possible Catalina Island trip.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

You will definitely find Hilton not as friendly for using points.  It takes a lot of them!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I quite agree.  And the thing is, when one is a loyalty member (whichever chain programme makes no difference) if we find that we can use our points effectively and to our best advantage, then our loyalty is increased.  We become more loyal to the brand.  That's my personal experience, based on how I have been treated by Marriott, anyway.  I just find that here in the UK, Marriott treats me like a longstanding loyal guest, and rewards me accordingly.

pilam76 Platinum

I like Marriott for a variety of reasons but it just seems to me they have so many hotels around the country compared to other hotel chains

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...