13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2016 11:28 AM by nmballoonist RSS

Countdown to Houston - 6 months to go!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Most of the community already knows about the shindig planned for Marriott Rewards Insiders in Houston Sept 16-17, 2016. In case you missed it, here are a handful of the threads discussing the topic.

Insiders Gathering in Houston - Just the Facts

Re: Who's attending TIPPLE in Houston on 16th & 17th Sept 2016? Here's the list

Insiders meetup Sept 2016. Wanna join us?

Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston Galleria

Re: Who's up for the Insiders meetup in Houston?

As we look ahead six months, I thought a little history might be in order.

A couple months ago, brightlybob reached out to me to discuss a planned business trip to the US. He actually suggested the idea for an insider meetup all the way back on December 21, 2015 in a comment on my blog post County Collecting 2015 - the Year in Review. Believe it or not, he even indicated his willingness to "tag along for a couple days on one of your county collecting trips." Check out his comment if you don't believe me.

Anyway, that's where it began. Brightly coming to visit for business and then joining me for some county collecting. We narrowed the location down to a few possibilities before finally selecting Houston. Picking dates also cause a few problems, but that was sorted out as well.

We're keeping an unofficial list of attendees and possible attendees (dubbed by Brightly as "hipsters" and "ankle-biters"). Most will be joining us as the JW Houston Galleria, though a few already have reserved rooms at nearby Marriott properties (Residence Inn being the most popular alternate choice).

The fall MegaBonus normally kicks off September 15, so assuming it will be the same this year, here's a chance to start that promotion off on the right foot. Alternately, the JW is moving from a category 6 to a category 5 property this year, so using the certificate earned during the current MegaBonus is also an option.

I know it's still 6 months away, but already around 20 folks have booked rooms and/or flights to be in Houston in mid-September. Come join us.

Message was edited by: bejacob

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Houston, Texas, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Houston
Houston, Texas, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria
  • Re: Countdown to Houston - 6 months to go!
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I'm neck deep in a trial right now so this is a quick reply, I'll have more time this evening, but a timely reminder indeed bejacob with only 183 days to go, the countdown really begins

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Well done Sir, although you as far as we know have yet to be "Knighted" (is that a word?).

Come on Insiders, here is a wonderful chance to meet some of your other Insiders and share in a few laughs, quite a few beverages, some travel lies and insights as well as learning about H-Town.  Sorry sport fan, the young fun Houston Astros will not be in town that weekend and we do not know of the Texans schedule as it won't be out till the middle of April.  Still there are plenty of things to do/see and don't forget about The Johnson Space Center in Clear Lake and the Houston Zoo in Herman Park is great among other adventures depending on your tastes.  Oh yes, food we do have some incredible restaurants all over town many of which are in the Galleria area which is where the JW is located.  Don't confuse the downtown JW with the Galleria, you want the hotel located on Westheimer if you plan to stay at the venue.

Flying into Houston....you've got two airports in two different directions from the Galleria.  The "big" airport or George Bush (Herbert Walker that is as in POTUS 41) Intercontinental Airport (IAH) is north of town and 28 miles to the JW Galleria while William P. Hobby Airport is south of town and 21 miles to the hotel.  Which is best for you, you pick.

IAH Airlines

• United by far the most flights
    • American
    • Delta
    • Spirit
    • Frontier
    • Air Canada
    • WestJet
    • Alaska
    • AeroMexico
    • Interjet
    • British Airways

and a host of other International airlines. Fly2Houston - Houston Airport System

HOU Airlines

• Southwest by far the most flights
    • Delta
    • American
    • jetBlue

and that's it. Fly2Houston - Houston Airport System

So make your plans and let's have some fun getting to know each other in person.  Other such meetings of Insiders have been great fun to read about, this will be EPIC!!

Location Brand Hotel
    Houston, Texas, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Houston by The Galleria
      jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Yep and Houston " we don't have a problem" . How many now have initially signed up to go

nmballoonist Platinum

I have booked reservations at the JW for Friday and Saturday night.  Senior and AAA rates were still available, only a few $ more than government rate which was not available.  I am beginning to think that I wont be able to make it being so close to Balloon Fiesta which starts Oct 1 this year.  But decided to lock down a good rate, just in case. 

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Will you be arriving by hot air balloon?

nmballoonist Platinum

Houston ATC might not be too happy with me if I did!  No transponder and it's hard to follow directions like "turn 220 and continue heading". 

ramoneur Platinum

just have to find correct height for the correct directional winds, right?

how do you park it btw?

IF they can land the space shuttle they can figure it out as it is the tipple

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

These new kids would not have any problem with your balloon, they'd never figure out what it was!!!!!   Back in the day no problem as we had one of the Goodyear Blimps (N3A) based in Spring and would vector it all over the place, oh wait they had motors.

nmballoonist Platinum

Complying with directional instructions can be a challenge.  No problem with altitude.  I could always try stealth mode as unless set just right, radar doesn't pick us up.  But since its about 60 ft in diameter and 75 ft tall, its hard to miss visually.  But since ATC and approach work in windowless rooms, all we have to do is get the controllers in the tower to look the other way.

Smart idea as you can always cancel at no cost

peymanagement Platinum

So, I found a flight today from Buffalo, 336 CAD through Minneapolis today, otherwise about a grand. however I should be able to rack up some united miles. Does anyone know if there is a lounge that my priority pass gets me into in Minneapolis? I will do that.