13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2016 8:51 PM by peymanagement RSS

Dealing with time change and Jet Lag.

peymanagement Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I used to travel around the world and found it easy as I just stayed up. but as I get older, I find that I am not with it for the first few days. I would be interested in anyone's advice on how to cope?

Things like;

• Sleep strategy
  • Diet
  • Timetable for site seeing
  • etc

Also for coming back.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Europe, Korea
  • Re: Dealing with time change and Jet Lag.
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Going, DRINK (water and other things) and sleep so when you get there you're rested then stay up that day, presuming you are heading east to start.

Coming home drink again and water this time, then when you land at home (westbound) have a nice glass of your favorite adult beverage and read all your mail, take a walk and hit the hay at your normal time.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

I find it harder to not drink adult beverages coming home lol. I will try for water.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I support enjoying adult beverages both ways, but I was trying not to sound like too big a lush!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Well I find since most overseas flights tend to be over nighters., the key for me is too stay up until it is bed time wherever you are. That said being outside and not in the room is a necessity as it is too easy to rest. If you need to rest set alarm to keep it to 30 minutes. The one time I didn't do this and slept when getting in , I never adjjusted on the entire trip

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

As soon as your plane takes off, set your watch to the current time at your arrival destination.  The brain can get tricked.  It doesn't work 100%, but it really does help somewhat.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

To add to Tommo781's advice, behave on the plane as if you're already in the destination time zone.  So if it's daytime at your destination, stay awake on the plane if you can, even if you've taken off at night.  If it's bedtime at the destination, try to sleep, even though you may have left midday.  You can even take it one step further, and about three days out from the trip commencement, start getting up an hour earlier each day.  I read something about that.  Don't know if it works.

It also depends on which direction you fly, whether or not you cross the int'l date line, how long the flight is.  I wonder what advice flight attendants and pilots would give...

As far as diet, once the plane takes off, put yourself on the eating schedule for your destination.  I thought that's what airlines were supposed to already try to do for their PAX, though perhaps not.  I find that too much food is served and too often on overseas flights.

peymanagement Platinum

I agree, I am not one to be able go sleep going east, I have never tried to change times before leaving, I guess if flying from Canada to Europe it wold mean going to bet much later so that the plane time is like going west. It is 5.5 hours into LAX and I never sleep in that direction but going east it is harder for me so maybe I will give that a try.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

When I go to Europe I do the following.

1. Try to get a little sleep on the plane.

2.  Have breakfast when I get to destination.  Often we get breakfast at the CL upon arrival at the hotel.  Go for a walk for an hour or so.

3.  Take a two to three hour nap in our room.  (We have always been able to arrange a morning check upon arrival in Europe at 7 different Marriott properties.)

4.  Take another walk and have a nice dinner.

Take it easy on day two and by day three we are fairly well adjusted.

homoviator Platinum

I agree with peymanagement, it is getting harder with age.  One thing that is important is to simply acknowledge that there is no secret pill that fixes this.  I am in a situation when I go to Europe I have work the day I arrive so it forces me to stay up.  I feel like **** and the evening can't come soon enough.  After 2 days, I feel great and back in the grove of things.

However, I would like to try my colleague's trick which is to give in more.  Arrive at the hotel from the plane and either get a very early check in or simply pay for the night before and start off with a nice long nap then get up and face the world.  That sounds appealing and when I have more flexibility and maybe a few more years under my belt, I'll do this.

fistuk Platinum

There are several things you can do to help reduce the effects of jet lag:

1. When you arrive at your destination you should:

• establish a new routine and try to get used to it as soon as possible - eat and sleep at the correct times for your new time zone, not when you usually eat and sleep at home
    • avoid napping as soon as you arrive at your destination -even if you're tired after a long flight, try to stay active until the correct time to sleep; this will help your body adjust more quickly
    • spend time outdoors - natural light will help your body adjust to a new routine

2. Melatonin is a substance (a hormone and neurotransmitter) that your body releases in the evening. It helps to let your brain know it's time for your body to sleep.

Your body clock is synchronised to a diurnal (daytime) lifestyle by natural daylight and by the release of melatonin in your body, which is produced when it gets dark to help your body for sleep. Your body stops producing melatonin at around dawn to help you wake up.

Some jet lag remedies contain melatonin to help you sleep at night when your body is finding it difficult to adjust to the new time zone. Melatonin has been found to help people sleep and reduce general feelings of jet lag in some (but not all) studies.

However, Melatonin is treated differently in various countries: for example, while in the US you can just grab it from the shelf, in the UK you need a prescription for it.

peymanagement Platinum

Good advice, I was thinking of trying to change times before I leave, but not sure how that would work, I find it much easier to come back than go.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...