3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2016 12:19 PM by peterh RSS

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

caohnso50 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Who has stayed at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel on the Big Island of Hawaii?

I am thinking about booking a trip there for my wife and I.  And I was looking for a first hand account on what it is like.  My biggest concerns are the distance from other locations and activities.  And also the prices at the restaurants on the property.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Kohala Coast, Hawaii, USA Autograph Collection Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection
  • Re: Mauna Kea Beach Hotel
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

This is right up your alley bejacob!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

caohnso50, I stayed here for 5 days last September. Here are a couple links to previous content I posted.

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel - Autograph property par excellence

County Collecting Hawaiian Style - Part 2, The Big Island

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

The property is a bit of a drive from the main tourist areas near Kailua-Kona, but it's an easy drive. The shopping centers near Mauna Lani and Waikaloa are reasonably close and have some good restaurants. One positive is being able access the north part of the island all the way to Hilo (round-trip to Hilo is about half a day's drive).

The one major area you'll be far from is Volcanoes National Park, but even that can be managed. We arranged for a tour to save the hassle of making the drive. I'd suggest doing the same or planning an additional night or two somewhere closer if the volcanoes are high on your list.

As for the on site restaurants, the prices are high. There's no polite way to say it. I don't think we ate a meal on site, though we did enjoy a few drinks on the beach.

The distances shouldn't be a problem. The dining prices may be. Read the blog post above and let me know what other questions it prompts. If you do nothing else, book a sunset and star gazing tour. You won't regret it.

I can't say enough good things about this location. I can easily imagine staying at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel again on my next visit to the Big Island.

peterh Platinum 1 Reviews

We stayed at the Mauna Kea last January and loved everything about it! It is a beautiful property.  It is only about a 10-15 minute drive up the coast from shops and restaurants at Waikoloa.  There are many activities right on the property such as snorkeling, SUP, swimming with Manta Rays, golf and Luau.  We felt the luau was the best either myself or my husband had ever attended.  We asked for a ground floor beach front room and were upgraded, we liked being able to walk right out of our room to the beach.  We only stayed our last 2 nights, but wished we had booked our entire vacation there. We ate all of our meals on site, and while the restaurants are pricey they aren't out of line for Hawaii and felt the food was worth the price.  They also have a shuttle to their sister property at dinner time if you would like to eat there.  Waimea is also a short drive for other food options. Everything about this property is first class, at check in they great you with fresh leis, then have chairs for you to relax while you check in and are provided with cool wash cloths and fresh POG juice!