20 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2016 1:59 PM by phctourist RSS

Maine, Rhode Island or Another NE Place in Late August?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

That's right campers, looking for a late August trip and one of the areas of the country we are thinking of is the Northeast corner rather than our staples on the West Coast.  Not sure if we'll use points or not more interested in some Insiders thoughts and comments on places like Newport, RI, Portland, Maine, or New Castle, NH areas or other suggestions as we would love to be by the water.

Of these spots any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Newport, RI, Hotels | Newport Marriott

The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection: Portland Unique Hotels

Hotels in South Portland, Maine | Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Waterfront

Hotels in Portland, Maine | Courtyard Portland Downtown/Waterfront

New Castle, NH Luxury Hotels | Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa

I look forward to your idea.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Castle, New Hampshire, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Newport, Rhode Island, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Newport Marriott
Portland, Maine, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Portland Downtown/Waterfront
Portland, Maine, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Waterfront
  • Re: Maine, Rhode Island or Another NE Place in Late August?
    hassmh Gold

I can't speak to the Marriott, but Newport, RI, in general is beautiful. August would probably be a good time to go, though perhaps a bit busier as it's peak season for tourists. My wife loves to tour the mansions there, well worth a day or two to do that if you have the time, see how the 0.00001% lived back in the earlier part of last century.

The downtown area is very walkable from the Marriott location, though I've never stayed there; I would have lobbied for it on our last trip but I wasn't paying so was happy to stay at a B&B in Narragansett on someone else's dime Lots of shops, great restaurants, not all that touristy but some of that. If you like water, boats, and wind, it's a great place. I'm sure it's much cooler and refreshing than Houston in August!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I've got a great deal of experience, vacationing in NE (at least 40 trips over the years), so here are my 2 cents.

Newport, RI, Hotels | Newport Marriott    This is an excellent hotel with a great location and an excellent dining room.  I actually stayed here on my last trip before attaining fold status for the first time.  Close to restaurants, and other interesting sites.  I'm not impressed by the Newport beaches, but the cliff Walk is spectacular.

Check out the music schedule for the many Newport Musical festivals that occur each summer!  A nice daytrip from Newport is to take a ferry from Narragansett Pier to block Island. 

The Press Hotel, Autograph Collection: Portland Unique Hotels    No info here, I've not stayed there.

Hotels in South Portland, Maine | Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Waterfront    The South Portland  FFI is a very well run hotel, but was getting a bit long in the tooth the last time we stayed there.  I assume that it has been redone since then, but I'd check with them. The Sable Oaks Marriott is an excellent one with a fine CL. When we were there a couple of years ago and the CL gave you one free glass of wine.

From Portland, you can make dozens of fabulous ocean drives along the many spectacular peninsulas.  We have driven every major peninsula in the state ab\nd they are all wonderful.  In late August, you might be able to catch the end of wild blueberry season.  My wife loves them.

Hotels in Portland, Maine | Courtyard Portland Downtown/Waterfront

New Castle, NH Luxury Hotels | Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa   Wentworth was spectacular.  Very well run.  Excellent dining, wonderful views.

Not far away is Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery, ME.  We don't get within twenty miles without going there.  Great lobster rolls and onion rings and they are famous for their fried clams, which some claim are the best in NE.  a9I'm not a clam fan!).

Bar Harbor (pronounced Bah Hahbah) is spectacular but can be a zoo in august and they no longer have any Marriott hotel. Brunswick is a couple of hours south of Bah Hahbah has a well run FFI, nearby.

Great tips phctourist, I've been looking at Wenworth for some time and it just might be the cats meow.  Still, ya never know.

You're not likely to be disappointed.  Make sure you get up to Bob's, if you're in that area.  Maine diner is another great spot1

Bob's Clam Hut (Kittery, Me) Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Oh, Wentworth by the Sea IS the cat's meow!  Portsmouth/New Castle is a wonderful area to hang out when you're not being pampered by the wonderful Wentworth staff.  Depending on how long you stay, (two nights at this hotel?) you can then drive into northern NH for spectacular scenery and spend one night at the Residence Inn in North Conway (there is plenty to do in that town with shopping, hiking, etc.).  If you had the luxury of a fifth day you could head into Maine and stay a night over there in Portland.  You'd be hitting the seacoast and the mountains in one trip.    Plus, I'd love to have dinner or a medicinal with you and the Mrs. if you had the time!

Newport RI is fabulous too; it can be quite busy there in late August so my only thought here would be to save that trip for September or some other shoulder season when the weather is still beautiful but the crowds have thinned.

I love the idea of the coast and mountains plus a possible dinner, we could even move the putting contest up a bit Sledchick!!   The idea of early September does appeal for sure so I continue to search places and Wentworth is in the window as well.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I had never been to Newport before 2012, but since my first stay I've gone back every year - I've even gone in the winter when there are no crowds and free parking!

I've stayed at the Newport Marriott and really enjoyed the room looking out into the harbor, and I had a fantastic massage at the spa there. A few food recommendations if you're in town:

Smoke House - BBQ - we got a combo platter that serves 4 but we split it between 5 of us and were SO full and still had a ton of leftover. The table next to us got the "Giant Taco" and it was massive!

Mamma Luisa - Italian - classic homemade, deliciousness

The Black Pearl - Amazing Clam Chowder

Corner Cafe - The BEST breakfast potatoes & iced coffee I've ever had!

I think if you're making the trek to the Northeast, you should try to get to as many of the states that you've mentioned as possible, but this is the only one I can really shed some light into in terms of staying at a Marriott there and recommending food in the area

Thanks for the tips deannad.   We will probably focus on one location as it will be around a four night adventure so not a lot of time.  Plus, more of a reason to return!!

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Iahflyr - I do hope that you will make it up to New England. Regarding the hotels that you are considering, I've stayed at two, and heard about the other three.

The ones I've heard about:

1.) Wentworth By-The Sea - Superb hotel. It dates from the late 1800s, and was in continuous operation until the late 1960's - mid 1970's if I recall. It was shuttered for many years, with a chain-link fence around it. I would sometimes drive past figuring that each time I did would be the last time I would see it. It was finally purchased by Ocean Properties and restored, albeit in a much smaller incarnation. Much of it is still original, such as the beautiful domed ceiling in the dining room. It has an excellent spa, two pools (one indoor and one outdoor) and excellent restaurants. It's pricey, but worth it. The concierge lounge is small, but is open 24 hours a day so you can go in and get some water in the evening. Their seasonal restaurant, Latitudes, overlooks a marina and has a delightful outside deck. The do not take reservations, so getting there for an earlier dinner than you might ordinarily like is essential if you don't want to wait. There is no charge for parking, but if there are some big events such as weddings, the lot does get crowded.

2.) Newport RI Marriott - This Marriott just underwent a total renovation. It's really beautiful, and has one of the new M-Club lounges. It's near the Newport Mansions, but you will need a car - they're a bit too far away to walk to . If you go, you might consider purchasing a membership to the Newport County Preservation Society. It's reasonably priced, and allows you entry to most of the mansions without paying the standard entry fee. When Brenda and I went late last summer, we really saved a lot of money by having renewed our membership which had lapsed.

3.) Portland, ME - While I have usually stayed at the Marriott Sable Oaks because it's closer to my doctor's office, I've heard really good things about the three hotels you mentioned. The Press Hotel would have the most character, and frankly would be the one I'd be most interested in trying. I used to live in Maine, so feel free to contact me if you need some information on Portland.

Thanks for the splendid tips and ideas nhtraveler and phctourist,  I'm going to start looking for flights next week which probably will route us through IAD as long as they are not crazy high fares I've started to see coming back.  The idea of just after Labor Day is also a very good one, just not sure about how that fits with what my Wife has going on then.

Just after Labor Day is a great time.  Prices are lower and the weather is nice.

Nevertheless, our schedules are what they are!

Incidentally, IAHFLYR ,  if you get to northern Maine, Acadia National Park has a beautiful section that is not part of Bah Hahbah and which can be reached without entering the traffic mess that is there.

It is to the North and can be easily found on the map.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...