24 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2016 9:38 AM by brightlybob RSS

Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Orleans, LA
Kansas City, Missouri, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill
  • Re: WWII Museum
    deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi wesleywc,

What a great question for the community!

I believe razorbackfan could shed some light for you, based on her post from a few years back New Orleans-The National WWII Museum

And some more information on New Orleans here:

Bourbon Street to Beignets - Insider's New Orleans favorites

Re: New Orleans

Hope this is a good start for you, and hope other Insiders will be able to shed more light on this for you

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

It's hard to believe that I posted that review of the WWII Museum almost 4 years ago.  We have visited the museum several times since then and still highly recommend it.  I am not a WWII/military history/airplane buff, but I still enjoy the entire experience. I predict that wesleywc will wish he had more than a day to see everything there.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I went to the WWII museum when I was in NOLA about 6 years ago.  I really enjoyed it.  I was 5 years old when the WWII ended and I've always been fascinated by it.  Unlike the Café Dumond,  I didn't gain any weight there!

It's a great museum and I recommend it to anyone I know who is going there.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I have dear friend who took is Dad who flew 35 missions (yes that's right 35 not 25) over Germany as the Commander of a B17 to the Museum and THEY LOVED IT.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

wesleywc,

Thanks for sharing!  Good information.

BTW, every night I watch "Combat" the TV show on MeTV!  Really an excellent show, and informative.  Having been to Normandy and many other battle sights, I have many to go.  My hero was Audie Murphy and George Patton.  This is a photo I got while in Epernay, France, it says a lot:IMG_4082.JPG

A monument to Gen. Patton, a little tough to read, but this was taken on May 8, "V-E Day", and a National Holiday in France.  A wonderful experience!

superchief1 Platinum

Combat was one of my favorite shows when I was growing up. My brothers and sisters and I often played the characters. My oldest sister always got to be Sgt Saunders with the Thompson. As someone who was draft eligible during Vietnam, I also thought Tour of Duty was a great show. Many of my friends who spent time there thought it was pretty realistic. Fortunately, I was 196 in the draft in which they called only up to 180.

superchief1,

Thanks for sharing this with us!

If you get a chance, review Vic Morrow's Bio.  He had a fear for guns, and  was "Be-headed" while making The Twilight Zone movie, sad.  He along with Rick Jason, Lt. Hanley, were Jewish, and did a wonderful job in their careers of acting professionally.  Rick Jason, committed suicide, shortly after a "Combat Reunion Event".   Both of them had tragic ends of their lives.

Thanks again!

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

We visited the WWII Museum in New Orleans last week for the first time.  It is ranked on Trip Advisor as the #1 Tourist Attraction in NOLA & I understand why.  It is moving, interesting and important to be remembered.  It is a poignant trip through the war and very well presented, but did not soft-pedal the facts & images of lost lives, just boys really in many cases.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

For those interested in WWI from another perspective, the WWII memorial, on the Mall in DC is another worthwhile site.  It is close to the Washington Monument, the MLK & FDR memorials, the Bureau of Engraving, and the US Holocaust Museum.  It sits among the cherry blossoms that are almost ready to pop and is near the African American History Museum that will open before long.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I highly recommend doing the Ranger Talks and Walking Tours (free).  The WWII Memorial in DC (as well as most of the memorials actually), have so many design elements to them, and each element represents something important.  The Ranger Talks explain so much, and all of it interesting and fascinating.  Very worth doing.

Plan Your Visit - National Mall and Memorial Parks (U.S. National Park Service)

dc collage.jpg

seatexan Platinum

I have been several times to the WWII D-Day Museum! They are always expanding so it's been amazing each time.  They just open a Pacific theater side which I have not been to yet.  I thought Beyond All Boundaries was just "ok" - but I do understand they need to make it kid friendly.  It's not all it is talked up and promoted to be in my opinion.

It takes a few hours to go thru and if you are REALLY reading everything it could take much longer!   There is a nice cafe there called  The American Sector. Prices are slightly higher than what you could find around the city but the food is decent. There is a bar too but their top shelf is not all that top shelf.

If you can, or have time...BB Stage Door Canteen is AMAZING. I love the shows put on.

http://www.nationalww2museum.org/stage-door-canteen/letfreedomswing.html

stage.jpg

It's right there at the museum! Tickets GO FAST! Skip the dinner (I have tried and it's TERRIBLE) but the show is lovely!  There are too many good walkable restaurants around anyway.

I hope you enjoy the museum.  They really tie the history into New Orleans too.  It's very well done.  It takes the better half of a day now with all the expansions.  Every min is worth it   You might even see some veterans there.

Berlin.jpg

jeep.jpg

superchief1 Platinum

I know this is a little off topic, but has anyone been to the Kansas City WW1 museum? I didn't have a chance to visit there prior to moving to Ohio, but plan to in the future. It is located near Union Station.

superchief1,

Yes, I have been there a few times and it is well worth it!

It is walking distance from The RI and FF nearby.  Likewise, if you travel by AMTRAK, the hotels have free shuttle from Union Station.  A great way to spend a few days.  They also have free shuttle to The Plaza, and all of the shops there are wonderful.

IMG_3452.JPG

Claude, does a magnificent job of shuttling you to/from the RI/FF!

IMG_3444.jpg

superchief1, I know you like to "Ride The Rails", I sure do!  Here is a shot out the back of AMTRAK, looking at The Capital Building of Missouri, (Jefferson City), and what a fun ride it is from STL to KCMO!

Again, the WWI Museum is interesting and educational!

Location Brand Hotel
      Kansas City, Missouri, USA Residence Inn By Marriott Residence Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill
    nmballoonist Platinum

A bit off topic, but related, if you are ever in KC go to the National WWI Museum and the Liberty Memorial.  To enter the museum, you walk over a glass bridge that crosses 9,000 poppies, each on representing 1,000 casualties.  Very touching.

Speaking of poppies, we were fortunate to be in London late July 2014.  They progressively filled the moat at the Tower of London with 888,246 ceramic poppies.  Beautiful sight.  Still a link here.

Tower Of London Remembers - Remembrance Day

1410516116218_Image_galleryImage_LONDON_ENGLAND_SEPTEMBER_.JPG

We also purchased two of the poppies which were shipped to us after the exhibit was dismantled.  Proceeds supported a number of UK armed forces charities.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I've visited several WW2 museums in the UK, in particular the Imperial War Museum in London and Manchester, the Tank museum and the Northern PoW museum.

My Grandfather served in the second world war as a volunteer Royal Engineer (he was too old to be conscripted) and was sent over to Buchenwald to provide power, water and help as his unit were the closest engineers when the horrified Americans overran the camp. He never talked about what he saw there to anyone, but shortly before his death told me he and his comrades had made a promise to one another in the horror of that place to make their final task of life to take the hand of a trusted grandchild or great grandchild and tell what they saw, so that recipient could one day hold the hand of their chosen appointee and say "this hand touched the hand of a man who was there". In so doing they hoped the truth of these appalling crimes would never die as the idea is that appointee would do the same with the words "this hand touched the hand of a man who touched the hand of one who was there" which would they calculated provide authenticity.

I am the first grandchild of my grandfathers chain, I touched the hand of a man that was there. I will pass it on in around 2045, one hundred years after the monstrous discovery the truth will live on, no matter what the denyers or conspiracy theorists may say.

I'm visiting Aushwitz in August.

nmballoonist Platinum

brightlybob  What a touching story.  I am glad you are going to continue the chain.  It is important that knowledge like this is passed on.  As George Santayana said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".  May we never have a repeat of those atrocities. 

peymanagement Platinum

brightlybob that is a brilliant story between you and your granddad. I had the opportunity to visit Aushwitz in 1994, it was a very sobering thing, I assume you are going to Krakow which is a very beautiful city, home of the pope. I would like to go back there as I was there in the early days after the fall of the USSR  Next month I am going to Dachau, which I hear is tame compared to other concentration camps. It is important to pass the torch.

Thank you for sharing that with us, and keep that chain going for all of us!

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

Very powerful story brightlybob.  Thank you for sharing and for holding in trust this memory and experience for your Grandfather and countless others.  Very important.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

I got teary-eyed at what you wrote, brightlybob.  It's so important to pass this history down to future generations.  It is such a personal story -- thank you for sharing it with us.

I, too, will be visiting Auschwitz this summer.  I expect to cry most of the time I'm there, but I would not want to miss it.  I read recently that they are asking journalists (and others) to install an app, "Remember", which will correct the misinformation and incorrect terms which refer to the camp:  News / Museum / Auschwitz-Birkenau

I'll be thinking of you and your wonderful grandfather who volunteered to serve when I'm there as well, keeping him in my heart and remembering what horrors he had to live with after he left that place.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Thankyou all for your wonderful responses to my post.

When I see so much negative reaction in the press to those desperate refugees it does seem as of we're in danger of slipping back into an intolerant past so it's desperately important that the holocaust remains in our conciousness especially as here in the UK (via our stay or go EU referendum) and over with you in the USA (via your presidential election) the anti immigration agenda has taken a hugely over-inflated role when both votes have many other issues at stake that are falling by the wayside.

brightlybob and peymanagement,

Having been to both places multiple times, let me share this with you.

Aushwitz:

There is a nice hotel, Hotel Conradi, to stay.  No Marriotts.  A lovely city and walking is very easy to do, including visiting the wonderful Castle in town.  Now I would really recommend arranging to have an English speaking guide arrange a "Personal Tour", of Aushwitz.  The place is very busy, and if you get someone local to help you, you will be "Ahead of the crowd".  The place is a little "Overwhelming", but it is real, and sad.  Don't ever think it could not happen again, was what our guide stated!

Dachau:

Suburb of Munich, really small, and most interesting.  Drive or get a driver and plan on a few hours there.  Munich, is a most enjoyable town and Dachau is a "Grim Reminder" of  a historical nightmare.

Good luck to both of you on your informative travels, they will be very "Enlightening"!

Yes love Munich a wonderful city.  And as a teen in 1969 was on a tour of Europe with my parents and visited Dachau, WOW........................the air still had the aroma of the camp.  Grim is so correct.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...