20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2016 5:20 PM by wesleywc RSS

Pet fees or or an easy way to make money?

mofugr Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Can't hotels charge a "pet fee" only if there is any damage caused by the pet?  I have show dogs and travel to events all over the Southeastern United States.  Pet fees can range from $75.00 and up and are classified as a "sanitation fee" or "cleaning fee".  Basically I think this is a revenue generator.  My dogs are mature and don't do anything different in a hotel room than they do in their home.  I can understand that not all dogs are like this, however shouldn't it be handled on a case by case basis?  One General Manager when questioned about the charge told me that upon checkout, each room is completely sanitized, including steam cleaning of the carpet and drapes.  Not sure what she was smoking at the time but I know with 100% certainty that it doesn't happen.  It's hard enough to find a decent hotel that takes animals, and to then have to pay extra doesn't seem right.  There is at least one chain of hotels that I am aware of that doesn't charge any pet fee and the only reason I don't stay there is because I can't use my points so in the long run, even with the pet fee it is more affordable at Marriott.  Just frustrated I guess.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Pet fees or or an easy way to make money?
    phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Pets actually require extra cleaning, in order to make rooms habitable for those of us who are allergic.  There is an extra cost to the hotel for letting your dog or cat into the room, even when they don't do "damage".

I don't consider these fees unreasonable!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 4 Reviews

Hi mofugr.

I understand your frustrations first hand. However much has been written on this site pertaining to pets/pets fees etc...in regards to Marriott. If you search pets in the box at the top right corner of this page it will locate the threads for you. Pets can be a hot topic pro/con on MRI. My advice.......if you're just traveling through or on a short term stay.....choose La Quinta over Marriott where pets are always free. Also, it takes far fewer stays at La Quinta to reach the highest rewards level (called Elite).

Message was edited by: WesleyWC (Choose not Choice among other mistakes.......what? ITS FRIDAY!)

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi mofugr,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the pet fee policy imposed by some hotels, we appreciate your feedback and understand that not all policies will sit well with all Rewards members.

There have been several other threads on the community discussing both sides of the argument if you would like to read more Insiders points of view:

Re: Pet Friendly??

Re: Pet fees are getting out of control!!

Re: Pet Friendly Marriott Hotels?

Platinum 4 Reviews

PICT0376.JPG

FYI....there are some decent LQ's out there. This is my favorite one (LQ Edgewood/Aberdeen-South, MD)

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

mofugr, many of the Loews and Fairmont properties are pet friendly.  I just completed a stay at Loews Portofino Bay at Universal Orlando, and they have a VIP (very important pet) program and offer all kinds of pet amenities including room service.  But they do charge a fee of $50 a night or a maximum of $150 for 3+ nights.  Fairmont charges vary from $25 up to $75.

allaboutthefuture Gold

I feel your pain! I travel up and down the eastern seaboard and use Marriott as my usual hotel. I have almost 1 million points in my rewards account after being a member for many years. Sometimes, and not often, I have to take my dog on business trips, one night stay here, one night stay there. The pet fees are horrible! I'm going to the DC area this weekend and just learned that not only is there a $150 pet fee for the stay, but also a $15.00/day "boarding fee"!!!!!! That's a new one! Their pet fees FAR exceed any other hotel chain and, like you, I find it impossible to believe they steam clean the room upon departure. Hilton has a much more lenient policy and many of their Hampton Inns charge nothing. I find the Hilton hotels to be beautiful, clean and well maintained. My choice from now on is Hilton.

Platinum 4 Reviews

I never stay at a Marriott if I'm traveling with my dog and its just a one night stay due to the pet fee (unless its a particular hotel I really want to experience.....which is unusual)

Reasons:

* Marriott's pet fee is out of line compared to most of its competitors.

* Marriott uses its pet fee (called a deposit) as a deterrent.  Marriott should either, just not allow pets period....OR reduce its fees IMO.

* One doesn't receive reward points for the pet fee.

Which DC area hotel charges a boarding fee? I've not heard of this before. If it's called a boarding fee....seems Marriott would then have a duty of care. Interesting.

allaboutthefuture Gold

The Marriott in Alexandria Virginia. I've since cancelled my stay there and instead booked at a Kimpton Hotel - same excellent location, gorgeous appointments, yoga mats in every room, and bikes are provided along with evening wine and a $10.00 credit to the in room bar. Plus NO PET FEE. The room rates are almost exactly the same as the Marriott. Marriott take note - THIS is what pet friendly looks like. As someone mentioned on this blog also, La Quinta is great with the pet thing.

I'm using Marriott less and less for several reasons, one other is the diminishing value of my points. I hope to spend them before they further amp up the number of points required for a stay at their hotels.

I've enjoyed this chain for a long time, and their international locations are fantastic. They typically offer predictable accommodations. However, for my routine travel I'll be looking at other options.    

seatexan Platinum

I take my dog on road trips and board him at a local place, not at the hotel.  While it is wonderful to bring your fluffy loved one, and I am all for road warrior pets, I can understand steep pet fees.  I am REALLY allergic to cats. My face will swell up and my eyes will be red and itchy.    It's sad because I LOVE cats.

My mother would need to be rushed to the ER she is so allergic to them. 

I don't think Marriott would want that on their hands.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

SeaTexan, one of my family members is deathly allergic to both cats and dogs.  We're talking hospital/ER serious, just like your mother.  I absolutely love animals and have had cats, dogs, rabbits, a horse, and other animals throughout my life.  But my family's health comes first, so no more animals for me.  And I obviously try to avoid hotels where there is a chance that the prior inhabitant had a cat or dog in the room.  I don't think people without these types of allergies really understand the severity.  Having said that, I'm all for certain wings of the hotel being pet friendly as long as there are some rooms where pets are not allowed.  It pains me to say this because I truly love animals and completely understand the need for pet parents to have a place to stay that's pet friendly.

homoviator Platinum

I'd like to see some special rooms that are sort of hypo-allergenic rooms where the absolutely don't let pet owners use.  I saw a few rooms like that on a search the other day in California.  I wonder if  there is much demand for those.

allaboutthefuture Gold

SeaTexan, you make a good point. Stipulating certain rooms of the hotel that are pet friendly should relieve allergy sufferers from any concern. And, I have seen this in practice at Marriott hotels. However, some others have mentioned that they understand the high fees that Marriott charges. It infers that the more a person is charged for their pet the more the hotel does once they're gone and I think that's bunk. Certainly other good brand name hotels, who charge nothing, or much less, provide excellent cleaning services for their incoming guests who may occupy that room. If they didn't, those with allergies who visit these other hotels would have unfortunate events like the one you describe all the time. I suspect that if I had allergies I'd select a hotel that didn't allow any pets. This is the majority of hotels and this would assure that guest that they wouldn't suffer.

Platinum 4 Reviews

I don't see the correlation between steep pet fees and keeping the hotel/room environment clean and safe for the people who are allergic to pets given that other hotels charge so much less or even nothing for pets.

Marriott doesn't do anything different than other hotel chains to make one's room allergy free. In fact, most hotels including Marriott do absolutely nothing besides vacuum the room after a pet has been in the room (despite what they say).

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I once checked into a Marriott property where the room I was assigned had wet carpet throughout.  I was told that the carpets had been steam cleaned because a pet had occupied the room previous to me.  Maybe some properties are more vigilant about the cleaning? 

peymanagement Platinum

I think with all of the allergy issues, Marriott would do more that what you say but I do not know. What I do know is that one of the chains aforementioned  manages their free pet friendly process by having (usually unknown to the guest) designated pet rooms/floors, not dissimilar to the days of smoking/non-smoking rooms.   

Platinum 4 Reviews

Marriott should do more I agree....but in my experience they don't. Certainly not any more than any other hotel chain I use, so the extremely high pet fee is only justified by the reason that they "Can" charge that amount. Essentially one pays upward to $150 a stay for a pet in room magnet, a dog waste bag (on the premises), and if you're lucky an associate will greet your pet. Some rooms get steam cleaned afterwards true....but most don't.

At IHG (that allow pets) and LQ all rooms are available to pets besides a few hotels (in my experience) that put pets on the first floor. The Hiltons I stay at are long-term hotels and they also allow pets on all floors. I can't speak to other Hiltons nor for all Hiltons but I'm fine with the one floor policy.

I understand Marriott's pet policy and I accept it, but its a money grab pure and simple compared to other hotel chains. Marriott chooses to use its pet policy as a deterrent.

Platinum 4 Reviews

Redskins3.jpg

The owner of this poor/sad dog should not be allowed in a Marriott no matter what!  Marriott....lets put an end to such cruel and unusual punishment by allowing the dog in (minus the Cowboy crapola) and make the owner sleep in the car. HTTR

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...