7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2016 3:17 PM by curiousone RSS

Earning Marriott Rewards for MVCI guest stays?

billtron Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I have recently taken over management of my in-laws' Marriott Vacation Club timeshare weeks and points and there's a steep learning curve. When I exchange a week on Interval International for another Marriott resort and use a guest certificate to stay there myself, can I earn Rewards points for the stay?  When I book a Marriott Resort getaway through Interval International and CondoDirect, can I earn Rewards points for those stays?

If there's a FAQ somewhere that explains all this, I'd really appreciate your help locating it. Thank you!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Earning Marriott Rewards for MVCI guest stays?
    kjdz Platinum

Timeshare units are basically prepaid accommodations, so staying or exchanging gives you no Rewards points as no money has been spent.  You do get credit for days spent toward Elite status.  You have the option of converting full timeshare weeks into Rewards points at a predetermined value.  If your inlaws participated in the Destination point program, you can convert timeshare weeks into Destination points (totally different scale) for use in staying at other Marriott timeshares.  You can call owner services at MVCI and ask questions about the reservation process and the different point conversion process and the deadlines for various options.  They are very patient and helpful.  Good luck.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great insight, kjdz!  Thanks for sharing. 

billtron, if you have any additional questions, let us know!

billtron Silver

Will do! Is there a FAQ to help new Marriott Reward members learn the lay of the land and begin maximizing rewards earnings?    

billtron Silver

Thanks, kjdz. If I'm hearing you correctly, I can earn Elite nights for a week my in-laws have gifted to me (in my name rather than theirs). We've used the Destination points program too, but I've never tried it without them, so I don't know what the equivalent of an Interval guest certificate would be there. I'm assuming if the intra-Marriott Destination Points exchange were in my name I would earn Elite nights there too? We are planning such a stay in December 2017 at Imperial Palms.

Any ideas about Interval getaways, which I pay out of pocket but at a discount thanks to the Interval membership? (It's a great way to get 1br units for under $70 a night during low seasons, which is why I use it.)

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

billtron, my understanding is that you get elite night credit for each stay at a MVCI that you book as an MVCI owner, whether it's a deeded week at a particular resort, or Destination points, or MVCI trust points, or of course if you pay cash which MVCI owners can do, often at a discounted rate.  But if you book a MVCI through Interval International (which you can do if you have an II membership as part of your MVCI membership), then you don't get elite night credits from MR because you used what Marriott considers to be a "third party site" to book the stay.  No third party bookings qualify for MR points.

Enjoy Imperial Palms.  I am a regular at Sabal Palms and Royal Palms, and they are both nice properties, so I imagine Imperial Palms is as well!

alltooff Platinum

be sure to have them add your Marriott Rewards account # to your reservation - confirm it when you check in -- or you might not get the elite night credits applied automatically to your account.  this happened to me and i spent a lot of time on phone with Marriott to get it resolved.

curiousone Platinum

Yes, it is a step learning curve, but worth the effort in my opinion. I have never seen an FAQs posted, but I have seen good comments offered on this forum. I second the comment that you should contact MVCI customer service and explain your situation. Not sure if they will require some kind of written notification from your in-laws. While I used to trade my weeks thru II, ever since the conversion to Destination Club I have not been back to II. I think that I get more value from staying with Marriott. A big benefit, again in my opinion, is the ability to convert my weeks/DC Points to Marriott Rewards points. This allows you to stay at Marriott hotels or participate in the Marriott Travel Packages. Without a doubt the Marriott Travel Package is the best value currently offered by Marriott. I use the TP and send 120,000 MR points to Southwest Airlines in early Jan every other year. The MR points convert to SW Reward points 1:1 and once I have 110,000 SW points in my account I get a free companion pass for my wife. She then flies with me for free for the next 23 1/2 months (We have to pay the ticket taxes). Keep in mind that Marriott and Marriott Vacation Club are two separate corporations. Marriott continues to allow MVCI to use the Marriott name and Marriott gives elite night credits because MVCI pays Marriott big bucks every year for the privilege. This relationship could end at any time. (I hope it does not). Also, if you are getting into this game, be sure to get the Marriott Chase Visa Signature credit card. Get more MR points based on your spending and you get one free elite night credit for every $3,000 of spending.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...