64 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2017 12:10 PM by shaunfromcolumbus,ohio RSS

Road Warriors - how many of these have you experienced?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

How many of these have you experienced, and when/where?

1.  Having to vacate your hotel room because of a fire alarm or other emergency?

2.  Being "walked" to a different hotel?

3.  Exercising the platinum guarantee (which probably means someone else gets walked)?

4.  Having a flight diverted to somewhere other than your destination?

5.  Being upgraded to a huge suite?

6.  Unauthorized charges showed up on your hotel bill?

7.  Being stranded overnight somewhere by an airline?

8.  Missing your flight?

9.  Missing a connecting flight?

10. Leaving a hotel in the middle of a stay because you couldn't stand the thought of another night there?

11.  Being given a room key to a room already occupied by someone else, or vice-versa?

12.  Your taxi, limo, train, bus or airplane got into an accident?

13.  Bedbugs?

14.  Full administrative search by TSA?

15.  Free upgrade to first class?

Here are my answers:

1.  Yes - Omni Parkerhouse in Boston - fire alarm in the middle of the night.

2.  No.

3.  Yes - JW Marriott Chicago during the Home Show.  Also World Center during Heckerling Institute.

4.  Yes - took off from ORD, got half-way to destination, then went back to ORD.

5.  Yes - JW Marriott Chicago.

6.  Yes - Mayflower and World Center.

7.  Yes - DEN by UA.

8.  Yes - ORD because of traffic, and RSW because I took a wrong turn and got lost.

9.  Yes - ORD because I left the terminal and didn't get back in time.

10. Yes - Residence Inn by hockey area in Fargo, ND.  Key phrase here is "by hockey arena."

11. No.

12. No.

13. No.

14.  Yes.  Trying to board Allegiant flight at FSD.  Had to go into private room at TSA.

15. Yes - once on AA and once on DL at gate agent's discretion.  Others due to elite status on airlines.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Orlando, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Orlando World Center Marriott
  • Re: Road Warriors - how many of these have you experienced?
    browncrew Gold 14 Reviews

Great questions!

#1 For sure, Las Vegas in Dec.

#4 From LAX to Denver and went to Salt Lake because of bad weather.

#7 in Detroit during the winter!!!

#14 In Omaha of all places.

#15 Flying back from Orlando on a red eye.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

1. Yes (fire alarm at 4am at an extended stay property sometime around 2000/2001)

2. No

3. No

4. Yes (AUA - CLT by way of FLL for a plane swap on 2/28/16)

5. Yes (a few times, but the Gaylord Texan might have been the biggest room to date)

6. Yes (don't recall where/when, but someone's meal showed up on my bill)

7. Yes (a few times most recently 2/28/16 in CLT)

8. Yes (stuck in traffic on I-635 trying to get to DFW Aug 2014)

9. Yes (a few times including 2/28/16 in CLT)

10. Yes (years ago at a bargain chain with paper thin walls and noisy neighbors - they left the light on for me ).

11. No

12. No

13. Thankfully no

14. No

15. Yes (on UA from SMF-IAH March 2015 - the one time the UA SIlver really came thru )

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

no to 13 and 14, yes to all others....

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

No to # 2 ( the one walk I was offered I turned down and opted for a cabin I had my eye on anyway), 13 (thank goodness) & 14 (thank goodness).

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

4.  Having a flight diverted to somewhere other than your destination? Only for refueling

6.  Unauthorized charges showed up on your hotel bill? Only stupid auto-charging fridges

7.  Being stranded overnight somewhere by an airline? Yes, I believe in Ilo-Ilo in The Philippines

9.  Missing a connecting flight? The one after the one mentioned in #4

IMG_0244.JPG

Who would've thought that tiny piece of plywood was appropriate coverage for an open manhole?

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Hey clebert, thanks this was fun.  I have one to add to your list.  In light of all the riff-raff on flights lately, how about has anyone ever experienced a fight on a plane?  Not me but interested in hearing what others have to say about that one.

1. Only once many years ago at a Hilton in Wilmingotn, DE.  Fire alarm; luckily just an alarm, no real fire.

2. Only once about ten years ago but they did pay for a cab from a Courtyard in Washington DC to the Residence Inn near Capitol Hill.  Got in very late and they had given my room away; was able to get in the next day so not really a big deal.

3. I’ve never been Platinum only Gold.

4. Amazingly after nearly 27 years of flying this has never happened to me.

5. Yes, a few upgrades to large suites, Washington DC and Minneapolis full service Marriott properties; not many but not really a priority for me.

6. Gosh maybe once or twice but I can’t remember specifics.

7. Many, many times. LAX, SFO, ORD, LGA, IAD, DEN; most of the United hubs but I took it all in stride and made the most of it.

8. Believe it or not, only once (not a connecting flight).  In LAX waiting for a commuter flight to MRY many years ago when they still had a bus you had to take to another terminal for the commuter flights. They announced the MRY flight and I simply did not hear it.  Luckily got on the next flight so not too much inconvenience.

9. Many, many times.

10. Never.

11. Oh my gosh, yes but only once.  Many years ago at the Beverly Heritage in San Jose.  I walked into what I thought was my room, laid my purse down on the desk and noticed a pair of eyeglasses on it.  At first I thought maybe someone just forgot them but then for some strange reason I walked directly to the closet, opened it, and saw a bunch of men’s clothing hanging there.  I left very quickly and went back to front desk where they apologized profusely.  Just a note about safety, I always, always, always engage the dead bolt lock and use the fold over lock as soon as I enter my room.

12. Nope never. Gosh is my good luck about to run out? I hope not.

13. Again, nope never, thank goodness.

14. Only once when I was moving from Tucson back to Minnesota; I had a lot of jewelry I didn’t want to pack in checked baggage for obvious reasons so I had it all wrapped up in tissue paper and baggies and they had to search through the jewelry as well as me.  I knew the female TSA agent so it really didn’t bother me.

15. Many, many times. I’ve flown over two million miles on United and this used to happen on a regular basis, not on a regular basis these days but still grateful when I do get upgraded.

superchief1 Platinum

I haven't yet experienced a fight on a plane, but recently had some trouble makers on the Southwest Chief with Amtrak. A large group of Trump protesters boarded in Chicago and some started a few fights on the train, including one in the dining car. They eventually were met by police in Winslow and taken to jail. Luckily, the fights weren't near us and we had a great trip. They may still be in Winslow trying to get back to LA. The Amtrak staff did a great job handling the situation..

nmballoonist Platinum

1, 2 & 3 - No

4 - Tucson instead of Phoenix due to thunderstorms in Phoenix.  Three hours later flight made it to Phoenix.  See #7.

5 - Yes. JW Marriott Las Vegas.  2 BR, 2.5 Bath, probably about 2000 sq ft.  And it was just me.

6 - Yes

7 - Yes. Due to number 4, wife and I missed our flight which was the last flight out of Phx to Abq.  By the time it we were rebooked on the first flight out the next day, around 6 AM it was about midnight.  Without luggage and figuring we only had about 3 - 4 hours at hotel, spent the night in the Phx airport with about half dozen other people in the same boat.

8 - No

9 - Yes, see number 7.

10 thru 14 - No.  Although a couple of times where flight returned to departure airport due to "mechanical issues" after takeoff.  Landing gear not retracting.  Very glad I can answer #13 & 14 as No.

15 - Yes.  A couple of times many years ago on TWA direct flights from ABQ to IAD.  Nothing recent.  I fly Southwest 99% of the time, where "every seat is first class" according to some of their gate announcements.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I'm not really a road warrior and travelled extensively for only two years of my career.

Nevertheless, # 1 at a Radison in VA Beach.

#5 multiple times, and enjoyed them all.

#7 & #9  Stranded in Phoenix overnight because we missed our connecting flight to Anchorage.

#15 Upgraded due to elite status, due to Marriott/United program.

vertol46 Platinum

Upon request, I was upgraded to an enormous suite at the Orlando World Center Marriott. I let my daughter have the room. It was so big, she was afraid to stay there by herself. (My room was on another floor.) I had to talk her into it. The next day, she hosted a dinner party in the room for other family members. I had to laugh.

Location Brand Hotel
    Orlando, Florida, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Orlando World Center Marriott
    brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Great quiz, clebert, just right for all us travel junkies. So for me...

1.  Having to vacate your hotel room because of a fire alarm or other emergency?

Yes, thankfully just an alarm, and it was summer. The Quality Hotel at Birmingham.

No, but at $200 and 90,000 points for a walk I suspect all Plats are very low on that list.

3.  Exercising the platinum guarantee (which probably means someone else gets walked)?

Yes, many times (sorry to whoever got walked for me)

No, in fact I've only been significantly delayed (more than 3 hours) once. But I've only had a connecting flight once.

Yes, many suite upgrades as a Plat/Gold the 2 most memorable being a weekend points stay at the Champs Elysees Marriott to a 3 floor Champs Elysees suite, and the other for a week stay at the Budapest Boscolo. Huge corner bath!

Yes, had a spate of finding other people's bar bills on my room, not so common now.

No, thank goodness!

8.  Missing your flight?

No, but it I've always lived less than half an hour from my local airport, and if using a non-local usually do a hotel park-and-fly beforehand.

No, as above, I normally fly point-to-point

10. Leaving a hotel in the middle of a stay because you couldn't stand the thought of another night there?

Yes, awful place in Portsmouth, since (very rightly) demolished.

11.  Being given a room key to a room already occupied by someone else, or vice-versa?

Yes, more recently just a few months ago by the Marriott Forest Of Arden, They were very non-plussed when I returned asking for a room of my own!

No, but when we visited Orlando with the kids I arranged a limo transfer from the airport. It was pouring with rain on arrival and the limos sunroof leaked real, real bad. The water cascaded down the limo bar, it was quite impressive! The driver did say he'd have to stop and swap us out to another but luckily the storm abruptly ended so we were able to complete the journey.

13.  Bedbugs?

No, yuk!

No, yuk!

No, alas I've never flown first or business class, paid or free, always economy or (3 legs only) premium. This has much to do with the fact that 90% of my flights are with budget economy-only carriers. Mind you I am flying to TIPPLE with UA, so I'm expecting my Silver UA status (courtesy of Marriott Plat) to come through for me

brightlybob, let us know how your UK-US flight goes in Sept.  We are planning a trip to the UK and not sure which airline to take this time.  All of my prior US-UK trips were on Delta which was fine but nothing special. 

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

HI, clebert. I intend to do a pretty full rundown of my Civil War/TIPPLE/Research trip posting here, and I'll give a full critique of my UA flight, though I don't have many economy long-hauls airlines to compare with having only flown Air Transat (7 legs), Emirates (2 legs), Delta (2 legs), US (2 legs), Virgin (2 legs), BA (once) and Air Canada (once).

Non-Economy wise I've flown 2 Premium Economy legs with Thomson, one Premium Economy leg with Air Transat and my honeymoon Upper Class return with Virgin (Thanks Marriott Travel Package).

All my economy intercontinental flights have been satisfactory, save a crushingly bad broken seat with Air Canada. The Delta, US and BA flights were especially unmemorable. Emirates I remember was particularly good, as was Virgin Economy and Air Transat is both very cheap, and paying the supplement for the 2x2 seats near the back probably the best transatlantic economy flights to be had.

It does however need bearing in mind that my "normal" is RyanScare and SqueezyJet where the vast majority of my flights go (even my trips to Moscow, Egypt and Morocco) so all these intercontinentals have been models of space and comfort! Maybe I should thank RyanAir and EasyJet for setting my expectations low!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews
    1. Yes. 1994 during my 50th birthday weekend at a top hotel in the Cotswolds.
    2. No
    3. No.  Never been Platinum
    4. No
    5. Yes. Several times.  London.
    6. Yes. Someone else’s bar bill on a business stay in Birmingham, UK.
    7. No
    8. No
    9. No
    10. Yes. Leicester UK on business.  I’m sure it was a place of ill repute!
    11. Yes, several times.  Notably in Bournemouth UK, and London UK.  Both on business.  Neither was a Marriott.
    12. No
    13. No.
    14. Sort of. Denied machine check in from Amsterdam to USA.  Someone with same name on no fly list.  Check in desk sorted it out quickly as I was 61 and white; the other person was 23 and black!  Unfortunately, it kept happening for 2 years, even though TSA said they had sorted it out.
    15. No, but have been upgraded to business class.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

NO on 13/14 yes aon all the others and it caused me to bring back some very bad memories.one more to add was having a flight aborted at last few seconds. a flight going dfw was very close to landing when the pilot noticed another plane has just turned onto the runway right in our landing spot so we went straight up like a exec jet would do .

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Only 12 of 15....

Fortunately, no bedbugs ... yet....

To answer insidenji about fights on planes, I've seen a few minor ones:

CLT-ORD on AA - middle-aged woman boarded plane at the last minute and threw a fit that overhead bins were full, then she took young (high school or college age) male passenger's duffel bag out of the overhead bin and demanded that he put it under his seat.  She just yanked his stuff down, demanded to know who the owner was, then literally threw it on him and acted like he was some type of criminal for using overhead space.  He was a lot nicer than I would have been, but it was a bit of a scuffle getting things situated.  Ended up delaying departure, the FAs were annoyed, and the captain had to make an announcement asking people to basically sit down and shut up.  It was snowing at CLT and everyone was kind of panicked about getting out before the airport shut down (which it did shortly after we took off). 

MCO-MSP on DL - two very heavy-set ladies got into a tiff about each other taking up too much space, bringing on too many shopping bags full of Disney tchotchkes and about overhead space and had a very heated fight in a thick Southern accent.  . Colorful metaphors were exchanged.  FA had to intervene.  Weird thing is that I think they were related and traveling together.

Can't remember route or airline, but there was one not too long ago on a small CRJ with 2 seats on each side and no middle row.  Woman with lap child was seated in the bulkhead next to older lady.  Lap child screamed, cried, squirmed and threw a full-blown tantrum as we were taxi-ing for take off.  He kicked and screamed and started flailing around, etc.  Older lady read the mother the riot act about controlling her child and started pontificating about how children don't belong on planes, how the child was too old to be a lap child (which may have been true), how the mother should be ashamed of herself, etc.  Plane was full so FA had to find someone to switch seats with older lady.  I volunteered but I was in the row behind the bulkhead and not far enough away to properly separate the combatants.    

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Once, but I can't remember where.

Not at a Marriott property.

No.

Diverted from DC to Baltimore.

Marriott Buffalo Niagara.

Luckily, no.

Newark Liberty Airport flying Air Canada.

8.  Missing your flight?

No.

Yes, in Amsterdam.

No.

Once.

No.

13.  Bedbugs?

Thankfully, no.

No.

I'm not a frequent flier, but once, many years ago, on British Airways, from Toronto to London.

Platinum 4 Reviews

Interesting thread. My answers closely resemble those of everyone else except I did have the misfortune of #13 at a hotel. I was required to sign and fax in a non-disclosure form for my settlement so I won't name the hotel here. Also no to #4 and #14.

vertol46 Platinum

#10. I checked out at 9pm from an older RI because the temperature in the room was above 80°F. The front desk clerk had come into my room a couple hours earlier to open a valve for the air conditioning (by raising a ceiling tile in the closet!), but to no effect. (There was an unseasonably warm spell in December.) Couldn't sleep there a second night, so I checked out. Front desk clerk was sympathetic and professional. Checked into a Renaissance and had a very good sleep.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

Here are mine:

1. yes, Marriott county hall, many times

2 yes, once at a Sheraton in Indy, have never stayed at a Starwood property again, and last year, Ren Times Sq NY, posed a thread about that one, it was a doozy

3.yes, see #2 on Ren TS

4. Yes, flight from ORD to Des Moines, diverted to Cedar Rapids, Flight from Ord to LGA, diverted to Syracuse, NY and many more

5. yes, Chicago ren, upgraded to a suite with a living room, what a treat

6. Yes, movies I didn't watch or order, minibar when I even refused the key, my favorite was a $12,000 charge for use of banquet facility at a Marriott (not to be named) that posted another guests wedding to my bill. To add insult to injury, I checked in the week AFTER that event, had nothing to do with That event and when I went to the FD, the clerk told me I had authorize the charge. When I asked to see the form or paper, they produce it and even after I showed the FD my DL and passport, which clearly show I am not the person on the form, they accused me of coming up with fake ID to get out of the charge. I laughed so hard, good thing I didn't take it seriously, spoke to manager, who apologized and ensured the FD clerk (a P/T from a local college) got a good counseling session and was given a fair number of points as an apology

7.yes, more times than I can count. Benn stranded due to snow, volcanoes, thunder and lightning, pilot or FA timeouts, plane mechanicals, a baggage handler wildcat strike, and always far from home.

8.yes, missed a flight to London from JFK due to massive traffic delays on VWE to JFK.

9. yes, transit thru ATL, ORD, IAH, and have missed many connecting flights over time

10. Nope, never left a hotel as the alternative, like sleeping in my rental car, just didn't seem like a good alternative.

11.yes, has happened about 5 time in last 3 years. The whole mobile App, thing seems to create more problems like this then it solves

12. Once, had a cab in San Juan PR come to a short stop and tapped the bumper of car in front, the yelling in Spanish was incredible, saw the Cab driver giver the other car driver $20 and then we went on our way (yeah, I know, it was 1986, so $20 went allot further then).

13, no, not that I know of, and all I can say is ewwwwwwww!

14.yes, last year, even with precheck, insisted I have a full search, never given a reason, an it was very invasive and I filed a complaint.

15. in the aftermath of 9/11, I was taking trips right after the airspace was re-opened. I was given allot of free upgrades, the pilots used to come back during the flight a personally thank me for my business, No much since then

stelzer001, being charged for someone else's wedding really takes the cake!  Pun intended

I've not had a cabbie crash in San Juan, but I've had truly awful experiences with cabs there.  I think it's safe to say that every cabbie there tries to rip you off.  Now I rent a car, and that's not exactly risk free because the drivers there are insanely aggressive.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great thread clebert!  Have definitely enjoyed reading through these.  

peymanagement Platinum
    1. Yes, Many times
    2. Nope. not at Marriott
    3. Nope, I have asked but I am pretty cheap and the guarantee is not
    4. Yep, my only visit to New York City, the day that Eastern went bankrupt while I was in the air.
    5. Yes, prime ministers suite on election day in Ottawa at the Fairmont., I guess he did not need it as he was was in Shawinigan.
    6. Yes a few times, never a dispute though.
    7. Yes Buffalo, Clearwater, Chicago and LAS.
    8. Yes a few times but worst in Frankfurt, had to spend night there
    9. Yes, that just goes with the territory.
    10. Yes, but not a Marriott
    11. Yes, but not a Marriott
    12. Nope
    13. Nope
    14. Nope
    15. Yes, a few times, but best was coming back from Seoul, I had no status on Aeroplan, but the air Canada Gate agent moved me up because I was nice to her right after a guy gave her a hard time. Flat seat, 14 hour flight, lots of sleep.

peymanagement, I was an unaccompanied minor trying to get home from visiting an older sibling who lived in Los Angeles on the old Frontier when it went belly up in the mid-1980s.  Luckily I got home ok, but I think I ended up flying on one of the last flights before operations stopped abruptly!

boudreausean Platinum

1.  Having to vacate your hotel room because of a fire alarm or other emergency? - Yes and it was completely scary to me as a I was in an accessible room at the Denver Marriott Park Meadows (It was sold out and that was all they had) and around 2AM the alarms all go off, I peeked out my door and saw people evacuating so I put shoes on and a hoodie and walked down. All was fine, it was just a small electrical smell that sent the alarm off. HOWEVER, people were truly AWFUL! They all complained that the bar was closed, that it was cold, that they were inconvenienced. It was terrible human behavior.

2.  Being "walked" to a different hotel? - Never.

3.  Exercising the platinum guarantee (which probably means someone else gets walked)? - Yes - a few times!

4.  Having a flight diverted to somewhere other than your destination? - Yes

5.  Being upgraded to a huge suite? - Yes! - Wrap-around suite overlooking the Bellagio Fountains at The Cosmopolitan.

6.  Unauthorized charges showed up on your hotel bill? - Yes.

7.  Being stranded overnight somewhere by an airline? - Yes.

8.  Missing your flight? - Never!

9.  Missing a connecting flight? - Yes - airlines fault.

10. Leaving a hotel in the middle of a stay because you couldn't stand the thought of another night there? - Yes! The FI Syosset, NY.

11.  Being given a room key to a room already occupied by someone else, or vice-versa? - Yes! And walked in on while in the shower!

12.  Your taxi, limo, train, bus or airplane got into an accident? - Taxi's - all the time - I live in Chicago. Uber X drivers are even worse!

13.  Bedbugs? - Nope - THANK GOD!

14.  Full administrative search by TSA? Nope.

15.  Free upgrade to first class? Semi-frequently as I'm 1K with United.

jjett30169 Member

Yes to free upgrade to first class. It pays to stay with Delta and earn points. When first class isn't full they'll upgrade the person with the best status on that flight.

jjett30169, I agree about Delta.  The day after I made silver elite, I got a first class upgrade on a red-eye back to the Mainland from Honolulu.  Best perk ever!  I'm also silver on United and get a fair amount of upgrades on United as well.  American is not so good as you typically need those 500-mile upgrade certs which are hard to come by, although I did recently get a discretionary upgrade when first class was totally empty.  Too bad SkyPesos are not worth all that much.  And I don't like routing through MSP which is totally out of the way and a hard airport to navigate unless you really enjoy schlepping luggage.

jjett30169 Member

Yes to free upgrade to first class. It pays to stay with Delta and earn points. When first class isn't full they'll upgrade the person with the best status on that flight.

mrbmbrown Platinum

1.  Having to vacate your hotel room because of a fire alarm or other emergency? - Yes, multiple times.

2.  Being "walked" to a different hotel? - Yes, a few years ago (got the "guarantee" payment for it too!)

3.  Exercising the platinum guarantee (which probably means someone else gets walked)? - Multiple times a year.

4.  Having a flight diverted to somewhere other than your destination? - Yes, pilot tried landing during a Tornado Warning in Alabama.

5.  Being upgraded to a huge suite? - Multiple Times (best was a Marriott in NJ, upgraded to Ambassador Suite)

6.  Unauthorized charges showed up on your hotel bill? - Regularly - usually it is mini-bar or "water" left in the room.

7.  Being stranded overnight somewhere by an airline? - Really? At least a few times a year (though usually due to weather)

8.  Missing your flight? - Really the same as #7, but it could be different, of course, a few times a year I oversleep for that early flight - Thank God for prepaid Airfare.

9.  Missing a connecting flight? - Several times a year. Just happened last month twice.

10. Leaving a hotel in the middle of a stay because you couldn't stand the thought of another night there? - Yes. This year, I left a Suite Upgrade at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay - HORRIBLE Hotel. Hyatt was nice enough to give me my Diamond Upgrade back and bonus points for the crummy experience.

11.  Being given a room key to a room already occupied by someone else, or vice-versa? - Oh yea, was given a key to a room that had been "used" by hotel staff as a "love nest."

12.  Your taxi, limo, train, bus or airplane got into an accident? Yes. Several years ago in NYC.

13.  Bedbugs? - No, Thank Goodness!

14.  Full administrative search by TSA? - Yes, usually once a year, even though I have Pre, Nexus and Global Entry.

15.  Free upgrade to first class? - Yes, Have only flown coach once in 200K miles so far this year, including international.

Another question how close to landing have you been when the pilot aborted . A couple of months ago we were no more than 500 feet when pilot noticed the plane landing in font of us haven't vacated the runway

mrbmbrown Platinum

Close a few times, once on a trip back from CDG, once on a trip back from SLU and most recently on a trip back from SAN. All DL... which makes me wonder (given they landed at an air force base instead of an airport a couple of days ago)... what is going on with their radar systems?

And it isn't that all my travel in on DL. EP on AA, Diamond on DL, Gold on UA and MVP75 on Alaska this year.

stelzer001 Platinum 2 Reviews

overshooting the runway! yup. Maybe some remember when AA had a camera in the cockpit so you can watch the landing (late 1980's). Watched the pilot try to land a 747 at JFK by number 3 on the runway. We pulled up so fast that the g-force was fierce!!!!! Has happened a few times since, but that one is one I really remember, since we could see it on the screen (the old ones the FA's took down from the ceiling, like a projector screen) and itr was so obvious, I think 2/3 of the cabin let out a gasp when they saw what was going on. Pilot came on and said "sorry folk, guess we overshot the runway, we aced it the second time. Talk about an understatement!

Travel22 Member

Apologies for my curiosity but I'm intrigued by how many you answered. What line of work are you in that gives you the awesome benefit of so much travel? Any recommendations for a must stay location?

No bed bugs and no traffic accident but yes to the rest

702rugbyref Platinum

Luckier than most I think given the amount of travel I do...

1.  Having to vacate your hotel room because of a fire alarm or other emergency?   NO

2.  Being "walked" to a different hotel?  NO

3.  Exercising the platinum guarantee (which probably means someone else gets walked)?  NO

4.  Having a flight diverted to somewhere other than your destination?  NO

5.  Being upgraded to a huge suite? Yes..last week in Xi'an China Hilton - Ambassador Suite :-)

6.  Unauthorized charges showed up on your hotel bill? YES

7.  Being stranded overnight somewhere by an airline? United in Newark ..UGHHHH...Hurrricane Sandy

8.  Missing your flight? NO

9.  Missing a connecting flight?  Amazingly no

10. Leaving a hotel in the middle of a stay because you couldn't stand the thought of another night there? No but CLOSE

11.  Being given a room key to a room already occupied by someone else, or vice-versa? YES

12.  Your taxi, limo, train, bus or airplane got into an accident? NO

13.  Bedbugs? NO

14.  Full administrative search by TSA? Yes Phoenix airport after I challenged the dumba$$ security for disrespecting an elderly couple

15.  Free upgrade to first class? 90% + I am upgraded :-) TY AA

Jsucool76 Gold

I'm not exactly a road warriorr, but i'll chime in

1.  Having to vacate your hotel room because of a fire alarm or other emergency? Yep (Was a drunk wedding guest)

2.  Being "walked" to a different hotel? Nope.

3.  Exercising the platinum guarantee (which probably means someone else gets walked)? N/A

4.  Having a flight diverted to somewhere other than your destination? Nope

5.  Being upgraded to a huge suite? One I consider huge. Got upgraded to an Exec Suite at the Cologne Marriott for an 8 night stay.

6.  Unauthorized charges showed up on your hotel bill? Definitely

7.  Being stranded overnight somewhere by an airline? Nope

8.  Missing your flight? Thankfully No

9.  Missing a connecting flight? We'll see on my way to TIPPLE. 40 min transfer time. Not yet though.

10. Leaving a hotel in the middle of a stay because you couldn't stand the thought of another night there? No, thankfully.

11.  Being given a room key to a room already occupied by someone else, or vice-versa? Not yet

12.  Your taxi, limo, train, bus or airplane got into an accident? No

13.  Bedbugs? Ew. NO!

14.  Full administrative search by TSA? No

15.  Free upgrade to first class? No

My answers are pretty uneventful compared to some of the others.

superchief1 Platinum

I think I've had almost all of these occur except (so far) the bedbugs. I traveled to Europe a lot during the first Gulf War and it is interesting that my only travel problems were due to the IRA (and I'm Irish).

• First, I was detained at Heathrow because they were looking for an IRA member with the same last name. They finally called my company's office and let met through.
    • On another trip, I had to stay at my hotel in London for a day because of an IRA bomb nearby.
    • On the plus side, I had several great flights, train trips (Zurich to Milan)  and hotel stays in Europe during that time because people weren't traveling. I actually worked out 'with Madonna' at the Carlton Tower gym.  I primarily took trains and non-US airlines within Europe, but never had any issues.

I got also stuck in Denver and Fargo, ND for a few days due to blizzards.

mrbmbrown Platinum

Interesting.... never had an IRA experience.

superchief1, I did a lot of UK trips during "the Troubles" and it was invariable one or more Tube stations would be shut down during part of the trip for a bombing or potential bombing.  I distinctly remember a trip in Feb. 1993 when Kensington Station was bombed, and of course that was my nearest station.  I don't remember being particularly scared or worried about it, and the Londoners didn't seem to be either. Maybe I am remembering it with rose-colored glasses...

rbwallace Platinum

3-4 times - but being a Fire Protection Engineer - I don't mind. As long as it's a "real" emergency.

Couple of times - but it's been years.

Luckily I haven't had to - yet.

Couple of times - usually weather related. Try flying into tiny airports in the Midwest or the Northwest in the middle of winter.

Yes - last time I was lucky - my wife was with me at The Marriott Marquis - SF.

Only a few small ones - luckily.

Yep - Elko NV, and other equally delightful places - usually in the winter.

8.  Missing your flight?

Yep 

Yep - more than once.

REALLY really wanted to - but discovered the other options were so much worse. Think remote locations in Alaska.

A few times.

Minor one once - but also sat for 4 hours at O'Hare waiting for a gate after the airport was shut down in -20F weather.

13.  Bedbugs?

Not yet.

Not yet.

Couple of times. Once because I helped out a Northwest crew at a brand new karaoke bar in South Sioux Falls the night before. None of them could sing much less harmonize. Well - obviously that was a looong time ago.

mrbmbrown Platinum

NWA, wow that brings back happy memories. That is where I got my all my LT Miles on DL. Really miss the good ol days on NWA! Thanks for that!

702rugbyref Platinum

ELKO?! Must be in mining.

rbwallace Platinum

Over the years I have been there to a survey a mine or 2, and a casino, a hospital, a church, a construction site, an old store/saddle maker, and a few other odd things.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

• Numerous times due to Thunderstorms over Houston Intercontinental (IAH), have been sent to DFW, San Antonio (SAT), Austin (AUS) and more often than not New Orleans (MSY) for gas and get back in the conga line to IAH

• A few times, but if I really have a burning desire for a large suite I'll attempt to book it

• Not often and when it has happened the airline has taken very good care of us

• Used to complementary upgrades all the time on Continental as I was lucky enough to be in the top tier of OnePass Elites.

I/we've been most fortunate in our travels and had mostly very good luck.....may the dream continue.

j&c Platinum

1972, Oahu, HI

2014 Coconut Grove, FL

2013 Sanibel, FL

1967, Chicago, IL

1981, Port St. Lucie, FL

Not a big deal for us so don't remember when - a long time ago

2015, DTW (We carry ClearCare hydrogen peroxide contact lens disinfecting solution in carry-on. Always get taken aside but 1st full TSA search) C

Before Tsa figured out better ways to profile who might be a threat they had the infamous 4S's on your boarding pass which of course got you a full body search. One way tickets were one clue. I had to charge a flight so had to use southwest and of course it popped up . When I was about to go thru security I told them I needed to go to full search line . They seemed surprised like I would have figured that out

mrbmbrown Platinum

I am SOOO glad they don't use one ways as an identifier anymore... I typically book only one way tickets as I want the flexibility of changing my returns or destinations without a lot of excess fees...

jerryl, I got the infamous SSSS on an SKB-ATL DL flight.  I couldn't check in and didn't know why, so I called Delta's customer service to see what was going on.  Delta's website listed special numbers for each country, and there was no number for St. Kitts and Nevis, so I called a general customer service number and was told by a Delta rep that Delta did not fly in or out of St. Kitts and Nevis.  So I said, "how about Saint Christopher's Island" thinking it might be under the full name of St. Kitts, and they said no service.  So I told them I'd flown Delta to St. Kitts just a week earlier, but they still insisted that Delta didn't fly there.  I did get the full search by St. Kitts' version of TSA and almost missed the flight,  I had to do a full sprint across the tarmac for what seemed like a mile, then board via one of those stair step ramps which they were just about to full away from the plane.  My younger daughter was watching through the window and crying her eyes out.  But there was a happy ending since I got on the plane and had no problem with customs in ATL.  And it was a Delta plane, despite Delta's insistence that they don't fly to St. Kitts

Wow. The process was not the best because everyone knew most of the flags. One way tickets, paid cash etc and if you do get flagged when you printed your boarding pass you could just leave. Overall not very effective at catching a terrorist

I Will tell you one more great one. I was flying from Burlington VT to Boston back in the 70's on a late Friday night. The plane held maybe ten people but that night there was a pilot , co pilot and an armed security guard ( facing me )and myself. Oops I forgot the bags of cash being transported from the fed center in Burlington to the reserve bank in Boston . I felt like Wille Sutton.

seatexan Platinum

I must just be lucky on my travels.

1-8 No

9.  Yes, I have missed a few due to delays.

10 No

11. YES - some people walked in my room when my sister and I were sleeping!  They were just as shocked as us! LOL

12-14 No

15.  Yes, once on the way from Lafayette to Hays KS.  It was the IAH to Denver leg and some how I ended up in first class.  No idea how that happened and I had to check with the flight attendant to make sure my seats were correct! Best flight ever!

Once I did wake up to screaming and banging on doors at the JW Marriott in New Orleans.  I had to call security! A very drunk girl was ramming into doors about as hard as I think she could have demanding someone let her in. I was in a corner room so I could see her stumbling down the hall.  It was around 3am and before she got to my door I opened it, and told her people were sleeping and she needed to stop.  She was one hot mess and was MAD! She then slumped down and sat on the floor and began banging her head into the wall.  So I picked up the phone and called security.

Ahhh I love New Orleans!

I received a note from the hotel the next morning apologizing.  I called down and thanked them for the note and the points they gave me and let them know it was not their fault and I was not upset.  It only enhanced my Nola experience!

seachi Platinum

1.  Having to vacate your hotel room because of a fire alarm or other emergency? No

2.  Being "walked" to a different hotel? Yes - Hyatt Place Chicago River North... to a Hampton Inn :/

3.  Exercising the platinum guarantee (which probably means someone else gets walked)? Yes - 5+ times in the last year.

4.  Having a flight diverted to somewhere other than your destination? No

5.  Being upgraded to a huge suite? Yes - most memorably Marriott Tang Plaza to a recently renovated Junior Suite.

6.  Unauthorized charges showed up on your hotel bill? Yes - many times other people's restaurant charges.

7.  Being stranded overnight somewhere by an airline? Yes - stuck in the Kauai airport from 5pm to 5am. Our flight was the only one there and everything was shut down. Loud Christmas music played repeatedly beginning at 11pm for the janitors and they wouldn't turn down the volume.

8.  Missing your flight? No

9.  Missing a connecting flight? No

10. Leaving a hotel in the middle of a stay because you couldn't stand the thought of another night there? Yeah... my honeymoon. Long story.

11.  Being given a room key to a room already occupied by someone else, or vice-versa? No - but I've heard horrible stories.

12.  Your taxi, limo, train, bus or airplane got into an accident? No

13.  Bedbugs? No

14.  Full administrative search by TSA? No

15.  Free upgrade to first class? Regularly

tkodiak Platinum 1 Reviews

1. Yes...some inconsiderate tried to disable the smoke detector...

2. Never

3. Not yet

4. Yes....not fun pilot had to go from Ohare to Midway...low on fuel, wind too fast to land and to quote the pilot " we're coming down one way or the other"...

5. OMG yes, in several places. Marriott rocks.

6. Never

7 yes.. see #4....we landed plane needed  some TLC before we could leave 1 day later

8. Nope

9 Nope

10. Yes.. and it wasn't a Marriott.... Don't want to throw any chain under the bus but it starts with "Holiday Inn"

(no Marriott in proximity)

11. Nope

12. Yes....Plane hit by the tow vehicle on the ground...stupid long story..

13. Nope

14. Damn, no....they offer that? How was it?

15. Fer sure regularly...

TKodiak

captbigguy Platinum 4 Reviews

Yes - Especially when you stay in TP, SH, etc. with kitchenettes and someone forgets the burger they're charring (yes, happened twice in the same hotel, and once at another one.)

Nope

Never had to...

(Knock on wood) no, and hope I don't.  But it IS air travel.

Yes, several times.  Always seems like a waste if it's just me, but great when my wife is with me.  Makes me look goooood.....

A couple of internet charges that were reversed quickly.

Again, knocking on wood... nope.

8.  Missing your flight?

Wow...  That should be a prerequisite to obtaining the title "road warrior."

Ditto

No

Yes - Also had an experience with checking in via the app six hours prior to arrival and found the room they gave me had not been cleaned.  Quickly resolved.

No, but on our wedding trip to Jamaica, our shuttle to the resort was almost broadsided by a herd of goats somewhere between Montego Bay and Negril...

13.  Bedbugs?

Nope

I'm not sure what a "full administrative search" is, but I've been groped a few times.

If I take the first flight out or last flight home (SGF to ATL and vice versa), which is on a 717, I get to sit up front about 75% of the time.  One of these days I'll figure out the algorithm they use to calculate the upgrade list from SAV to ATL and I'll make that happen.  Then again, I should be Delta Platinum this year which will up my chances.  Now to reach Diamond in '17!!!

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

1.  Having to vacate your hotel room because of a fire alarm or other emergency? Never.

2.  Being "walked" to a different hotel? Never

3.  Exercising the platinum guarantee (which probably means someone else gets walked)? Never at a hotel but did bump someone off a flight that was full with my SQ Solitaire guarantee.

4.  Having a flight diverted to somewhere other than your destination? Several times in and out of Africa.

5.  Being upgraded to a huge suite? Several times at JWM in Bangkok

6.  Unauthorized charges showed up on your hotel bill? Once at JWM in Bangkok. They took it off immediately.

7.  Being stranded overnight somewhere by an airline? Never

8.  Missing your flight? Once. Forgot what day it was

9.  Missing a connecting flight? Twice. Delta in JFK in the early 90s. PAL in Taipei also early 90s

10. Leaving a hotel in the middle of a stay because you couldn't stand the thought of another night there? Never, but I certainly wanted to a few times in Nigeria.

11.  Being given a room key to a room already occupied by someone else, or vice-versa? Never

12.  Your taxi, limo, train, bus or airplane got into an accident? Once.Tourist van ran off the road into a ravine between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai in Thailand. Van rolled over several times. Banged up and bruised but that was all.

13.  Bedbugs? Never

14.  Full administrative search by TSA? Never

15.  Free upgrade to first class? Dozens of times TATL on TWA. A couple of times on UA TPAC. Once on Garuda in Indonesia.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

1.  Having to vacate your hotel room because of a fire alarm or other emergency?  On several occasions, though not recently.

2.  Being "walked" to a different hotel?  Yes, in Williamsburg.  Walked across the parking lot from Residence Inn to Spring Hill, because the power was out at the Residence Inn.

3.  Exercising the platinum guarantee (which probably means someone else gets walked)? Once, felt bad but would have felt worse if I couldn't stay.

4.  Having a flight diverted to somewhere other than your destination?  Yes, in '88 had to make an emergency landing on a Continental flight, because of an onboard fire.  A ballast relay in the overhead caught fire, causing luggage to catch fire - across the aisle from me.  Harrowing landing, had to go down the slides, on to a cold tarmac.  And they wouldn't let us in the terminal until we either signed a release or consented to a trip to the hospital.

5.  Being upgraded to a huge suite?  One, in particular, I recall at Philadelphia Marriott.  Large suite, huge conference room table and living/entertaining area.  Awful experience.  Someone threw a huge party across the hall and security would do nothing about it.

6.  Unauthorized charges showed up on your hotel bill?  One a number of occasions, but they always have removed them.  Early in the career, on various company gathers, some folks thought it funny to run up tabs - on other people's rooms.

7.  Being stranded overnight somewhere by an airline?  Spent many a night in the airport.  Put up, at least once, at the Greensboro NC Airport Marriott

8.  Missing your flight?  Only a few times, not recently.  When I was younger, cut it much closer than I do now.

9.  Missing a connecting flight? Yes, though not in quite some time.

10. Leaving a hotel in the middle of a stay because you couldn't stand the thought of another night there?  Yes, in Flint Michigan - not a Marriott - rats running across the floor.

11.  Being given a room key to a room already occupied by someone else, or vice-versa?  Yes, when I arrived, the peeps weren't there, but their luggage was.

12.  Your taxi, limo, train, bus or airplane got into an accident?  Yes, see #4.  Also, had to make repeated low passes by the tower in Ft Wayne Indiana, because our landing gear would not deploy.  They had to hand crank it down, but could not get confirmation it was locked in place, so the foam trucks were waiting for us.

13.  Bedbugs?Thank goodness, NO.

14.  Full administrative search by TSA?  No

15.  Free upgrade to first class? Used to get these frequently, mostly on business flights, back in the day when I flew every week, but nothing lately.  One of the most fun was when the kids were little and we flew down to Disney.  They upgraded the four of us.  The kids were quite impressed - but my wife and I enjoyed the wine!

rle Gold

-Not at a Marriott but once on a High School trip to St. Louis at the Days Inn because a couple of my classmates decided it would be fun to pull the fire alarm.

-Not sure what this means but I don't think so, no.

- Not yet!  Only Gold so far but hopefully soon!!!!

- Oh yes: I was once diverted from SFO to LAX instead of BUR; I was once diverted from my nonstop SLC to LAX and routed instead to SFO and then BUR. 

-The best upgrade I ever received was at Cesar's Palace in Las Vegas.  Our room was upgraded from a regular room to a huge 2-bedroom suite with a view of the Bellagio's fountain. 

-Never anything unauthorized but I have had charges that were supposed to be taken off and weren't.

- Not yet!  (:knock on wood:)

8.  Missing your flight?

-Yup! I received a text alert that my Southwest flight out of Denver to LAX was delayed 1 hour.  Upon arriving at the airport, I received another alert that it was delayed another 90 minutes.  With time to kill, we decided to stop and have dinner before going to the gate.  When we got there, and asked if it was time to board yet, the agent said no, we will announce when you can board shortly.  So we waited and waited and then noticed our plane pulling away from the gate.  When we inquired why, we were told that they had already boarded everyone for the flight and then delayed it so the only people not on the plane were those that they had to let off by law to wait.  So we had to catch another flight 3 hours later.

-Yup! I once fell asleep on a layover in Melbourne waiting for my V Australia connecting flight home to LAX and missed the check-in cut-off time by 5 minutes (International flights check-in windows are cut-off at 1 hour I learned that day)!  I assumed I was already checked through from my flight out of Auckland and after breakfast I sort of inadvertently dozed off.  When I came to, I realized what time it was and ran for the gate, thinking I still had plenty of time.  When I got to the gate, the agent said they had given my seat away already because I missed the check-in time.  I had to sit and watch everyone board the plane and fly away before they would help me get home to LAX.  It was either stay in Melbourne for two nights until the next flight to LAX or fly to Sydney and then to LAX.  They only had a first-class seat on the flight to Sydney which would get me there in time to check-in to the flight home to LAX and only had "Premium" Economy available on the flight home to LAX from Sydney.  I was forced to pay the difference, which equated to the same amount as my entire original round-trip ticket. 

-Yup! Circus Circus in Las Vegas; a random timeshare resort in Lake Perris, CA; a Best Western in Eureka, CA; and a Hampton Inn in Provo, Utah.

- Yup!  Walked right in on a couple getting rather intimate at Cesar's Palace in Las Vegas.

- Nope!  Not yet!  (:knock on wood:)

13.  Bedbugs?

- Nope!  (Thank gawd!)

- Yep!  While in Madrid waiting for our connecting flight from Mallorca to NYC (which we almost missed) because of it) I randomly got pulled aside and had to sit and wait to have every thing I was carrying and wearing inspected with a magnifying glass.

-Sadly, not yet (fingers crossed, though!)

Thanks!  That was fun!

pfhaynes Platinum

Having to vacate your hotel room because of a fire alarm or other emergency? Yes multiple times , 3 states four hotels

2.  Being "walked" to a different hotel? yes, 19 degrees out Boston

3.  Exercising the platinum guarantee (which probably means someone else gets walked)? Yes

4.  Having a flight diverted to somewhere other than your destination? Yes

5.  Being upgraded to a huge suite? Yes , penthouse actually felt lost

6.  Unauthorized charges showed up on your hotel bill? yes,best one was for 14 hours of porn movies   was at meeting all day

7.  Being stranded overnight somewhere by an airline? of course to many to name

8.  Missing your flight? yes , Snowstorm

9.  Missing a connecting flight? Several times but best reason was helping a 92-year-old lady trying to catch her flight

11.  Being given a room key to a room already occupied by someone else, or vice-versa? Yes, man was severely intoxicated

12.  Your taxi, limo, train, bus or airplane got into an accident? yes , hit a motorcycle

13.  Bedbugs? yes NY

14.  Full administrative search by TSA? Yes had worked on the garden earlier in the day and the fertilizer was not a good thing

15.  Free upgrade to first class? always

shaunfromcolumbus,ohio Gold

There are a great number of bad things on this list. I have experienced a bunch of them. The majority of my complaints come from the airlines. If you get to a destination, you make it on time, and your luggage is there, you feel happy...and you are still at "meets" expectations. How did one industry condition us to feel that way?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...