4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2016 11:31 AM by carat RSS

No points or credit for a stay?

worldman Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Recently stayed at the Paris Opera Ambassador. I always use the Senior or Travel Industry rate. Have been doing this for a very long time. I have been denied credit for the stay and also points. After working with the hotel and customer service they refuse to honor my stay.

Just a warning to everyone that the slight discount will not get you any credits. Would have been nice to know this upon making the reservation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Paris, France Marriott Hotels & Resorts Paris Marriott Opera Ambassador Hotel
  • Re: No points or credit for a stay?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

It's true, some rates do not qualify for points or elite night credits. The travel industry rate is one such example, however, the Senior rate is not. If you used the Senior rate, you should have received credit. I've used it from time to time when traveling with my mother and have always received credit. The same is true with the AAA rate or the Government rate. Not all discount rates are ineligible for points or elite nights.

It's a good idea to check the rate rules before booking. Nothing is worse than expecting to get credit and then finding out you've selected a non-eligible rate.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

worldman Platinum 1 Reviews

Thank you for the response. Let me give you some examples of recent stays using the TVL industry rate: Marriott Charles De Gaulle, JW Marriott Hong Kong, Renaissance White Plains, NY as some examples. I've been staying at these properties for years and have always received points and credit for my stays.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I have no doubt that's true. Do a quick search of TVL on this site and you'll find numerous discussions on the topic.

Re: Extreme disappointment in Marriott’s policy change for TVL stay and points credit

Re: NO POINTS FOR STAYS UNDER TVL CODE...

Re: Is TVL rate still eligible for the points and stay credits????

Re: Marriott Changes to Earning Points and Nights

Re: Travel Industry

These are just a few. The rate may have qualified for credit in the past, but checking the Terms and Conditions on Marriott's website Marriott Rewards Terms and Conditions, I found this (emphasis added)

Rooms booked through third party online retailers, such as Expedia.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline.com, Tripadvisor.com or any other 3rd party online/mobile travel portal (regardless of how the hotel is paid) are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit. Wholesale rates, wholesale packages, Fam-Tastic® rates, travel industry rates and organized tours or package bookings are not eligible for Points or Elite night credit regardless of booking channel. If you are booking through a travel agent or other third party and do not know if your booking will earn Points, please ask your travel agent about the type of booking and type of rate he/she is making for you.

I understand the frustration especially when the rules change. Sadly as we all learned over the years, Marriott Rewards is subject to change, often without notice. You're right to be upset. Unfortunately, it's Marriott's program and they can modify it however they like. Our only options are to play by their (updated) rules or take our business elsewhere. I know if Marriott took away the earning possibility from my favorite discounted rate, I'd give some serious thought to exploring other chains assuming I could still get credit there (which is no certain thing).

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great info here, bejacob

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...