10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2016 9:41 AM by chico7800 RSS

Point redemption issues

chico7800 Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I have signed up for the Chase Marriott card and received 50k point to use for redemptions.    I see very few hotels below 40k points for redemption and the ones I am looking at are category 2 only.   Is this typical that the sign up reward is realistically only good for one night or am I missing something?

thanks,

Chico

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Point redemption issues
    flyingsouth Platinum

chico7800 50,000 MRP will get you two nights in a category 5 hotel. (25,000 per night).  If you have found category 2 hotels you wish to stay at, you are very lucky.  Those cost 10,000 MRP per night, so will get you five nights with your bonus points.  Unfortunately, most of the hotels I want to stay in are at least category 5.....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I typically stay in hotels that range from cat 4 on up, so I could probably get two nights for 50,000 and have something left over.  I wouldn't, though.

Keep in mind, however, that when you stay 4 nights at a hotel (on points), a fifth nigh will be free.  Therefore, the most efficient use of these points is to stay 5 nights and pay, in points, for four.

I have two trips planned, on points, this year and both will be for five night stays.  In fact, I can't remember the last time I stayed fewer than five nights, on points.

It just makes sense to take advantage of a 20% discount!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I quite agree phctourist  To me that is one of the best deals there is.  All points redemptions for the Tommos are for 5 nights.  My latest is for 5 nights in a Cat 7 for 140,000 points.  I would say chico7800 that you will get a better deal if you hang on to those points, build them up, and then have a break of several nights

M y two reservations for a really special trip are for 240,000 and 180,000 points.  Five nights will be our first experience at a Ritz. Carlton.  Really looking forward to it!

flyingsouth Platinum

So true phctourist.  I forgot about the 5 night packages.  I have taken advantage of them, but mostly I'm squirreling points away to use in retirement.....when we have less money but more time to travel. 

I am in retirement!  I recommend it!  It has been fun!

chico7800 Silver

can you combine points and annual free night to hit those 4 nights?   Or can you and a spouse use separate cards to hit this using 2 nights each?

homoviator Platinum

I just wish I had time like that to use or an ability to stay in one place for that long.  I think I will try it, though for next year.  My traveling partner doesn't like to stay put that long. 

j&c Platinum

Just finished 5 days exploring in Suffolk, VA, for 24,000 points. Loved it! Newport News, Williamsburg, Virginia Beach, Smithfield - every day a new surprise. This is our 3rd free 5-day in the past 6 months AND those 15 days count towards our annual Elite Membership requirements (since November, 2015).

We haven't done this but I understand you can book future vacations even if you don't have the points now. Book b4 March 24th when categories change - or after when some Cat.2 hotels become Cat.1. C

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/blogs/exclusive-news/2016/02/17/preview-2016-hotel-category-changes-current-categories-are-still-available-until-march-24-2016#comment-35813

peymanagement Platinum

Chico, you are missing something. The vast majority of redemptions values are below 40,000 points.

I have had good success at 2 to 4 category hotels.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...