19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2016 10:10 AM by iahflyr RSS

Marriott, Where Are The Desks?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I spend a few minutes each week rumbling though Loyalty Lobby and today was the day I first saw the photo of a Marriott room without a suitable desk from which to work.

Whine Wednesdays: New Marriott Room Design – Where's The Desk? | LoyaltyLobby

Yes yes yes, I did read in the article it is only ONE brand, but I predict it will spread and I would not want to go to the lobby to do evening work that may need to be done.  Some might not agree with me however; I know if I was still working and stumbled upon a similar room where I had to sit a a small round desk and return emails from the day it would be my last stay at that hotel.  Cannot wait for my Wife to find a room such as this, she'd do the exact thing the author did and have the hotel take that table and chairs out of the room to be replaced with a proper desk and chair.

I agree with the author and the person who thought up this stunt and the person who signed off on it should both be looking for jobs elsewhere.

Bring it Insiders, thoughts and comments please.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott, Where Are The Desks?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I don't think it is just ONE brand. I've stayed at a number of newer properties lately and the desk are shrinking or disappearing completely.

The brand new AC in Cincinnati (AC Hotel Cincinnati North/West Chester now open) has a minimalist desk, barely big enough to set up a laptop. In Aruba, the Renaissance didn't have a desk at all, but in a leisure location, that may not be as important. The Renaissance in Allentown also shrunk the desk. In this (and some other locations). there is effectively a long shelf along the wall holding the TV and with a chair so that part of said shelf can function as a desk.

Almost all my travel is non-business, but I still set up my laptop every night for email, Insiders, and several other tasks. The lack of a desk isn't going to cause me to put a property on my "no stay list." I'll make do with the round table or shelf (I've done so many times already).

I'm one who prefers a reasonable work surface and lots of plugs to charge electronics. I like the trend towards more places to plug in. I don't like the disappearance of desk space. Is there a reason we can't have both a desk and plenty of outlets?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I thought it said in one of the later paragraph "one brand".  Let me go get the sleep out of my eyes and read again!!

I do not see any reason for desk space and plenty of power outlets.  The new RI design provides for both and plenty of space in the room as well and I'm speaking of a King Studio.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

It probably did say "one brand." I was just sharing what I've seen with my own eyes. It's happening at more than just the flagship brand.

seatexan Platinum

yeah it said something about it coming to all brands... Or I thought I read that.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I am not happy when a desk is too small or non-existent.

seatexan Platinum

Personally if I am working on the computer, I like a work space.  I do not like rounded tables as its not very ergonomic for how I place my arms when typing. 

I would be ok if the work space served as the table too.  You know table (of proper height) and two chairs.

The concept of flexible work space as in Hilton's Tru Hotel's design is absurd.  (See full article)  There is nothing flexible about it.

Targeting certain hotels for this design is fine.  I won't stay at the brand that does not fit my needs.  I like a closet, not open space with hooks.  I like a dresser even.  I'm in my lower 30s!  When these younger "millennials" get a little older, they most likely won't stay at these brands.  SO I really hope Marriott does not bring this concept to all hotels. I love clean design.  I don't love sterile design.  A balance can be achieved. Form and function must complement one another.

"Generation" speaking, you won't please everyone.  With the right furnishings and finishes you can create a balance.

hassmh Gold

In my opinion it's quite clearly a cost-cutting measure disguised by cherry-picking feedback to give an excuse that it's "what the customers want." It is like the classic anti-science of formulating a conclusion and looking for facts to support it, while disregarding anything that refutes it. I'm sure they have databases of feedback from surveys that they can easily search and say "Look! Here are 4200 responses saying they don't like the desk! So let's get rid of it in the next remodel and save some money!" But how many of those are vacationing families who would rather have a little more space, and how many are business people who need to get work done? Surveys are often designed to get the responses desired by the creators, and I would not be surprised if that was the case here as well.

seatexan Platinum

hassmh "Look! Here are 4200 responses saying they don't like the desk! So let's get rid of it in the next remodel and save some money!"  Hahaha! +1

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I rarely use a desk or dresser unless I am staying for many nights. Marriott is gearing to the next generation maybe too soon and maybe too much or maybe they are right . Time will tell

seatexan Platinum

Good point about too soon! Or this is what the younger professionals will come to see in hotels and just think it is the norm. Then they will think, "Hey! we need more work space!" and rooms will then be designed for more work space... the cycle of design! 

"It is like the classic anti-science of formulating a conclusion and looking for facts to support it, while disregarding anything that refutes it."

HUH!!

kurtzie Platinum

I ran into this issue at the Buffalo Marriott Harborcenter, and it was very frustrating. I am a millennial, but as a frequent business traveler, a desk is a requirement. In Buffalo their "replacement" was a small movable table at the couch. This was very uncomfortable, and I was not happy. Thankfully the hotel responded really well by bringing me a table and chair from their conference area, but this is a band-aid rather than a solution. I'm hoping this trend ends asap because a desk is an important element for my travels.

seatexan Platinum

The Desk Is Back: Marriott Is Redesigning Hotel Rooms - ABC News

I am a fan of desks too... so this is good news.

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

I was in a brand new Fairfield Inn last November in Pittsburgh, and the room came with a sort of kidney bean shaped table/desk on wheels. It was very convenient, it worked well for meals and working. I know press releases are usually for Marriott FS properties but it wasn't like they eliminated desks at all properties worldwide or even in the U.S. It is a positive thing in my mind that the keep the desks, if nothing else it's good to leave small items on that don't fit on a nightstand.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

seatexan Platinum

LOL, well at least Marriott listened to the "where are the desks?" bit.

Some of the comments on the other threads you linked to about uncomfortable furniture are funny. I bet that the interior designers don't even sit or use the pieces of furniture they specify. Great if the kids love it, but who is paying?

Due to most of the places being franchised and managed by well...who knows! I am not sure how renovations are truly dealt with.  I only know that Marriotts, JWs and Ritz brands have interior designers on them, not sure about other places. I looked, just seeing what was out there job wise with Marriott!

I know Best Western doesn't really care as long as you follow a whole list of items.  X amount of chairs, lamps, phones, and you have certain things like TVs, coffee maker, cups... etc... they don't care about brand or color. 

I am sure Marriott is a little more strict, as there are color schemes to follow...CY, FFI, RI, TP...

Anyway, I could go on forever and ever about room designs being an interior designer myself...so I'll just stop here for now .

nationwide Platinum

IAHFLYR and SeaTexan, I snapped a few pictures of recently renovated rooms earlier this summer at the Walnut Creek Marriott near San Francisco.  I don't think anyone sat in the chairs before buying them...  The seatbelt webbing chair is horrible in both design and function.  You simply cannot find a way to get comfortable in this chair.  The low backed velvet chair is slightly more comfortable, but provides insufficient support.  There was no desk chair, but I complained, and like others, got one delivered.  The desk space isn't really a desk, it's leftover shelf space.  If you happen to enjoy coffee or tea, your "desk" just disappeared.  The closet door and bathroom door are one and the same - it slides to cover the bathroom when someone is in it.  That said, it has opaque glass in it, so you can see through it...  perhaps they didn't bother to ask anyone what they were looking for in a bathroom door...  good grief!  The room has new faux wood floors, which are dark, show dust and dirt, and make the room come off small.  Regrettably, this is exaggerated by the small windows which have dark blinds in them.  One of the biggest gaffes is the height of the bedside tables... perfect height to poke your eye out or bang your noggin on the corner of the tables.  I talked to the manager about the litany of design flaws, and he shared the folks from corporate were sending a designer out to review "the issues."  Oh boy...

IMG_8406.JPG

IMG_8409.JPG

IMG_8421.JPG

IMG_8422.JPG

IMG_8426.JPGIMG_8416.JPG

seatexan Platinum

I hope they send someone with a good understanding of ergonomics! 

This room looks dark and sad!  I do like the wood log section images. I am sure the seat belt chair was supposed to be the desk chair.  I am glad you spoke up. The hotel won't know any better and nothing will be done. 

I understand what they were going for with the "walnut", but it should have been a little more subtle.

That's one bad looking room.  WOW  And they want someone to use those chairs.  I wouldn't waste the energy to even toss either of them into a fire.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...