2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2010 10:32 PM by newhiltonmembr RSS

When Lake Winnepesaukee Freezes Over

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Among our all season favorites is the Lakes Region of Central New Hampshire.  This area is dominated by New England's largest lakes, and Lake Winnepesaukee holds the title as the sixth largest lake in the United States.  During the summer months, the lake is teeming with activity from boating to fishing, swimming and water skiing.  According to an article in Forbes, Lake Winnepesaukee is the preferred vacation spot for several notable chief executives including  Bill Marriott.

In the dead of winter, Lake Winnepesaukee freezes over.  On many earlier trips we have seen photographs from albums showing parts of the lake with a zamboni cleaning the ice for hockey tournaments, and littered with tiny shanties nicknamed 'bob houses' or ice fishing houses.  The most startling photo is of a helicopter landing on the lake alongside multiple small aircraft.  It was that photo in particular that caught my attention, I had to experience it firsthand!

Well a little bird told me that Lake Winnepesaukee freezed over a couple of weeks ago.  This past weekend conditions were ideal.  Some spots are 15 inches thick so that a light truck or SUV can easily cross the Lake. Encourageable as I am, amidst a maelstrom of protestations from my other half, I placed my SUV in 4-wheel drive and drove to the center of Alton Bay, one the fingers jutting off on the southernmost tip of Lake Winnepesaukee. And, I have pictures to prove it!  Hee Hah! What a rush!

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss175/TJCNewYork/HPIM2112.jpg

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss175/TJCNewYork/HPIM2116.jpg

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss175/TJCNewYork/HPIM2115.jpg

The closest Marriott to Lake Winnepesaukee is the Marriott TownePlace Suites, a new property that opened in May 2009.  Located in Gilford, NH, it's about 2 miles from the Lake and 8 miles from Alton Bay.  For winter enthusiasts, the TownePlace Suites is close to Gunstock, a favorite ski and snowboarding resort near the Lake.

Marriott's Fairfield Inn Concord is 17 miles south of Tilton which is about 17 miles from Alton Bay.   The drive on I-93 to route 3 and route 11 to Alton took 35 minutes w/o traffic and clear road conditions.

Next week Lake Winnepesaukee will be inundated for the annual Ice Fishing Derby.  Whoever catches the largest trout wins the Grand Prize, a fishing boat.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: When Lake Winnepesaukee Freezes Over
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

TJC:

Nice post and great photos, but I liked it a lot better in the summa (summer) as they say up there.  Nonetheless, it is a fantastic place to visit.

Forty five states collect sales taxes.  Only Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon, do not collect sales taxes.  So, that's a benfit to visiting the Granite State, though there is an occupancy tax there --as is the case almost everywhere. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: When Lake Winnepesaukee Freezes Over
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Very "cool", TJC!    :-)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...