28 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2016 11:27 PM by razorbackfan RSS

Balcony vs. Inside Cabin on Cruises

drlandrum Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Which do you prefer?   I know that I have only been in an inside cabin once and will never, ever do it again.   Give me a Jr. Suite or even a larger one if the price is right, with a balcony every time.  I love the cruising days between stops (where I know some people hate them)  I guess I cruise for the relaxation of it all.   I love enjoying a meal and or drinks on my balcony.   I just love a great balcony when I'm cruising.   I look out at the ocean and feel very Zen with nature.  How about the rest of you cruisers?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Balcony vs. Inside Cabin on Cruises
    hassmh Gold

I've only ever had an inside cabin, but only been on 3 cruises so far. They are cramped and frustrating at times, but with the money saved we can do a lot more on the cruise. We don't spend much time in the room, so it's hard to justify the added expense; the savings can usually pay the bar tab and then some!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

drlandrum Silver

I've decided that I spend so much on cruises anyway, that what's a little more for a cabin with a balcony?   I go on longer cruises and there are more sea days that I can relax a lot more.   I sleep with the balcony door open hearing the wonderful waves of the ocean all night long.  With no set time for getting up, I can enjoy my balcony a lot more. 

curiousone Platinum

My wife and I have been on about a dozen cruises. For the first few cruises I greed with hassmh's logic. Then, we got a screaming deal on a mini-suite with balcony. Well, there went my logic. If you can afford it, get the balcony.

hassmh Gold

I actually would like to spend a little more on a balcony (or suite, even), but my wife always convinces me to go cheap and invest the difference in excursions or meals or whatever else. Even with a flexible travel budget, it just makes sense when looking at the numbers, especially not having experienced a balcony room and thus not being able to put a value on it. It would likely take a fantastic deal as you received to give it a try, hopefully with the same result once we've gotten a chance to try it.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

never been in an inside cabin .But based on a recommendation from a  friend now go with a balcony

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I'm not a big fan of cruises but the balcony is what I like over inside or just a porthole!

drlandrum Silver

Yes I find a porthole useless it's in one of the dining rooms...1284.jpgon cruise.jpg

gqboy13 Platinum

I would rather save the money for what I would have paid for a balcony room and use it for excursions.  We never stay in our room enough to use the balcony.  If you are a person who stays in rather than going out, then the balcony is the way to go.

seatexan Platinum

I have never been on a cruise, but I would hands down get a balcony. I can't imagine being stuck on the inside of a massive ship, not seeing the outside.  I saw that you could book cruses thru Marriott but you had to call.  The balcony options were not a bad price at all. 

I have only ever been on smaller boats where you had to work as part of the crew.  The outside is the best part and its only a few feet away from wherever you are on smaller boats. 

hassmh Gold

It depends what you like to do, and how much you want to spend. Most cruises I see advertised are priced per person per night, so a 5 night cruise at $100/night is $1000 total for 2 people in a stateroom. A balcony at $120 might seem like a small amount, but it's actually a total of $200 more for the same 2 people. I personally would rather spend that $200 at the bars or a nice restaurant than on a balcony which would rarely be used, but to each their own.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

for those who are prone to motion sickness, the balcony can provide a bit of relief, with a bit of space and fresh air!

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

If anyone is likely to get a bit sea sick, this is a tip I was given which seemed to help me.  Always book an outside cabin, mid ships, and on a middle deck if possible.  That way you get the least motion of the ship possible.  Hope that helps someone.

seatexan Platinum

Good tip! thanks!

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Glad you find it usefull SeaTexan . I am not versed in these sort of things, but apparently seeing the horizon is also important in sea sickness, hence getting an outside cabin.

drlandrum Silver

I Agree     

dreamtrip Platinum 5 Reviews

I agree, go for the balcony.  My husband and I had a balcony on a cruise to Alaska and it was definitely worth the money, especially when we were watching the glaciers breaking apart.  Instead of being in the crowd on deck, we could sit on our balcony with a drink and enjoy the show.  Also, we enjoyed coming into port and enjoying the scenery from our cabin. 
    We also always try and get balconies at whatever hotel we are staying at.  We enjoy sitting outside late at night or early morning.  I definitely think it is worth the extra money for a cruise but we always have good luck getting balconies at whatever Marriott hotel we are staying at. 

benbuck6 Silver

Only a Disney Cruiser here but we have 5 in our travel party which almost always dictates us to get a balcony but I LOVE it. My wife really loves to sit and read early mornings as the ship is docked in ports before the commotion...its worth the price just to grant her those few hours of pure peace and relaxation.

renaissanceman1944 Platinum

I absolutely love having a balcony on the cruises we have gone on.  I remember our 1st cruise in my younger days, we were members of the Disney Vacation Club and I used 3 years worth of points to book a 7 day cruise for my wife, daughter and I.  With 3 years worth of points, I could only get a room with a large porthole and was disappointed that I was unable to provide my family with a balcony room.  The cruise was great but 3 people in that room was a bit tight.  Fast forward 10 years later, my wife and I took a 7 day cruise on Princess Cruises to celebrate our 25th Anniversary and being it was a special occasion, we booked the largest owners suites on the which had a huge balcony and what a difference it was from our 1st cruise.  We spent so much time on the balcony and with the room, there were many amenities that came with it.  It was well worth the extra cost and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

jbritt51 Platinum 1 Reviews

We always choose balconies.  The new ships have a much higher percentage of balconies than some of the older ones.  My assumption is that demand is driving this.

drlandrum Silver

I agree!

benbuck6 Silver

We are Disney Cruisers and have a family a 5 which usually pushes us to Verandah. The extra cost is worth it as reading on that balcony is my wife's paradise and I LOVE seeing her that at peace.

702445_10152346429682533_1150794024_n.jpg

drlandrum Silver

Happy Wife, happy life...       

ozmodiar Gold

As a solo cruiser, I tend to pick Inside - cheaper, and the smaller cabin isn't a problem. Plus, if there is really something to "see" from the ship (like coming into port, sunsets, or a scenic passage) I want to be on a top deck anyway for more expansive views and the option to see both sides.

But it also depends on the itinerary - I am more tempted to get a balcony on cruises with multiple sea days, as that is when I would like the option of sitting outside and relaxing without the rest of the passengers around. On more port intensive cruises (which I prefer) when my in-cabin time is limited anyway, the inside works fine for me.

mustanggt Platinum

Go for the balcony...What is the sense of being on the ocean if you can't see the ocean?  The same is true if you stay at an ocean front resort and take a parking lot view room...You might as well be in Kansas!

hassmh Gold

If nearly 100% of in-cabin time is spent sleeping, what use is there in paying for a balcony? When in a different port every day, all day is spent off the ship, evening is spent eating and doing fun things on the ship, until time to sleep. So I'm 100% with ozmodiar on that one, even as not a solo cruiser. The money saved can be put to better use on fun and exciting excursions.

As for an ocean front resort, the point of not taking the ocean front or ocean view room is to save money. Why stay there and not take the expensive room? Maybe walking right out of the hotel onto the beach is a priority, or the amenities at the resort? Sure, ocean view would be great, but in peak season these can sometimes cost nearly double a basic room. If the choice is to take the basic room or not go at all, I'll gladly take the basic room. After all, if I'm on vacation I'm not spending very much time in the room, I'm out enjoying the destination.

If money is not a concern, then by all means book the penthouse suite every time! But for some there are other considerations.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Always now get a balcony as i find that most cruises do have sea days( to me the fewer the better) and the thought of sitting in a room at any time with no windows is not for me . But in the end as others have said it is a trade 

mustanggt Platinum

There is nothing better than watching a massive cruise ship pull in and out of port from your own balcony.  The beauty of an early morning sunrise, and an evening sunset, listening to the ocean and feeling the cool ocean breezes...priceless.  I'll take the balcony and forgo one or two of the "special" port excursions to the typical tourist traps to pay for it!

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Our travel agent recommended that we get an inside cabin when we took a 12-day cruise to Norway.  With so many daylight hours in the summer, it was easier to keep our sleep cycle regulated because our room was dark during nighttime hours.  We heard many cruisers complaining that they couldn't sleep at night because it was so bright outside.

We chose a balcony on our first trip to Alaska, but found that we didn't use it as much as I thought we would.  We preferred to be on deck to enjoy the talks the park rangers or naturalists gave.  We also had a balcony on our 2nd cruise to Alaska because we got a good price on it, but we didn't use it very much either.  We always want to see what is happening on the other side of the ship.

On our recent cruise to Nassau and Cococay, we had a stateroom with a large window.  The cruise was a last minute addition to our trip to Florida, so we didn't have a choice.  It was only 3 nights and more of an experiment to see if I would get seasick with more time spent in the open ocean.  I used the nose spray (similar to the patch) and had no trouble at all.  My husband enjoys telling friends that I didn't get seasick because the water was very calm.  That was probably true, too; however, it was a great feeling not to get seasick. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...