8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2016 5:03 PM by insidenji RSS

MSP and MIA airport hotels?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Any recommendations for airport hotels near MSP and MIA?  We have stayed at Courtyard Mendota Heights, MN, before and it was fine.  But might be willing to spend a little more for a full-service property.  Airport shuttle is a plus, but not strictly necessary.  Spouse not traveling so ok for us to use a lower-end property this time (i.e., FFI, SHS, CY).

While I'm at it, would someone please build an onsite hotel at MSP and one at MIA, preferably in the Marriott family? I really love the one at TPA - so convenient.  Even my tiny 6-gate regional airport at Podunk, USA, has an onsite hotel!  Why don't these big airports?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Mendota Heights, Minnesota, USA Courtyard By Marriott Courtyard Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport
  • Re: MSP and MIA airport hotels?
    ramoneur Platinum

I am being completely off-topic here (sorry),

but I keep reading MIA as Missing In Action

pretty scary abbreviation if you ask me...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

ramoneur, it's more than a coincidence because last time I flew into MIA, my luggage was MIA

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Have stayed many times at the Marriott at the mall of america . It is pretty close to the airport

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

I've stayed at both the Miami Airport Marriott and the Residence Inn Miami Airport, both get a 5 star rating IMHO.

They are both on the same grounds and if you take the shuttle they stop at the both properties coincidentally. I really preferred the Residence Inn due to the quality of the rooms (suites) and the complimentary popcorn/microwave is always welcomed after a long day. The GYM serves both properties, actually a Courtyard INN is also on the grounds but haven't stayed there. The GYM is great, clean, lots of equipment, fruit, water etc etc. Food is available on the property at the Courtyard and at the mainline Miami Marriott Airport. Food is ok but not great and pricey except at the Courtyard.

Shuttle service is very frequent and reliable.

JD

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

This Marriott village is the only place near MIA that I would stay.  The neighborhood is not good and the village is secure.  I stayed at the CY as well as the others.  It depends on which had the better price taking into account that I get a free breakfast at both the Marriott and RI but not the CY.  The Marriott has a M Club which is not as good as a CL but it does offer a nice full breakfast.  The evening is very slight.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Hi there clebert I live about 80 miles south of MSP so I fly out of there often.  If there is snow in the forecast the day of my flight or I get back really late I often stay overnight to avoid driving in the dark (eye issues) or driving in the snow (wimp issues).  I have stayed at the Springhill Suites, the Fairfield Inn, the Residence Inn, the full service Marriott, and the Courtyard.  They all have airport shuttles and I know most have a shuttle to the Mall of America (not sure about Springhill Suites but have personally taken the shuttle to the MOA from the other hotels).  They are all quite close together and all less than 2.5 miles from the airport with Bloomington, MN addresses.  My first choice is usually the full service Marriott just because of the Concierge Lounge; however it is an older hotel; I don’t think it was originally a Marriott; the layout of the hotel is confusing at first, and the rooms are rather small.  There is an onsite restaurant and if you take the shuttle to either the Humphrey or Lindbergh Terminals you can hop on the Light Rail Transit and go downtown to shop or eat.  I was very pleased with the Springhill Suites, very nice, clean, modern looking rooms, and the breakfast included in the room rate was just as good if not better than some of the full service hotel lounges.  There is a small bar at the Springhill Suites also.  The others; Courtyard, Residence Inn (right in back of the Courtyard) and the Fairfield Inn are fine but nothing spectacular.  The Courtyard has an onsite restaurant and there is an Outback Steakhouse right next door.  There is a brand new JW Marriott right at the Mall of America; I think it just opened a few months ago.  I haven’t stayed there yet but hope to do so sometime soon; it looks pretty nice.

insidenji, thank you!  I am very tempted to try the new JW but it is pricey.  $349 or 30,000 points, and a cat 6 so of course I cannot use my MegaBonus cert.  So I am thinking about the Marriott since it's cat 5 and I have to burn the cert by sometime in Aug.  If I do decide to spring for the JW I will let everyone know how it is.  I am not a MOA fan but can understand why they decided to locate it there.  There's no telling what United will do to us so it's good to have the light rail for mobility - I never fly UA through or to MSP as Delta is so dominant there, so it could be an adventure as I doubt they have many flights which is sometimes a recipe for disaster if the plane doesn't get there or has mechanical issues.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Hi clebert you're welcome.  Yes the JW does look very nice but I too noticed the rate was rather high; let us all know what you think if you do stay there.  I'm not big on malls in general but have been to MOA to meet family and friends to eat and my sister and I checked out the Princess Diana gowns exhibit a few years ago and I did go to Nordstrom's Off the Rack for a couple bargains  I'd rather be at a museum, preferably in DC or a baseball game anywhere.  Oh my I spent many, many hours at the old Metropolitan Stadium (where the MOA is now) watching the Twins in the hot sun and the Vikings in the freezing cold.  Now the Twins are at the beautiful Target Field and the Vikings will have a new covered stadium this year.  I still have Hotel Minneapolis on my list of hotels to try based on your recommendation.  And don't worry about United, it will be fine.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...