8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2016 7:05 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Transfer from Gatwick to Heathrow Hotel Around Midnight

tfreeman98 Platinum 13 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

At the end of a 3.5 week vacation we have coming up, we will land at London Gatwick around midnight, and need to find our way to the Renaissance London Heathrow hotel, where we will catch some sleep before boarding a flight to the US the following afternoon.  There will be two of us, with a couple of big bags.  I am looking for advice on the best way to get to the Renaissance Heathrow.  I am thinking that booking a car service is the best way to go, but at that time of night maybe a taxi is a better option?  Advice would be appreciated.Gatwickw

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Transfer from Gatwick to Heathrow Hotel Around Midnight
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

tfreeman98,

You have made a good choice in The Heathrow Ren!

Forget renting a car, it will be a waste of time and money.  Just take a taxi.  At the times you are mentioning you will just want to relax and go to the hotel.

You could arrange for the hotel to provide you a paid ride as well.  You will be very close to the airport and that is very comforting after the nice vacation you have had.

Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin - sorry, I did not mean to suggest renting a car as an option.  I was just focusing on whether I should take a taxi by going to the curb and finding one, or whether I should pre-arrange a ride through one of the many companies that offer that transfer service.  Normally I would assume that a transfer service would be the better and cheaper option, but then again after midnight, it may not make any difference.  Looks like the transfer services are available from about 55 £.  And if anyone has a recommendation for a particular transfer service, that would be helpful.  One I found was Heathrow-Gatwick-Transfers.com.

tfreeman98,

OK, now I have it!

If you can get a ride from Gatwick to the hotel, directly, do it! 

In my cheaper days, I would have taken the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station and then onto Heathrow.  But you still, after all of that, have to get to the hotel.  It's not worth it.  Today, I might be inclined to just stay at Heathrow for the night, if I had an early flight.  Many people do, and it's not a bad place if you arrive after 2 AM, and have an early flight.

The Renaissance is a nice hotel, but if you only have a few hours to sleep, it is not worth it.

The ride from Gatwick to Heathrow is not fun, so prepare yourself for a "Nap"!  Good luck!

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I did the reverse last year and hired a car service (don't remember which one).  I was pleased.  I got in early and went to the info desk and they called the company and in a few minutes the driver was there.  The car was clean and the drive was fine.  I stayed at the Ren LHR and it was nice.  From there, I would probably have them call a taxi to take you to LHR which is close.  There is a paid shuttle but I heard that it is unreliable. 

The reason that I choose the car service was the price was fixed and they took a credit card where as the taxi didn't.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

Knowing the UK as I do, it really would be a no brainer to me.  Book a car in advance.  We had some US friends fly into Gatwick a few years ago, and they then came to a central London hotel where we had checked in the day before.  They had pre booked a car service. It was a smooth and easy way to do it.  After a long flight, it really is the best way.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I'm with Tommo781 here. Book a meet and greet transfer service and let them drive you straight to the Ren. It'll be a pretty quick ride as its motorway all the way and even the infamous M25 moves well between midnight and 5am.

Yes, thanks to all for the help.  I will book a car service to go from Gatwick airport to the Renaissance Heathrow.  We intentionally booked a later flight from LHR to LAX so that we will (hopefully) have time to catch more than a few hours sleep after arriving at the Renaissance.

Good move,

As you relax in your private car, you will be glad you made this move.  I tried a "Public" transportation ride, and it was a mistake.  Someone stole a variety of items from my suitcase.

Keep your valuables in the car with you!

Let us know how it goes.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...