33 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2016 1:35 PM by kharada46 RSS

Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I know there are threads already on this property but wondering if any recent current stay information, comments, likes dis-likes etc. I'm booked for 7 nights "Ocean Front Premium" room. It will be my first time on this property , 2nd time to Honolulu.

Appreciate any comments & suggestions. Im pretty much going for just R & R not wanting to do a lot of touristy things, beach, food, bar, sleep etc etc.

Thanx,

JD

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Honolulu Oahu, Hawaii, USA
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
  • Re: Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa
    kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Aloha jamesdean!

As a life-long resident of Oahu, welcome!  If you need/want any tips for anything Hawaii, let me know and I'll be happy to help!  That being said, I've been to the Waikiki Beach Marriott a number of times.  The room you've been assigned is in the Kealohilani Tower fronting Kalakaua Ave.  Your room will likely be facing Diamond Head on a high floor, however, the only rooms that truly have a view of Diamond Head are in the Paoakalani tower.  Premium rooms are in the Kealohilani Tower only, as they're the ones that have been most recently renovated.  The Deluxe Ocean View rooms are the ones that have the views of he Waikiki Strip.

WBMR_Room Categories 2010.jpg

It's been a while since I've stay, but have always had a good stay here.  I've had the Premium Ocean View, Ocean View, and City View Jr Suite, though the large corner ocean view room in the Paoakalani Tower was my favorite by far. 

_MG_1861.jpg_MG_1885.jpg

_MG_1941.jpg

The rooms in the Paoakalani tower aren't pretty, but it had two balconies, lots of space, and a nice view.  Your room will most likely look like this.

IMG_0482.jpgIMG_0483.jpgIMG_0498.jpg

The property does have a $30/night resort fee and $32/night parking fee.  The lobby just completed a renovation, which I talked about and took some pictures of here Waikiki for (almost) Half the Week.  The property's breakfast spot, Kuhio Beach Grill, is currently under renovation and will not be finished until sometime in May.  Sansei is a popular sushi restaurant, while DK Steakhouse is a popular steakhouse, both owned by local celebrity chef DK Kodoma with wine lists by Master Sommelier Chuck Furuya.  Arancino di Mare is a good Italian restaurant with Japanese influence, with their Ricci di Mare (sea urchin pasta) being a local favorite.  I've tried the on-site spa and wasn't much of a fan.  While I haven't tried it, the spa at the Hyatt is pretty highly rated, as are the spas at the Moana Surfrider and the Halekulani.

I haven't stayed at the property in a while, but the most recent Insiders to have stayed are lakeshore, bejacob, Sledchick, and (I think) jerryl

Hope this helps!  For more local info, pictures of the property, etc. check out my blog or photo albums in my profile  Hawaii & Beyond!  And always feel free to hit me up for some info! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
    Honolulu, Hawaii, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

Thank you very much for this info kharada46!!!

I just checked my reservation and my room selection is the "Deluxe Ocean View" which is a higher rate than the Premium, not sure if that changes my view tower etc. but it is the highest rate (except for suites) on the property. While the rooms looks pretty dated the new Lobby looks fabulous. Seems like everywhere I go these days the properties are under renovations LOL!!!

I'm a big Sushi fan so I will certainly drop a few $$$ at the Sansei.

Im really looking forward to this stay and now even more after your helpful tips!!!

JD

That's awesome jamesdean!  Glad you have the Deluxe Ocean View!  This means you should get a view facing west, so you'll get the ocean plus the Waikiki strip.  Should be nice! 

Ah, big sushi fan?  One of my FAVORITES is a little, whole in the wall place near the airport with horrible parking called Honolulu Eat's - Mitch's Sushi.  Fantastic sushi done right and super fresh.  Sasabune is regarded as one of the best too, though the chef will tell you exactly how to eat it.  Sushi ii is another great spot locally.  All of them are pretty pricey, but I think Mitch's will give you the greatest bang for the buck! 

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

My view from a deluxe ocean view room in the Kealohilani Tower last September.

HNL.jpg

Hope you get something as good.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Thanks for the shout-out on this beautiful location kharada46, but I have yet to make it to the Aloha State!  jamesdean there are others who can give you some info and advice, and trust me on this, kharada is one of the foremost experts on all things Hawaii.  Happy travels!

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Don't know when you are going but I will be there end of April and can give you a better read. When we have gone previously there is a restaurant that facing the hotel is on the same side of the street on the left that has inexpensive breakfast. You can sit at an open table facing the street and see the surfers heading out in the morning

Hi Jerryl, Im there from the week of March 12th to19. Just looking at the long term weather forecast It doesn't show really hot temps, but Im hoping there out a bit on the forecast. Good heads up BTW on that breakfast place.

JD

just an FYI there is a hertz car rental inside the hotel which I rented a car for the day and went to north shore . best on weekends as traffic can be really bad getting thru to the pass

Platinum 28 Reviews

jerryl  I might of expressed this opinion before - I have found it very important for me to visit Waikiki once every 10  years to remind me why I don't like and should stay away!!!

Wow too crowded, too many people etc etc - Hawaii to me is precious - but must  be enjoyed at a nice quiet 5 star resort on another Island...............(don't tell Marriott but my favorite place in that State is the Kei Lani (Fairmont) in Wailea (Maui)

IT has been about 8 years for me and i assume you are not making it over for spring training

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I'm not sure I can add much to what kharada46 says. I stayed there back in September and posted a blog entry (County Collecting Hawaiian Style - Part 1, Oahu). While there is a ton of stuff to keep you busy in Waikiki, I'd recommend at least one day spent away from the city. The north shore or the area around Kailua are easy places to get away from some of the crowds. One of my favorite spots from this last trip was the lonely, windswept beach near Ka'ena Point on the north shore where the road ends west of Haleiwa.

I'm sure that no matter what you decide to do, you'll have a good time.

I concur with bejacob, jamesdean.  To truly experience Oahu, and experience right, you need to get a car and get out of Waikiki.  There's so much to see and do, I get dismayed when people say how much they don't like Oahu because it's a crowded, big city/tourist trap.  But, like I said, want to know what us locals do?  I'll be happy to help!

Platinum 28 Reviews

If a trip to Waikiki is 7 days, (see comment to jerryl above) I suggest at least 8 days away from the city!!!

lol, I always advocate that people, if staying in Waikiki, get out and explore at the minimum misterchk.  And don't feel bad!  My favorite property in the state is the Andaz Maui in Wailea!  Sorry Marriott...

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

jamesdean  We just spent 4 nights at this lovely hotel.   Our check-in was perfect. I nominated the front desk agent that checked us in and took care of us for the entire stay for the Spirit to Serve Award and was recently informed that she had received the award.  We were upgraded to a Deluxe Ocean View room and found that it suited our needs perfectly.  We sat on our balcony (lanai) and watched the activity in Waikiki including quite a few whale sightings.  We also spotted 2 submarines (not tourist) returning to the harbor. We enjoyed breakfast at the Kuhio Beach Grill every morning, especially the 2 mornings that it was moved outside.  We rented a car one day and headed out to the North Shore.  It was the morning a major surfing competition had been cancelled, but we loved seeing the huge waves anyway.   We enjoyed treats at a local bakery (the name escapes me at the moment) that was recommended to us, as well as delicious shrimp at Giovanni's, one of the many food trucks on the North Shore.  On Saturday morning, it was enjoyable to visit the artists displaying their work on the zoo fence.  We had Hula Pie at Duke's and enjoyed the hula show offered right on the beach (check which nights it is available).  We can't wait to return.  Have a great time.

wow, what a great report, now Im really excited....

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Ted's was the name of the bakery.  We got pastries, but their plate lunches looked great.  We were looking forward to the shrimp plate at Giovanni's, so we didn't try the lunches.  One shrimp scampi plate fed both of us.  As bejacob recommended, Kailua Beach is a beautiful beach.

The activity package (resort fee) at the Marriott Resort Waikiki Beach includes a cultural class daily.  I really enjoyed the lei making class.  It was an easy project to complete and I enjoyed wearing it for several days.  Be sure and keep it in the fridge overnight.  I also took the ribbon lei class.  It was more difficult and I definitely would need more practice to perfect it, but it was fun.  Sitting at the beautiful long wood table in the newly renovated lobby and working on the projects attracted more students.  My husband took off on a photo mission during one of the classes and sat in the lobby and read for the other one.

One evening it was pleasant to sit outside at the Kuhio Beach Grill and take advantage of the 25% food discount.  We tried the pulled pork nachos and a flat bread pizza.  The Mai Tai Punch, also a part of the activity package, was good.

use to always got o Jameson's heading up to north shore but saw that it had permanently closed

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I love the replies and advice you all have offered jamesdean! This is exactly what we love to see on this forum - keep up the great work Insiders!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

jamesdean, my favorite Oahu thing to do is hike up Koko Head.  The view at the top is killer.  It's less touristy than Diamond Head, and there is no charge to park or do the hike.  I also had a blast driving up Tantalus Dr. and hiking a bunch of the rainforest trails up in that area - no charge there either.  Also hiked Manoa Falls which is super easy but fun.  Also snorkeled at Hanauma Bay.  Those last two have a modest fee.

That's my idea of R&R I guess  

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

PS - Try Pa'ina Café and Surf and Turf Tacos for fast food, and Azure at the Royal Hawaiian and Orchids at the Halekulani for fancy dining.

interface7 Platinum

I have stayed at this property 7 times from 2004-2010 and will be going for my 8th stay in two weeks with my husband for our 1 year anniversary. It's been 6 years since I've been to Oahu, but I'm eager to see how the property has faired over the past 6 years. I always enjoyed my time at this property and the staff was always excellent. So, I expect the same level of service and now that I'm a Gold member I expect a nice upgrade! Ha! We shall see and I'll report back. =)

Checked in yesterday for first of two stays on each end of a cruise. Check in was great , we got an upgraded room with ocean view ( and on points for the stay) and they found a room to allow checking in around noon . We got a coupon for free breakfast buffets for both days and they delivered a nice welcome back basket full of all kinds of food products.  Lobby looks great . This is my six visit to this hotel over ten years and as I said will be back next Saturday . They certainly treat platinums well 

Hey jerryl, send me a message for the dates of your 2nd stay, and let's see if we can meet up!

COming back in saturday but working to get out sunday we will see

Sounds good jerryl, please let me know! 

Don't think I am going to make it this time. But will be going to tipple  in Houston

Bummer!  Next time jerryl.  Unfortunately I won't be able to make the big meet in Houston