25 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2016 9:48 PM by shaunfromcolumbus,ohio RSS

Am I Eligible for a Gold (or Platinum) Challenge?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Many new members to this forum have been asking to sign up for a challenge to achieve a fast-track to Gold or Platinum status. It's a great way to reach the next level. Far too many have failed to understand that this is not a status match from another chain. Eligibility depends solely on your existing elite status with Marriott. So in the hopes of helping alleviate the messages send to the community moderators (carat, deannad, AndrewT, lindseyh, KatieC, melissaerb), please don't request a challenge if you are not eligible.

Here are some examples. Note the color or the circle beneath the avatar which indicates your current status.

Q: I'm a basic rewards member, can I sign up for a Gold challenge?

blu.PNG

A: Nope, sorry, you need to reach Silver. Check back after you've earned 10 elite nights.

Q: I'm Silver, can I sign up for a Gold Challenge?

sil.PNG

A: Sure can.

Q: What about a Platinum challenge?

sil.PNG

A; No. Check back after you reach Gold.

Q: Okay, I'm Gold now, can I sign up for a Platinum challenge?

gold.PNG

A: Yep. Unless you earned Gold by completing a challenge this year. Only one challenge is allow per year.

Q: I'm Platinum, can I sign up for a Platinum challenge? (yes some folks have asked )

plat.png

A: Um.... You're already Platinum. The challenge is only for those seeking to reach the next highest level. You've reached to top, there's nowhere to go. (Yes there is a Premiere Platinum, but that is not something that can be achieved by a status challenge).

Status challenges are a great way to reach the next level. On occasion, Marriott will offer them. Sometimes you have to ask. From time to time, they are unavailable even for the asking. If that happens, wait a few months and try again. But do yourself and the moderators a favor. Please don't ask for a Platinum challenge if you are a basic elite member (blue). You're not eligible.

• Re: Am I Eligible for a Gold (or Platinum) Challenge?
    ramoneur Platinum

good post;

plain, simple, pragmatic;

I like your style

maybe a flow sheet would make things even easier to understand ;-)

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

bejacob,

I don't want to speak for the entire community management team on here, but I'm pretty positive we all have the same sentiment and want to extend a big THANK YOU for writing this post It is extremely helpful for new members that come on just to ask about being enrolled in a challenge, and we hope it helps answer questions they may have about what a challenge is and what they would be eligible based on their current status. It is noteworthy that we still need to check account eligibility for enrollment in challenges based on previous challenges completed or special offers that have been extended in the past so not everyone that inquires is able to participate.

Again, thank you so much for the time you invested in this - you're a rockstar!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

You're welcome.

It seemed many folks were asking for something they were not eligible to receive. I'm not sure this will stop the madness, but I'm hopeful it will give new Insiders a better idea of what to expect. I kept seeing Silver elites asking for Platinum challenges and decided to say something.

The fact that status challenges even exist is a great benefit when trying to move up the elite ladder. What frustrates me are folks who want to reach the top levels without doing the work to get there. Completing the challenges does show a commitment to Marriott. Trying to reach the top without hitting the intermediate steps along the way shows both a lack of commitment and a lack of understanding. While this topic can't do anything about the first issue, perhaps it can help with the second.

To you and the entire team. Thanks for all you do.

jamarali Platinum

Hello!

Please help me: if I got a "taste of gold" promotion (Gold Challenge) in October 2015, has fulfilled all the conditions in January 2016, when I could get a platinum challenge?

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi there,

Rewards members are not eligible for new status challenges until one year after the end of their enrollment in their last challenge.

Thanks!

princesmelis99 Gold

I would  to sign up for the gold challenge.  I am currently at Silver status. Also would I have to rebook all my upcoming travels for the challege, or those automatically count toward it?

spas31 Gold

Hi - I would like to request for a platinum challenge. Thanks!

renecjohnson20 Gold

Hello, I would like to enroll in the platinum challenge.

You might want to read the qualifications again. Until you reach Gold, you would be ineligible to enroll in a Platinum challenge.

Check out Status Challenges: What are they and how do I enroll? for details on how to get signed up.

renecjohnson20 Gold

Oops, well then gold challenge. Thanks!

usarmycor Gold

My auestion is

I Signed up for the challenge program and if I stay in 3 differents Marriott hotell within a week in the same city

with this be credit tour the challenge program as 1 or 3 nights

thanks

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great question, usarmycorAll nights under one reservation number will count as a stay. Since the stays you've mentioned above are at separate properties with separate reservation numbers, they will count as 2 separate stays. 

usarmycor Gold

IS there is a way to see how many stay I have tour my platinum challenge?

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Unfortunately, your progress for these challenges will not show up in your online account.  However, we can always take a look for you.  Would you mind sending me a direct message with your Rewards number, usarmycor

curious_traveler Silver

I'm happy I found this. The explanation is perfect. I used to travel often a few years, and stayed at various chains, until a work change left me in the office most of the time. I love Marriott, but it was not available  in  so many locations. This site will help me get the most bang for the ...points...Thanks!

shaunfromcolumbus,ohio Gold

Liked this post and good explanation.