17 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2016 1:27 PM by pluto77 RSS

23 Hour Layover LHR - What to do?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I am trying to decide stay and activity options for an upcoming layover at LHR.  The difficult piece of this puzzle is the fact that I'll arrive in the afternoon (14:30), and depart the following day (13:40).  I've looked at schedules for museums, and none of them are open late the day that I will be there, so museums, which close at 5:00-5:30pm are out.  Also, no musical performances going on.  If I stay in the city, I think I will need to leave for the airport fairly early (like by 9:45am) to ensure that I won't miss my flight, so there wont be any time for activities in the morning, unless perhaps taking a very early stroll (which is actually quite lovely, but of course means no rest for the wicked).  Maybe it's just best to stay at the LHR Ren, and maybe tube into the city for a bit of shopping, dining and/or theater in the evening, then tube back, get up the next morning and do some runway watching before checking out and heading off, thus being assured of catching my flight.  I'm curious what other Insiders would do in this case (besides perhaps choosing different flight options, since change is not an option.)

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom Autograph Collection St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection
Hounslow, England, United Kingdom Renaissance Hotels Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
  • Re: 23 Hour Layover LHR - What to do?
    7 Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm not a good person to answer since I've yet to step foot outside of LHR... but, I like your plan for staying at the LHR Ren and that is what I'd probably do.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks, 7.  Even though you haven't yet stepped foot out of the airport, your reply has given me some added clarity.  I can enjoy the evening offerings of the city regardless of whether I stay in the city or at LHR.  So now, the real question is, how do I want to spend the morning before flying out?  Relaxing at the LHR Ren and taking in some runway watching, while enjoying piece of mind in knowing that I won't miss my flight?  Or getting up very early in the city, to take in the sublime sights of London on an early morning stroll, while the rest of the tourist world sleeps, only to have to then dash off back to LHR (no pressure there ) to make my flight, and one that I paid extra for no less, just so I could fly a Dreamliner?  Decisions, decisions.

What say others?

7 Platinum 1 Reviews

Personally, I'm a hurry up and wait type and always like to be early. I can't really relax until I get to the airport, through security, etc...

So, I'd take it easy and maybe sleep in and get some breakfast at the Ren before checking out and heading to LHR. I would be there a few hours early and spend it window shopping, people watching, and maybe grab a snack or lunch.

That of course, would be the smart, practical thing to do.  Sometimes (okay often), we can't have it all.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

I'm with you 7 on being early.

BTW last time I was in London I left the hotel 3 hours prior to my departure, should be lots of time right? non-rush hour mid morning from the JW Marriott. But there was protestors blocking the access to LHR and because my driver knew the shorts cuts I barely made my flight. Same holds true for CDG in Paris, leave early then when your through security you can relax. I'd rather be early than stressing about missing my flight.

23 hours is really not a lot of time if one factors in time to/from the airport etc.

JD

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

23 hours in LHR, well your times are as you've pointed out, pretty awkward for museum visits, though don't forget many London museums are free to visit, so if you arrive early and quickly make your way through customs, by using the Heathrow Express and tube you could squeeze in a visit to the British Museum, V&A or the Victorian splendour of the Natural History museum.

Allowing for more typical delays you still have plenty of time to self tour, seeing the Houses of Parliament, Downing Street,  Pall Mall, arrange a spin on the London Eye. Stroll around Covent Gardens, or the Inns of Court. Take a Thames boat tour or see Buckingham Palace. Visit Harrods (believe it or not, you dont actually have to spend shedloads of money there - the food hall is a wonderous place) or enjoy a walk through Hyde Park, or down Oxford St. Take a trip on the Emirates Skyline (cable car) across the Thames and see if anythings on at the O2. Walk around the ancient City of London and visit St Pauls. Like St Pauls, Westminster Abbey is fascinating to walk around even if its not nominally open. Using the tube and busses there's much you can tour around, even if there's few attractions that are open.

If you want to do both the evening and an early morning walk then best to stay in the central area, St Ermins Autograph or County Hall are close to Parliament and the London Eye and from where you can take a Thames cruise. The JW and Park Lane Marriotts are close by Oxford St and Hyde Park. West India Quay is a DLR ride from the O2, the cablecar and another Thames cruise stop, or the other way, to the City and St Pauls. Kensington Marriott is walking distance to the V&A, Natural History Museum and Harrods. All these hotels are close to tube stations (except WIQ which is next door to the DLR). So if you want to get on your walking boots, there's plenty to do staying in the city centre.

Lower your ambitions and you could get some nice walking by staying at the LHR Ren and taking the tube in, walking around in the late afternoon and early evening, taking in the runway views from the exec lounge in the morning.

Or, how about something left of centre? Stay at the Heathrow-Windsor Marriott and take a £10 cab into Windsor. Alas the castle will be closed for your hours but Windsor is a delightful place to walk around with with winding streets, historic architecture and some lovely shops and restaurants.

All of the hotels mentioned have 7-day exec lounges with good food and free wine/beer except the Autograph - oh, and the Heathrow-Windsor Marriott lounge is closed at weekends.

I hope this has whetted your appetite, and if you've any questions dont hesitate to ask. I would volunteer to meet you, but I've a feeling your stopover is around 15 September, and I'll be in Texas by then... Can't quite recall why

Whoa there horsey, that's a lot of stuff!  Actually, when I break it down, there's much good food for thought here, and I thank you, my good man.  I've already done quite a bit of these things just last year (and Windsor was quite lovely as well).  The museums comprise the bulk of my London deficits (and to my greatest sorrow) and it looks as though they shall remain that way for now.  Though do you really imagine that with a 2:30pm touchdown, I could arrive early enough to any of the three museums that you mentioned - BM, V&A, MNH - to actually see something?  I suppose I could pick one in advance, head to it first, then check into my hotel afterwards.  I will have a backpack so don't know if they'll allow it in there or if there are lockers or a bag check/closet.  St. Ermin's is exactly the London property that I am considering. The other place that I sorely missed my last visit and would LOVE to spend time at is St. Paul's.  They don't lock the front doors at a certain time there like they do at Westminster Abbey (I loved the Abbey grounds)?  Otherwise, it would be fun to hit Harrod's.  I hadn't thought about the Emirates Skyline.  Good views?  Is it overrun with tourists?  Is there an observation deck in the Shard (would that be better?)  Not really interested in the Eye or it's crowds.

Would the Heathrow Express really save any significant time for the extra cost?  Doesn't it go to Paddington and you still have to get on the tube anyway?  I would like to repeat my early morning walkabout from last year.  In just two hours, I covered a tremendous amount of ground, and not even hoofing it.  I've found that the early morning is the best time to enjoy a big city.  If I'm back by 8am, I can be out of there by 9:30, and on my way back to LHR.

Now I had planned to check a bag in Venice and just have the light backpack for the layover, however, it occurs to me that a 23 hour layover would provide my U.S. based carrier with an excellent opportunity to misplace my bag (the best case scenario would be if they just threw it on an earlier flight to IAH, and it would be waiting there when I arrived.)  Thanks for your excellent offerings, Brightly B.

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 6, 2016, at 10:41 AM, brightlybob <insiders-emails@marriott.com> wrote:

Marriott Rewards® Insiders

23 Hour Layover LHR - What to do?

created by brightlybob in Destinations - View the full discussion

23 hours in LHR, well your times are as you've pointed out, pretty awkward for museum visits, though don't forget many London museums are free to visit, so if you arrive early and quickly make your way through customs, by using the Heathrow Express and tube you could squeeze in a visit to the British Museum, V&A or the Victorian splendour of the Natural History museum.

Allowing for more typical delays you still have plenty of time to self tour, seeing the Houses of Parliament, Downing Street,  Pall Mall, arrange a spin on the London Eye. Stroll around Covent Gardens, or the Inns of Court. Take a Thames boat tour or see Buckingham Palace. Visit Harrods (believe it or not, you dont actually have to spend shedloads of money there - the food hall is a wonderous place) or enjoy a walk through Hyde Park, or down Oxford St. Take a trip on the Emirates Skyline (cable car) across the Thames and see if anythings on at the O2. Walk around the ancient City of London and visit St Pauls. Like St Pauls,Westminster Abbey is fascinating to walk around even if its not nominally open. Using the tube and busses there's much you can tour around, even if there's few attractions that are open.

If you want to do both the evening and an early morning walk then best to stay in the central area, St Ermins Autograph or County Hall are close to Parliament and the London Eye and from where you can take a Thames cruise. The JW and Park Lane Marriotts are close by Oxford St and Hyde Park. West India Quay is a DLR ride from the O2, the cablecar and another Thames cruise stop, or the other way, to the City and St Pauls. Kensington Marriott is walking distance to the V&A, Natural History Museum and Harrods. All these hotels are close to tube stations (except WIQ which is next door to the DLR). So if you want to get on your walking boots, there's plenty to do staying in the city centre.

Lower your ambitions and you could get some nice walking by staying at the LHR Ren and taking the tube in, walking around in the late afternoon and early evening, taking in the runway views from the exec lounge in the morning.

Or, how about something left of centre? Stay at the Heathrow-Windsor Marriott and take a £10 cab into Windsor. Alas the castle will be closed for your hours but Windsor is a delightful place to walk around with with winding streets, historic architecture and some lovely shops and restaurants.

All of the hotels mentioned have 7-day exec lounges with good food and free wine/beer except the Autograph - oh, and the Heathrow-Windsor Marriott lounge is closed at weekends.

I hope this has whetted your appetite, and if you've any questions dont hesitate to ask. I would volunteer to meet you, but I've a feeling your stopover is around 15 September, and I'll be in Texas by then... Can't quite recall why

Reply to this message by going to Marriott Rewards® Insiders

Start a new discussion in Destinations at Marriott Rewards® Insiders

Not interested in these emails anymore or want to change how often they come? Update your Insiders email preferences

© 1996 - 2012 Marriott International, Inc. All rights reserved. Marriott proprietary information

Marriott Rewards® Insiders

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Pluto,  you may recall your map making abilities helped me out. That along with  sg1974   ideas worked out perfect for me. It was a great walking tour. The Heathrow express and tube were a snap.

Re: 10HR 15M Layover LHR Suggestions, Please.

I did almost the very walk last year. It was magnificent!  I want to do it again.  In the early morning whilst my fellows in kind still slumber. 

What a great thread that was. Thanks for spotlighting it again!  Reviewing all of this makes me want to plan another London trip.  I actually have a short (one week) trip planned to France this spring, which has rapidly turned into a disaster.  I'm tempted to just abandon it by hopping on the Eurostar when I get there, thereby putting France in the rear view mirror for another year.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

pluto77, I had this exact same situation in 2013!  The wife & I checked into the labyrinth Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel - Worn, but Perfect for Spotting!, hopped the tube and had a little walking tour of London.  It was cold & rainy, so we quickly walked through Hyde Park and saw the Houses of Parliament, but spent most of our "free time" in Harrods.  We also had a dinner reservation at London Eats - Petrus by Gordon Ramsey in Belgravia.  The tube pass was kind of expensive/it was raining/we had a lot of stuff to carry/it was late, so we got a taxi back to the hotel.  The next morning, we had breakfast in the CL, relaxed a little, and headed over to LHR for our noon flight to LAX

blava007 Platinum

The Only way to go to the city from Airport is with with Heathrow Express.  Even if select to stay at the airport, I would take the Heahtrow Express it's only 15 minute very comfortable fast ride vs ~ 60 -75 minute ride with Tube. Purchase your tickets on line  Heathrow Express Trains | Trains to Heathrow from London Paddington

Once you are at Paddington you have many transportation options. 

In Westmister Abbey sign-up for their Guided Tour, it's 100% the best money I ever spend.

Have a fun trip.

Thanks, blava007.  If I opt for the museums, it would probably be best to stay at Kensington.  It's 48 mins on the Picadilly line from LHR to museums, 35 mins from LHR if using Heathrow express to Paddington, then transfer to Circle line to museums.  Saves perhaps 15 minutes.  Hmmm, interesting.   Thanks for highlighting the Heathrow Express.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

I'd stay at Heathrow (and the Ren tends to be cheaper), but DEFINITELY go downtown - there are many, many options....  Go to a show - there's always something fun to see!!!

And budget some time to kill/waste/spend in the lounge (or your room) at the Ren, watching the runway at Heathrow!!!!

Runway Watching: LHR Renaissance

Thanks for weighing in.  The evening activities are not so much the problem as the morning.  To plane spot or to do the early morning waltz through the city, when I have it all to meself?  It's a wonderful quandry to have.  The morning activity is the primary driver of the decision as to where to stay - LHR vs. city center.  The evening activities secondarily drive the decision as to where to stay within the city, if staying in the city is chosen. I don't care too much about money.  Well, not too much, anyway (cuz money can't buy me love.   Oh.  Wait.  Nevermind. )  It would either be St. Ermin's or Kensington for proximity AND price.  (Ya, London Edition is not gonna happen.)

Your LHR plane spotting album is so fabulous.

Where else on Earth can we get such fabulous and personal advice from seasoned, savvy travelers in the know, as we can get right here on Marriott Rewards Insiders?  It feels just like when neighbors drop in through the back door and have a nice, productive chat at the kitchen counter for a few minutes.  Insiders, you all are the best!  All responses correct and thanks so much! Please keep the ideas coming, if you think of more.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

pluto77,

Here would be my two options!:

A: Cheap,but the time of day, may make this plan impossible!  If so, find a wonderful place for great meals!

I would take the "Blue Line" on the tube from LHR directly to Westminster Station.

Get out and walk across the street to Westminster Abbey

Then walk across Westminster Bridge to The London Eye

Go inside, for a break at Marriott County Hall, say hello to The Concierge, and get a ticket on The Big Red Bus

Take the Big Red Bus, around if you have time, I would visit Harrods for sure, and have some oysters.

Go back to Westminster and go back to LHR, you will want to give yourself three hours from Westminster, to assure you will catch your flight.

Plan B: Expensive:

Make arrangements with the Concierge at County Hall to have you met at LHR, and set in the back seat of a car and explore London.  You will be able to see all of the sights, no worries about transportation, parking, etc.  Be prepared to spend $100 per hour.  If I had time for just one meal, it would be The Ritz, even if you just have time for one refreshment, there is no place like that.  It is not that expensive as you would think!

Good luck, let us know how you do!

jerrycoin,

It would be nice to say 'hello' to the good folks at County Hall.  The wonderful view from the lobby bar of Big Bennie and the Thames is lovely, for sure. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...