82 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2016 1:07 PM by californian RSS

Marriott offering points to decline maid service

riverm Gold 7 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I recently stayed at a Marriott hotel in MD and they had a card in the room that said you could earn points by declining maid service. I am staying at another hotel in PA and I don't see that card in the room. I am wondering if this is only offered at specific hotels, or is this something that you have to ask the front desk about?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada Marriott Hotels & Resorts Ottawa Marriott Hotel
  • Re: Marriott offering points to decline maid service
    carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi riverm,

Thanks for sharing this with me!  You are correct, currently this is only being offered in a few select hotels.  What are your thoughts on this promotion? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

7 Gold 1 Reviews

I don't think I've seen it offered, but I would love it. Most of my business stays are 1-3 weeks and I definitely don't need service every day and think this would be a great option.

major_dad Platinum

My wife and I stayed at the Renaissance in Nashville for four nights over the 'Lear Year' Weekend.  We earned 1,500 points because we chose to hang the 'We're earning Points' placard on our door.  Very nice gesture. If more patrons would save on the daily cleaning...unless you live a very dirty messy life...the cost savings to Marriott would be immense since they would not have to have the maids doing as much as often.  Thanks. 

GoldenBoy Platinum

Of course this could be a ploy not to hire as many housekeepers, less work, less need for as many maids?

karo7 Gold

I like the idea of this promotion - I would certainly opt-in if I saw it offered during my hotel stay (haven't seen it yet).

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

Starwood has been doing this for years and they offer 500 points.  However 1 Starwood point is worth about 3 Marriott points.  By this Marriott is being cheap.  They should offer 1500 points.  They are saving at least the cost of the points.  Why not give that savings to us.

riverm Gold 7 Reviews

I think that this is a wonderful concept and look forward to more Marriott hotels offering this promotion.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

This was offered at one of the properties I stayed at last year.  I loved getting the points, as I didn't need maid service every day and I made my son tidy up his sofa bed each morning.  I considered that a win-win for our stay!  This is a wonderful option when it's available.

dzuspann Platinum

One of my thoughts is Marriott will need fewer maids if this catches on. There will be some headcount reductions inevitably.

jrmchicago Platinum

Is the Marriott program 500 points per night or per stay? If it's per stay, I don't think it's worth it, especially since I understand the housekeepers are paid per room cleaned. I hate to take money out of their pocket for a few points.

The SPG program is 500 points per night.  I was making more points per night off their green program than I was from points spent on my room.

GoldenBoy Platinum

I stayed at the Marriott Schaumburg (IL) recently and saw that, as well.  There was a card in the room that said if I put the "no service" card on the door knob, I'd get 500 points per night. Even though I stayed 2 nights, I got points for one "day" (no credit for departure date since they must clean it for the next guest)!

bigmrm Platinum

"@carat What are your thoughts on this promotion?"

Well, I don't consider it a promotion -- I think it benefits the hotel and some of that benefit is being returned to the guest. Sounds like a win-win and I see it as a good thing for all involved. Kudos!

That said, I didn't receive my no-housekeeping credit for my last stay and I've heard lots of other people with the same complaint. I hope the program not only is expanded but the procedures improved too!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi bigmrm.  If you have not received bonus points for not declining housekeeping, feel free to send a note with the hotel name/location, dates of your stay and your Rewards points.  That will provide all the information necessary to take a look into the missing points.

jrmchicago Platinum

Sheraton has a similar program but offers 500 points PER NIGHT, which I believe is more lucrative.  My problem with these programs though is that housekeepers are typically paid per room they clean.  I'm taking more out of their pocket than the few points I earn from not having my room cleaned.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

I do a lot of multi-night stays and also like the option.  However, don't see it very often.

pilam76 Platinum

Yup I earned 1200 points on a stay in Cleveland by turning down maid service. Only at select hotels.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

To be honest, I'm a bit of a slob and my wife likes things really neat.  To keep the peace, we never turn down maid service, though 120,000 points seems nice.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

So far I've only seen this offered at the Gateway in Crystal City and I take advantage of it every time I stay there.  I think it is a great idea.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Whilst at the Brussells Marriott I was offered the opportunity to refuse housekeeping for a €5 credit. That provided me with my nightcap each evening.

dzuspann Platinum

Cincinnati Marriot Northeast is offering 500 points a night if you agree to minimum of 3 consecutive nights of no maid service.

A card in room is hung on the door by 2 am and it says enroll at front desk or at /marriotrewards. I cannot find on website where to enroll so the front desk is where to go.

peymanagement Platinum

At las Vegas Ren, it was 500 points or a ten dollar voucher, I didn't do it but will next time.

homoviator Platinum

Cool to hear! I'm staying there this year for 2 nights. I'll happily decline for 500 pts or $10.000 voucher.

benbuck6 Silver

We would definitely turn it down every other day for the points on multi-night stays

seatexan Platinum

This is a GREAT idea.  I rarely use maid service.  I leave my DND sign on the door.  There is no need for them to waste their energy on me when rooms need to be turned over. 

My suitcase might explode all over the room, but trash goes in the trash and towels are always hung to dry for reuse.

So if I can score a few points for doing what I already do, that's a real win win!

eddiec Gold

That would be an awesome option to have at all venues. You'd find that many will opt in and make it easier on the staffing and resources. Great "out of the box" idea.

peymanagement Platinum

It is a good business case for Marriott. 500 points is worth about 5 bucks to the customer, but much less to the company. The 10 dollar voucher requires you to venture into a restaurant  or bar, and likely spend more than the ten bucks. I like it for security reasons, it means that the only one who can enter my room is me.

And they can claim green credits.

dzuspann Platinum

The Cincinnati Marriott Northeast offers this service. The front desk did tell me 3 nights in a row is the max they will allow one to decline maid service. They will clean your room at least every 4th night.

misarje Platinum

We are in the Dallas Renaissance as we speak and just happened to see the little card on the bed and definitely opted for the points.  We left the Austin Courtyard a few days ago and never saw anything about declining  maid service there. 

nmballoonist Platinum

I have also seen this at a few properties recently.  The Marriott in Overland Park, the Marriott in Gaithersburg, and the Crystal City Marriott.  Like others, on a multiday stay I take advantage of it one or two nights.  Have picked up 500 points per night by declining service. 

As far as enrolling, I think they are saying you have to be enrolled in the Marriott Rewards program to use this option.  All you have to do is put the hang tag out by 2 AM.  I've picked up an easy 3000 points using it.

jimaruba Gold 1 Reviews

Is there a list of Hotels offering the option?

karo7 Gold

I recently stayed at a hotel where this was offered but did not get my rewards points for declining maid service during my Mon-Thurs stay. The stay was credited to my account but it appears they forgot about my extra points...

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I would just call them or, if you received an email receipt, just email them and point out their omission.  That has happened to me and they immediately correct it.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi karo7,

Feel free to send me a message with your Rewards number & reservation/confirmation number so we can have our team look into the missing points if you're not able to call as psudad suggested!

johang007 Silver

SO what is the point on staying at hotels ?? Is not as If we are paying less foe the maid. So yes, I do want a maid service .

Apparently in order to reduce cost , we are loosing the concept of a hotel..

seatexan Platinum

Don't worry! The hotel concept is not lost by this option.  It is only an option

When on business and the points are offered I do decline maid service, but when on leisure, or now on my 10-night honeymoon at SoBe Stanton I'm less inclined to. When I mentioned I'd found the card to the missus she just replied that 500 points seems like very little to refuse a maid, and as we're here on leisure part of the whole break is a clean room, clean loo, clean shower, every day! I agree, this has been a lovely 10-days with no washing, cooking, cleaning or working...

Well just a bit of work, I'm a self employed lawyer and my cases don't stop, opposition lawyers and judges would put me out of business if I actually didn't work for a week, the time limits in this job are too tight. I never realised when I entered the law that actually a weeks total holiday from work is impossible, Maybe I wouldn't have signed up if I'd been told "Welcome to the law, your next holiday will be in half a century"

peymanagement Platinum

brightlybob, your misses makes a very good point about points, 500 points is nothing compared to a nice clean room to come back to when you are on vacation. I think the only time I would entertain it is when I am actually working which is rare now. I like to leave my stuff out, have my files on the floor, in my order, The story on here a few days back about a lost SD card was always my greatest fear, that would be a disaster for me. I never stored anything on my computer because I knew it could get lost or stolen so I had thumb drives backed up by SD cards.

Glad to hear you are having a great time, other than a little work.

I don't think your vocation is alone in working on vacation, when I was in private consulting I remember working each day, what I did was get up at 6, make a coffee and sit out on the deck and work till eight am. It was never noticed. and then I would do another hour if needed later in the day.

vertol46 Platinum

Congrats on the nuptials! Much happiness to you both.

nmballoonist Platinum

Congratulations brightlybob

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

bob we will look  forward to some legal stories in Houston

Thanks for the good wishes folks, and I'm not so sure you'll want me relating 33 years of legal anecdotes at TIPPLE Jerry, we only have 48 hours, you know

YogiB Platinum

brightlybob: "I never realised when I entered the law that actually a weeks total holiday from work is impossible, Maybe I wouldn't have signed up if I'd been told "Welcome to the law, your next holiday will be in half a century"

Yes, you're occupation is full of bad surprises. The top one being that the professional association is a bar, but it doesn't serve alcohol!

bctg77 Platinum 6 Reviews

Does the hotel review this policy or choice when you check-in or do you just have to find out on your own....?

nmballoonist Platinum

No one has said anything at check in, but if its offered there is a door hang tag you just put outside before 2 AM, and I assume the same person who looks for breakfast orders notes your decline.  Then the points show up on your MR account when your stay points are posted.

boomer Platinum

I have seen this at several properties but I guess one of the little luxuries of staying in a hotel (either work or pleasure) is to get a freshly made bed and fresh towels every day without doing it yourself.  The one or 2 times that I thought about taking up the offer I missed the 2am deadline so I have yet to cash in.

Rita Member

I would really like to see this at all Marriott properties.  I rarely use maid service and would appreciate the points.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Did it last night. Will see if I get the points

richbine Platinum

I just got back from 2 weeks at the La Jolla San Diego Marriott.  It is a wonderful hotel, recently renovated and overall excellent service.  The housekeeping side of the shop needs some work.  The hotel offers the 500 points per night if you do not use the maid service up to three consecutive nights.  Their policy is to clean your room every fourth day as a minimum.  You are supposed to hang your placard on the door indicating you want the points instead of the maid service.  The placard must be displayed prior to 2:00AM the day you do not want the service.  I was staying on the concierge/club level of the hotel expecting outstanding service due to the upgraded accommodations (regardless of the fact that I received a free upgrade due to my Lifetime Platinum status).  My two business associates had similar type rooms.  Long story short, the points in lieu of service program turned out to be a fiasco.  Either the housekeeping staff had not been properly trained or supervised with regards to the program and/or the hotel management was not prepared for the program demands.  In my case, I did not opt for the points on any of my 12 nights at the hotel.  However, housekeeping failed to timely clean my room on three different days.  My other two colleagues used the points placard system (or at least tried to do so) for three nights each of the two weeks and as a result their respective rooms were not cleaned for 9 of the 12 nights even though it should have been only 6 of the 12.  In addition, they did not get the proper amount of points in lieu of the service.  The hotel tried to be accommodating and said they would rectify the housekeeping/point issue which they did upon my colleagues further follow-up upon check-out.  I got the impression that the housekeeping supervisory staff was so intent on trying to keep track of those who did not want maid service and those that did, that they got confused and lost in their own tracking system.  My final thought is, I would prefer to have timely housekeeping service daily rather than the points, and after this experience I don't think I will change my mind anytime soon!

GoldenBoy Platinum

Although if Marriott offered this everywhere, allocating millions of additional points, they'd likely raise the amount of points required for a reward stay, or raise hotel category numbers to make up for it

dgerhart024 Platinum

FYI - I checked into the Courtyard in Columbia, MD for 2 nights last evening and will be earning points instead of having my room cleaned.  Considering I'll be spending about 10-12 hours a day at the client and literally be in the room to change before going out for dinner/drinks with the Client and only come back to sleep...this is a nice bonus!

Nice to see this becoming more common among properties!  Cheers to all!

boomer Platinum

I stay at that property with some frequency (not the easiest place to find).  The Stanford Grille right next door has great food as well as, for somethine more causal, the Pub Dog (right in a strip mall on the way into the hotel) for bar pizzas and in-house brewed beer.

dgerhart024 Platinum

Yes, both of those places have great food.  I am also found a place called Frisco Taphouse (<1 mile away).  They have about 60 craft brews on tap and are always rotating.  I highly recommend them if you are a craft brew fan!

The Greene Turtle is another bar fairly close by with good food and great HH specials!  Highly recommend the hog hammers - delicious ribs!!!

danijean1008 Silver

250 points per night for declining room service.  whhhhat!

I can't see me declining maid service for only 250 points but sometimes I'm working in the room much of the day and decline service anyway, so then it would be an extra 250 points. Not sure that's the purpose though!

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I don't think that is the purpose either brightlybob.  I would never decline maid service for a measly 250 points, but then I am just a leisure traveller nowadays, and so like to have the room all nice and pristine on return from a day out.  But like you, when I was working, I stayed in hotels a lot, and worked in my room a lot.  So I sometimes told the maid not to worry, the room would wait until the next day.

jwind Platinum

I think this is only at select hotels but beware. As others have noted, getting the points is inconsistent at best (like most other benefits/Marriott properties). I have been staying at the same property for the past 14 weeks and ALWAYS decline service and elect to get the points. The only thing that is consistent about getting the points is that they consistently do not add the correct amount. My guess would be that they think people do not notice, 500 or 1000 points here or there is nothing in Marriott points, however 7500-15000 over the course of 15 weeks is actually something. I hope they do something to fix this soon, in my experience they would not be in consistent like this at a hyatt, hilton or starwood property.

vertol46 Platinum

From my recent extended stay at CY, I agree it's inconsistent. Sometimes my room was cleaned when I opted for the points. Sometimes I didn't get the points credited for skipping the service. But I always had good response from the gm when I emailed him about it. Ended up with more points than promised.

dzuspann Platinum

My points have been consistently applied at the Cincinnati Northeast property when I skip maid service. 500 points every day without any issues..

pilam76 Platinum

The springhill suites Charlotte university research park just offered me 250 points for every day I opt out of maid service - I can opt out every day except checkout.

ca6440 Gold

This is a wonderful idea, I'm barely in the room due to meetings.  in January while staying 7 nights at the Salt Lake CityCreek Downtown Marriott. I decided to take out my own garbage daily, and realized many other guests had the same idea, causing a slight issue with the volume of trash in the small garbage car near the ice/soda machines. 

Also, it was a bit hard to distinguish those points, as they appeared to be lumped on the account with gold bonus & those given to me for the Saturday & Sunday breakfast points due to the closed Concierge Lounge.  I've subsequently stayed in 5 other Marriotts (3 in the UK), none of which offered points in lieu of Maid Service for multi night stays.

renaissanceman1944 Platinum

I've seen it mostly at FS locations and always in larger cities...NYC, Boston, Baltimore and Philly...I'm normally a points *****...LOL..and try to rack up as many as possible but can't seem to take advantage of this one and grab the points.  I love coming back to to a clean tidy room that has been refreshed for another day.  Same with with hanging up the towels to be used for another day...I get the whole "great for the environment" purpose but never seem to do that either.  I look at staying at a hotel either on business or pleasure to be a time to take it easy and have someone else take care of me...Marriott does a fine job at that!