49 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2016 9:58 PM by razorbackfan RSS

We were WALKED for the very first time....

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

....and I have waited for 5 days to post so that I wouldn't be so angry; however, I am still angry. I made our reservation several months ago for the Springhill Suites Downtown Houston, part of a complex also containing a Residence Inn and a Courtyard.  The prices went down several times after I made the reservation and I had to cancel and rebook to get the lower rates.

Last Friday, I checked in online and submitted a request for an early check-in.  I did not get a "Your room is ready" email, but we going to Minute Maid Stadium which is nearby, so we went by the hotel to see if we could check-in.  I was told they had been very busy and our room was not ready.  That was not a problem.  As I left, I asked the desk agent to save us a nice room and he said he would.  About an hour later, I got the "Your room is ready" email, but we were already at the ballpark where my husband would be taking pictures of 2 of the 3 games.

Fast forward about 9 hours and we returned to the hotel to check in.  I knew something was wrong when the desk agent excused himself and went to a telephone at another station.  I heard him ask, "Do you still have a room?"  He came back and told him that we would be moved to the Hyatt Regency which was about 3 blocks away.  He said they were really busy because of all the activities in downtown Houston over the week-end.  I asked him about breakfast at the new hotel and I understood him to explain that if it was charged to the room it would be covered. I didn't shoot the messenger because he was only delivering the message.  We drove to the newly assigned hotel, it was about midnight by this time, handed over the keys to the valet who told us it would be difficult to get out of the garage the next morning because of the rodeo parade and a 10K run which preceded the parade, then walked inside where we were warmly welcomed.  Again, I asked about breakfast and told the desk agent what the agent at the Springhill Suites had explained to me.  The room was nice and the bathroom was really nice. We decided to get up earlier than we had originally planned in case breakfast was crowded and knowing that leaving the hotel might be a problem.  Breakfast was not crowded and we enjoyed a nice buffet breakfast which we charged to the room. We called for the car and were told the valet would walk us to the garage where the car was parked.  When we checked out, the breakfast was on the bill as I expected; however, I was told I needed to pay for it.  The agent told me that was not included in what the Springhill Suites would cover, but another agent told her they would take care of it.  We were walked several blocks to the garage where our car had been parked, but could not cross the street because of all the runners.  We eventually found a space where we could cross, but still had to dodge runners.

It was about 9 pm by the time we returned to the Springhill Suites. I did not shoot the messenger, but explained to him how angry I was the previous night when we were walked and told him that in addition to the stay at the Hyatt Regency being covered, I wanted bonus points for the inconvenience.  He said he would note that in my record. We did have a room this time.  It was tiny!  According to the map on the door, it was the smallest room on the floor. We were too tired to go back to the desk to ask for a new room assignment. The room was quiet.  Breakfast was typical of a Springhill Suites. 

When we went to check-out, the desk clerk was the same one who had been on duty when we went by on Friday.  We had a discussion about what had happened and he told me he had saved us a room, but someone else had given it away.  He apologized and said points had been added to my account (as I had asked). I asked if we would get credit for the night we didn't have a room because we were working on the spring bonus.  He said no, there was no way to add a night if we didn't stay, but they had paid for the night.  He said points were expensive for him to buy, but he would add even more points if I wanted him to. 

My points for the 1-night hotel stay posted correctly, but no bonus points had been added.  I have also been charged for the breakfast at the Hyatt Regency ($36.81).  Would I stay at this hotel again?  Absolutely not!  I will be emailing the Springhill Suites Front Desk Supervisor shortly.  By the way,  I also got a request to review this hotel.  Unfortunately, I will not be able to give them a good review.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Houston, Texas, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott
  • Re: We were WALKED for the very first time....
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Geez, if they were that full, you'd think they'd walk a non MR person, or a silver or something.  Apparently platinum isn't worth much, huh?  I know that sometimes these things happen, but it seems this one wasn't handled very well.  If this ever happens to me, I'm marching my butt over to the original hotel and helping myself to the breakfast

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I asked about who was walked.  I was told they were oversold by about 20 rooms.  The desk agent told me he thought 11 of those 20 rooms were platinum.   I was also told that the reservations that were made through a 3rd party were sent to properties like Days Inn.

I hadn't thought about going back to the SS for breakfast.  All they have is valet parking, so they probably would have charged me to park so I could eat breakfast.

This is the first time anything like this has happened to us and I don't think it was handled very well either.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

clearly not handled well and for hotel to be that far over booked is shameful. I have had it happen to me once but not in a Marriott and like you checked in very late

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I can almost guarantee that if you hadn't gone back you would have been charged for a no show

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Wow, that's a lot of oversold rooms!!

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Don't know if this would have helped, but since you arrived early then didn't show up again till real late, perhaps using the mobile check in, which includes what time you will arrive, might have helped.

I had used the mobile check-in and indicated an early check-in time.  When an early check-in was not available, I told the desk agent we would be late returning and to please save me a good room.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Well as a plat you should claim the ultimate guarantee... $100 cash and 90,000 points and pay the costs of the Hyatt including breakfast as that's what SHS includes. You should also get the night credit.

How much of this has happened?

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Sorry to hear that you got walked and had this experience razorbackfan. It sounds like you are reaching out to the hotel directly, but if you need anymore assistance, do not hesitate to reach out to me or any of the other community managers.

deannad, I have reached out to the hotel directly and they have responded to me, but as I told brightlybob, I will be claiming the Ultimate Guarantee for Platinum Elite Members.  I will definitely reach out to you if necessary.  Thanks.

Good morning, deannad.  I am going to send you a direct message with my account information because I have not gotten the Ultimate Guarantee compensation that I expected from the hotel.  Please share it with other Community Managers as you see necessary. 

OH dear, razorbackfan I'm really surpridsed the hotel is wriggling on this.

And and its cost them $209 as well as Ive decided to arrive a day earlier for TIPPLE and to stay in the city centre and was going to stay in the SHS for no other reason than as it was exactly the same price for the night as the CY and RI with which it shares premises, staying at the SHS would get me the badge, as bejacob and I are planning a SHS stay during our road trip. But if the Springhill Suites Houston Hotels in Downtown Houston | Springhill Suites Houston Downtown doesnt abide by Marriotts Guarantees what other matters does it feel itself equally unbound? Hygiene? Food preparation rules? Vermin control? Fire regs? When one part of the business is being run in flagrant disregard of contractural obligations, what other parts of this hotel are being allowed similar lapses?

I'll avoid Hotels in Downtown Houston | Springhill Suites Houston Downtown

DO keep us advised of progress

Location Brand Hotel
        Houston, Texas, USA SpringHill Suites By Marriott

Hello, brightlybob.  I guess the hotel just doesn't want to buy the "expensive" points to fulfill the guarantee.  During my discussion with the desk agent during check-out, he told me I wouldn't believe how expensive buying points were for the hotel.  I guess he had forgotten that I didn't cause this problem and I really didn't care how much they cost.

We stayed at the Marriott at the Medical Center and the Courtyard near the Medical Center before/during/after my knee replacements.  I highly recommend those hotels.  IAHFlyer and ssindc also recommend the Icon.  It was out of our budget for our recent trip, but based on their recommendations I hope to try it sometime.

I will keep you all advised of the progress.  I also plan on completing a review on Trip Advisor as suggested by kharada46, but I am waiting for the final outcome before I do that.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

I look forward to learning the outcome of your experience razorbackfan and hope the property honors the guarantees!

BREAKING NEWS!!!  The hotel has honored the guarantee.  The points have posted in increments in my account and the check has been processed and I should receive it in a few days.  I really appreciated deannad getting involved and helping me get this issue resolved.  I have never needed to buy points, but I was astonished to discover that buying 90,000 points would cost me $1125!  I don't know if the hotel's cost is the same or not.  While it is nice to have the points and the $100 (which will definitely cover our breakfast), I really wish that our reservation had been honored. It sure would have been less stress.

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Thank you razorbackfan, I have received your message and am working with the appropriate team. I will let you know as soon as we hear back!

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

razorbackfan - SORRY TO HEAR THAT!  (Although I must say I'm somewhat impressed they moved you to the Hyatt....)

Next time, try the Autograph Icon, which is a personal favorite - it's a relatively short walk to the stadium (and it's much nicer than the SHS)...

Again, sorry to hear about your experience....

Yeah, the Hyatt was very nice.  I was told that those guests who made reservations through a 3rd party were sent to Days Inn or similar.  I would have thrown a hissy fit if they had tried to send me to the Days Inn...."messenger" or not!

I had considered the Autograph Icon because I knew you and IAHFLYER liked it.  It was quite a bit more money.  My husband was carrying so much camera gear and his laptop that we were planning on driving anyway.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Poorly handled by the hotel.  You showed great restraint by waiting to post this and you made your points far mor rationally than you might have, had you posted right away.

I won't be trying that RI if I ever go to Texas.

phctourist, I am generally a very patient person and try to look for a solution rather than throwing a fit.  It is unusual for me to be so unhappy with the solution of a problem because I am a person who is willing to compromise if I am satisfied with the outcome.  As I said, this was the first time we had ever been walked and I was not happy with the solution.  I will keep everyone informed about the final result.

vertol46 Platinum

Below is part of the Terms and Conditions (Rewards Terms and Conditions). It sounds as though the SpringHill Suites failed to abide by them. If so, and if you're unable to resolve the matter with the hotel or MRI help, then consider putting the charge into dispute with your credit card bank until it is resolved. I've done that to good effect when the hotel has not abided by the terms.

If an Elite Member has a confirmed reservation, but is relocated from the hotel upon arrival, the property will pay the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation in place on that date under the Program Rules. If an Elite Member receives Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation, then he/she is not eligible to receive additional Elite Benefits Guarantee compensation.

BrandGuest Compensation*
    JW Marriott, EDITION, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels,
    Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels (limited participation), and Gaylord Hotels
    $200 USD90,000 points
    140,000 points at The Ritz-Carlton hotels
    AC Hotels, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn & Suites, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels®$100 USD90,000 points
    (Platinum Elite Members only)

I will definitely let the hotel know that I expect the platinum guest compensation. I will let you know what they do.

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

getting walked is bad enough..the other stuff just adds insult to the injuries.

peymanagement Platinum

sorry to hear, push for your compensation plus++++and let us know. This is just unacceptable treatment for a long term poster on here. Makes me an ======== Angry ========Bird.

I am currently waiting to hear from the hotel.  They made 2 offers after I told them I expected the platinum guest compensation.  I stood my ground and said I expected them to uphold the guarantee.

I am shocked the hotel is trying to wriggle its way out of this. It's a guarantee so there shouldn't be any argument. Approach the mods if this doesn't happen soon and ensure that they understand you should be compensated now for this continuing farce, as well as the not-so-guaranteed "ultimate guarantee"

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Sorry you had a less than desired stay in H-Town.  Yes, last weekend was a busy one alright yet I am very very surprised the hotel was so over booked.  Wonder how often hotels do that and how often folks are walked? 

Seems like the Feds would monitor that as they do the involuntary bumps from airline flight.

IAHFLYR There was a whole lot of activities going on in H-Town.  We were in town for the Shriner's Houston College Classic, a baseball event which included 6 teams including my Hogs.  There was also the World's Championship BBQ contest, the rodeo, the rodeo parade, a 10K that preceded the parade, Comic Con, a trading card show, a Rockets game, an ACDC concert, and a swim meet just to name a few.  Thursday night it was also the site of the presidential debate.  Plus downtown had lots of road construction going on!

I know Houston must host a lot of events, so I don't understand why this particular week-end caused so much confusion with room availability.  I think airlines expect a certain number of no-shows and plan accordingly; however, involuntary bumps still occur.  I wonder if hotels do the same?

I think I will post a survey to find out how many MI have experienced a "bump" or "boot" as kharada46 described it.

fistuk Platinum

I personally think that in your specific case being walked due to no availability wasn't that bad:

1. It's not like you've been walked out of one of Marriott's luxury hotels, but it was only Springhill Suites. Obviously, there's no base of comparing it to the Hyatt which you were moved to instead.

2. If you manage to get the proper compensation according to the ultimate guarantee than you were lucky:

Being walked out is a rare occasion, and getting $200 plus 90k points isn't something you can just say no to.

I wonder if and when I'll be fortunate enough to experience that... oh, they'll compensate me alright 

Sorry to hear you got the boot razorbackfan!  This situation was handled just awfully... I'm glad you had a good experience at the Hyatt, though, and let me just say that so far in my limited experience with them, that their service tends to be better than Marriott.  I find it inexcusable to walk you after checking in early and then not uphold the Platinum Guarantee.  I do hope the property responds appropriately now.  Be sure to also write about the experience on TripAdvisor (some properties monitor that site like crazy) and perhaps Yelp. 

Perhaps Marriott should include indicators on our record/profile to show properties that we (active) Insiders are more than your average guests

kharada46 I like your description "got the boot" rather than "walked".  That's what I felt like.

The Hyatt was very nice.  I've never wanted to venture away from Marriott, but if ever I need to I think I might look at Hyatt.  I still don't understand why we got the boot after online check-in and going by the hotel.  I also wonder why I wasn't sent to the Icon or J.W. which are also nearby. That way I would have gotten my points and night credit and breakfast.

I will post on Trip Advisor.  I have posted a few reviews there, but now I usually just read reviews for hotels I am interested in.  Speaking of reviews, I did get one for this stay.  I just completed it last night.  It did not give me the option of having it posted to the reviews on the hotel website.

When the desk agent was giving me directions to the new hotel, he wrote the address on a piece of paper that included my guest details, including rewards status titled "Rewarding Welcome".   It specified my platinum elite status (but not lifetime), my points balance, nights to renew platinum, and the date I joined.  I did not remember that I had joined Marriott Rewards in June 2002.  The paper also showed my room/stay detail.  One thing I noticed was the rate shown was for the first night ($144), but did not show that the rate went down for the second night ($127).  I guess that explains why my final bill showed $144, but they did make the adjustment when I complained.

Whilst it must have felt awful at the time, for 90k and $100, I would, with the benefit of hindsight, be quite happy with a walk from SHS to Hyatt. So has the hotel stumped up the 90,000 points and $100 yet?

brightlybob Nope, they haven't come through with the guaranteed compensation yet.  I had an email from the asst. general manager this morning replying to my review of the hotel.  She was apologetic and offered 5,000 pts.  I told her I was waiting for the guaranteed compensation.  I hope it comes through soon.

razorbackfan, yup and I say that because that's exactly how I'd feel! 

I'm guessing you got sent to a Hyatt because they may have been the cheaper option of the higher-end properties?  I do love Hyatt, but their footprint is tiny (and I want it to stay that way actually).  I love Marriott too, but more and more their treatment of us has been indifferent? 

Yup, used correctly, and for good reason, TripAdvisor and similar sites are a great tool.  Especially when the reviews for the property's actual page are biased in that way.

That's interesting how all of that data is on there!  WOW, I had no idea.  And they still managed to screw up your rate?  That's just even worst!!

JGentry Platinum

I look forward to hearing back on your situation. Thanks for sharing.

I'M really pleased to hear the hotel finally made good, well done razorbackfan

droma Platinum

Any updates on this?

Oh, yes.  See BREAKING NEWS, 8 posts above.

The FINAL CHAPTER...It took a while and several emails; however, I received the $100 check today which completed the guarantee.  Apparently, the first check they sent was lost in the mail .  I am thankful the hotel honored the guarantee.

boomer Platinum

I have never been walked but was behind someone who was (I guess my PP status helped with something!)  The walk was from the CY to the RI next door so I would not have minded being walked and collected the guarantee!  One question I have though on being walked is, in addition to the compensation, is your room free or are you charged the original room rate?

They paid for our night at the Hyatt Regency which was about 3 blocks away. It was a very nice hotel.  They also covered the parking fee, but not our breakfast.  The $100 more than covered breakfast.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...