33 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2016 11:16 AM by tommo781 RSS

How Safe Are We at Marriott (and other hotels)

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Erin Andrews’s $75 million stalking lawsuit goes to court Monday - The Washington Post

The Erin Andrews lawsuit against a Nashville Marriott for allowing a man to have inappropriate access to her in that hotel.

How well do most hotels (Marriott and others) protect our privacy when we stay there?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Nashville, Tennessee, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Nashville Marriott at Vanderbilt University
  • Re: How Safe Are We at Marriott (and other hotels)
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

When IAHFLYR rolls into town the hotel protects my privacy by shutting down as they don't want to explain to every guest who this clown is and why he is sitting in the lobby holding a "INSIDERS WANT OUR HOTEL REVIEWS BACK"

I have no clue how the hotels protect the privacy of the average person or if they even do without a special request being made. 

We've stayed at the Seattle Waterfront Marriott a few different times when they've had a visiting professional sport team in town playing the Mariner's or when the Supersonic's still in town.  With a group of that size they would either block off a floor with security people at the elevator or block of a wing of a floor in the same fashion. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hotels should not make any guest's room number available to anybody.  A friend of mine was being stalked by an old girlfriend who found out he was coming to DC on business.  She went to his hotel (he always stayed in the same place), where he had booked a single and told the front desk that she was Mrs. R.  They gave her a key and my friend arrived to be told that his wife had checked in ahead of him.  He explained that his wife was not in DC but he had to eject her from the room.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Yikes!  And I inferred that you meant "shouldn't" instead of should in the first sentence. 

I'm sure he did that just to keep us on our toes!!!

No hotel should ever give anyone a guests room number period.  In fact I do not even like to tell a Bartender or anyone unless there is NO ONE around.

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

The bartender one is quite right.  A group of us were in a hotel for a conference.  The bar tender repeated one of the delegates room number out loud.  He was a rubbish barman and never bothered to get proof such as a key card.  The delegate had a massive drink bill that was not hers charged to her room by someone in the bar who overheard it.  The hotel cancelled the bar bill, but the scary thing was that a lot of people knew this persons room number.  She was a young single lady.  Not good.  BTW it was not a Marriott.

An even better reason to keep your room number close to the vest Tommo781.  I loved the phrase "rubbish barman"!!

Which just goes to show we are 2 nations divided by a common language IAHFLYR  brightlybob understands the phrase totally I am sure.  It is a common word to use instead of poor over here.  Rubbish service in a restaurant, rubbish WIFI speed, etc etc.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Just today I met a client and having considered the judgement advised my client it was a "rubbish decision". My eldest is a rubbish driver and tonight we put out the rubbish bins.

Not garbage. Not ever garbage!

And never, ever trash either!

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Well, I gotta say, "po' white rubbish" just doesn't have quite the right ring to it.

foxglove I was just going to post the same thing, sure glad I read the thread prior to doing that as I'd be in tossed in the trash can!!   This must be something from the south as we are the only ones that have this issue I'm thinkin'!

vertol46 Platinum

Does anyone ever say "rubbish barrister!"? Not to anyone we know, of course.

peymanagement Platinum

Rubbish!

I think that this is where we went off-topic.  How does safety on hotels relate to rubbish and trash?

Quite simple.  I explained how a rubbish barman (rubbish being a normal way of saying someone/something is bad here in the UK) loudly gave away the room number of a single lady to anyone who happened to be in hearing distance.  The conversation deteriorated from there.  But it originated from something totally on topic.

Yikes is right.  I've corrected that error.  Thanks Sledchick

peymanagement Platinum

If there is anything good about this type of thing is that incidents of crime like this cause change in law, policy, process and procedure to prevent recurrence.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Ditto what IAHFLYR and peymanagement wrote.  Being the savvy travelers that we are, I believe none of us take for granted that a property is on the lookout for our personal safety in more than their customary ways.  I'm always looking over my shoulder and paying attention to my surroundings, whether traveling or in my own town -- it's just my nature.  But I have to say I've never had the thought that someone would be filming through a peephole.  There wouldn't be much to see in my room!  I'm sure this case will be followed closely.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

a lot of full service Marriott's require a authorized key to get on concierge floors which does add to the security

Yes it does, but would you agree that we are seeing fewer and fewer of those hotels in recent years and they are focusing more on having the CL door shut so you must use your key to enter?

Obviously my experience of Marriott is limited to very few hotels compared to you travelling Insiders in the US.  But I have found here in the UK that CL access (or Executive Lounge as it is called here) is by means of your room key card.  If your room key card doesn't have the necessary code in it, you won't get in.  There is also a bell, so if someone can't get in they can ring and the hostess will come and check for them.  After all, we have all had key cards malfunction.

I think this is a good system.  Yes, it can be abused, but in general it keeps the lounges for those who are entitled to be there.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

good question that I don't know the answer. I will pay more attention this year as to how many still require keys to access the floor. The only Hotels that I have seen lately that require keys to access any floor is in las vegas

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

In  many of the properties where I stay regularly you need your key to operate the lift and you can only select your floor and the ground floor.(If you have lounge access you can also access that floor.)

In the Andrews case, my understanding is that he used a house phone and asked the operator to connect him to her room and the room number appeared on the phone display. Then he booked the room next to her. That should be fairly simple to avoid with settings on your phone system.

vertol46 Platinum

I agree about needing a key to operate the elevators. I wish more hotels were that way.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

phctourist, I used to work in a high rise office building across the street from an Embassy Suites.  When I came in early and it was still dark out, I could see into many hotel rooms.  You would not believe the amount of people who just parade around naked in hotel rooms without pulling the curtains.  But of course we are talking about HHonors people here....

But seriously, hotels could and should do more to protect guests' privacy.  I work with high profile people sometimes, and sadly enough they can be targets for all sort of nonsense including kidnapping, extortion, and what happened to Erin Andrews.  The best security I've ever seen was at the Venetian in Las Vegas.  We were in the Venezia Tower, and there was no floor access without a key card, and there were security guards posted near the elevators on every level verifying your key card.  It was appropriate for a city like Las Vegas, and the guards were professional and not intrusive.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I don't like when they keep asking for my room number at restaurants and such.  I have had charges to my room that are not mine.  Marriott had not done anything about this.  Some hotels make your room key into a credit card and it is used when you make room charges.  No room number needed.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

californian, I've had mystery room charges as well.  Once I got charged for someone else's laundry at the World Center and once for someone else's gift shop purchases at the Mayflower.  Several times I've been charged at various properties for parking when, in fact, I did not have a car.  I got al these charges reversed but it was a bit of a hassle to do so.  You'd think the hotels would be a little more careful as they are the ones who lose out over disputed charges.

jugram_haschwalth Gold 1 Reviews

I get a bill under my door at any Marriott I stay in the day of check-out so I can handle any "mystery charges", before I check-out. I don't think they do it on purpose, humans makes mistakes. I was once charged $32 for valet parking. Problem is I don't own a car. Just shows how easy mistakes can be made.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Hey, phctourist, are you following this thread? Re: Sad Day for Marriott: Does Reputation Matter More Than Winning/Money?

Sorry, but I hadn't seen your thread earlier....

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...