38 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2016 5:53 PM by zunilily46 RSS

What Marriott Is Closest to Your Home That You've Stayed?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

While looking at upcoming performers this summer at The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion Official Website :: Homepage the amphitheater that is close to our house, I thought what a great Insider question out of this.

What Marriott closest to your home that you've stayed in for any reason?  How far from your home and for what reason did you stay there?

We have stayed at The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel, Woodlands Waterway Hotel on a few occasions after concerts at The Pavilion and it is the closest Marriott property to our house with other Marriott properties close by.  Even though we live a mere 1.6 miles from the hotel and could walk home it gives us a nice little getaway and a chance to enjoy the restaurants and bars along  Market Street - The Woodlands and the woodlands waterway - Yahoo Image Search Results after a concert as well as a nice weekend Brunch at any of the popular spots close by.

Give us the scoop Insiders.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
The Woodlands, Texas, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel & Convention Center
Livonia, Michigan, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Detroit Marriott Livonia
  • Re: What Marriott Is Closest to Your Home That You've Stayed?
    hassmh Gold

This past summer we stayed 4 nights at a nearby Courtyard, the closest Marriott property to us, about 8 miles away, as work was being done on the house we bought.Closed on the house on Thursday, painters went to work same day, finishing upstairs first so carpets could be installed on Friday allowing to air out before move in, painters finished Sunday so movers could move us in Monday! Boy, what a project getting that all organized! At least Courtyard was nice, had a big enough suite with Queen/Queen + Sofa bed that we had room to stretch out. Probably would have been smarter to go the extra 5 miles to Residence Inn but with the many trips back and forth wanted the closest property to the house.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

We probably should have done the Marriott thing when our downstairs and kitchen was being remodeled, but we didn't and slept upstairs...that was not a good decision as they paint fumes almost killed us.

hassmh Gold

With 2 young children and pregnant wife, no chances were being taken when the whole house interior was being painted and new carpets installed in the bedrooms. Still took several days for carpet odor to completely dissipate, but fortunately the weather was nice and we could leave windows open with box fans blowing out to get excellent circulation for those first few days to get the worst of it out.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Marriott Tysons corner is our closest.  It's just under 4 miles away.  We have stayed there a couple of times and had out of town visitors stay there, multiple times.  We also had the rehearsal dinner, before our son's wedding there.  It's a nice hotel and bargain prices are sometimes available.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

The closest to home for me would be about four miles. I think I needed one more night to reach a MegaBonus and found a cheap AAA rate at the nearby TPS or RI (they are side by side and I can't remember which one ). Seems to me the rate was something like $65 or $69. Seemed like a good deal to be able to collect 25k points.

curiousone Platinum

We live in a high rise condo and one summer the air conditioning for the entire building failed. We stayed at the Fairfield Inn that is right across the street from our condo for 2 nights while the AC was being repaired. The Renaissance Downtown Phoenix (CAT4) is about 2 miles down the light rail and we will take the light rail down on a week day afternoon and spend the night to use my two annual CC certificates. We have all the downtown restaurants to select from and because it is a week night the CL is open. The next morning we take the light rail home and go to work. For special occasions we drive 20 miles to the JW Marriott Desert Ridge (CAT8). It takes a lot of points for a Cat 8 facility, but JWDR is worth it.

Now why on earth would you have just not opened up the windows and enjoyed the nice summer temperatures in PHX curiousone?

It is nice to just take a night or two once in a while and splurge either with cash money or points and get out, particularly when not traveling as much.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Last year we stayed one night in a Courtyard that is 14 miles from us; it's the closest Marriott property to our home.  My son played on two hockey teams, and the out-of-state select team he was on played a tournament in our neck of the woods for once.  Since almost the entire team got rooms there (my recommendation of course!) we took a night and bonded with the other kids and adults.  Had a great time eating pizza and hanging out at the indoor pool.  The best part was I had won a one-night gift certificate to the property at a golf tournament I played in, so I used that and it was so much sweeter.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

To the East, the exquisite Renaissance Mayflower in DC!

To the West, the Westfields Marriott resort!

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

We stayed at an unnamed SHS near my house once because I had a Cat 4 certificate that was expiring.  It was not good, but there was an indoor pool that the kids enjoyed.  I was tempted to just let them swim, then go home and sleep there.

hassmh Gold

I've thought about doing that at nearby FFI when they've had cheap rates, just let the kids use the pool after check in, go sleep at home, and go back for free breakfast in the morning! Have not done it yet, but if a MegaBonus situation such as bejacob mentioned above came up needing just one additional night/stay, it would definitely be worth it!

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I don't know if I want to share this, as it might seem a little lame, but one 4th of July, maybe 5 years ago, it was well over 100 degrees (very typical, where we live), and we were spending the holiday at home.  With the high temps, we had no interest in sitting in a stadium in that temperature just to watch a fireworks show.  So we bbq'ed a bunch of meat, made some side dishes, and headed to our local SHS (we have no f/s properties here).  Our request for the highest floor, facing the stadium, was happily accommodated.  We then had a great afternoon swimming and recreating in the large pool (which we pretty much had all to ourselves) with the adult kids, and then enjoyed our picnic bbq, poolside.  Later, we watched the fireworks show from our air conditioned, top floor room.  We went to bed after a relaxing day, got up the next morning, had complimentary breakfast, and headed off to work, after a fun holiday.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Sounds like a great time pluto77!  I'd do the same if I were in your shoes

IAHFLYR, my closest to home stay was at the Courtyard Waikiki, which is 5.4 miles away, to just "play tourist."  Next closest was the Waikiki Beach Marriott at 7 miles away for the same reason, followed by the JW Marriott Ihilani at 22.5 miles away for staycation and for wedding! 

pluto77, hey why not share that as it might provide an idea for others.  Why not cook up your favorites and take them with you when the hotel has a kitchen or small fridge and a way to heat them up if you need.  The only issue I see is that if hotels start noticing lots of folks hauling in coolers and stuff this might come back to cost you in the way of announcing something......deduction of Reward points, but I say give you bonus points!!

The nice thing about the SHS is that the rooms have microwaves and mini fridges.  The only thing that would have made it truly perfect is if they had grills.

Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

That doesn't sound lame, that sounds awesome!

j&c Platinum

We love the Livonia Marriott for our local "stay-cations" - their pool, Sweet Lorraine's, Laurel Park Mall and Phoenix Theater all under one roof. With excellent service - always! C

Location Brand Hotel
    Livonia, Michigan, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Detroit Marriott Livonia
    razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews

Last summer, we arrived home at 9 pm from a 3-week vacation and found that our AC had gone out.   It was over 90 degrees in the house.  I got online and found that the only Marriott property that had a room available was a Residence Inn about 6 miles from our house.  There are only 5 in the area.  Even though the rate was over $150, I made the reservation right away.  We were treated warmly (couldn't resist) when we arrived and were upgraded to a 1-BR suite.  The room was very comfortable and breakfast was excellent.  We haven't needed to return, but would be happy to stay there again.  Hopefully, if there is a next time, it will be on the week-end when the rates are lower.

razorbackfan, I wish I would've thought to do that a couple of years ago when our a/c went out and we couldn't get the needed part until after the weekend.  My husband was out of town.  Instead of going to the local Marriott, I chose to do some shopping to get out of the house during the worst part of one day.  I ended up at a furniture store.  A hotel would've been muuuch cheaper. .

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Not the closest to where we live, but when my wife was going to have surgery we stayed at a Courtyard that was close to the hospital so we wouldn't have to get up so early next morning (it would have been a 20 mile drive).

superchief1 Platinum

When we lived in Mentor,OH several years ago we had an ice storm that knocked out power in our area. I made a reservation at a local Fairfield Inn that still had power in case our power didn't go back on. This was in the good old days when you could cancel by 6 pm. Our power wasn't restored so we stayed there for the next two nights. All hotels were sold out in the area, so we were fortunate to have had the reservation. I also used points (cat 1), so it was a great bargain.

When Bogo's were available several years ago, we frequently used local Marriott properties for staycations. Unfortunately, these are no longer offered so the FS hotels often are vacant on weekends.

superchief1, Mentor....no way.  I lived in Gates Mills when I was a tyke and I remember Mentor on The Lake!!

superchief1 Platinum

You probably recall the wonderful 'winters' in the snow belt that sometimes lasted until May. I really liked the area, but not the long winters. I still recall wearing a winter coat for our July 4 company party one year. 

2puravida Platinum

Like Superchief1, we also checked into the Fairfield Inn in the midst of a storm that knocked out power. It was in the high 90's with tornadoes and the Marriott had generator power. We got the last room open and also stayed a couple of days, until the mess in our town was dealt with.

jehoey Platinum

The next town over, because we lost power in a snow storm, so we moved in the Marriott 7 miles away. The kids loved the indoor pool and the cafe.

eddiec Gold

I Have recently been taking advantage of the low rates at a MVC (Fort Lauderdale Beach) Although it doesn't have CL, I find it extremely enjoyable in front of the beach. The beach is 20-30 yards away and the view is spectacular  Anyone needing inside info or insight, I will be happy to offer my services. It's my City    I know where everything is.    

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

It's been a few years, but we've enjoyed the pool and service of our local FS Marriott during crushing heat waves!!

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

The Times Square Ren.... 7.5 miles from my home in Queens.   Free night courtesy of Marriott who invited me to their Fantasy Football event.   Great event with free food and open bar.  And some football  players I didn't know since I am not a fan. 

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Mystic Marriott & Spa in Connecticut.  Nice hotel and an OK Steak House restaurant at the hotel.  My wife and I have gone a couple of times to take advantage of the spa.  I have been upgraded at each of my stays....

lufcgirl Platinum

The nearest  Marriott to us is Shelbourne in Dublin and Powerscourt in wicklow both approx 1.5-2 hrs away.

No CL in either but love both. Stay in Shelbourne on points as rates are high, but great as in Dublin city centre and Powerscourt is in the country so a lot more remote. Saw an article in local paper Marriott opening a new hotel in Belfast which is only 25 mins away from us, hearing it may be an AC brand,so probably no CL or Pool which is essential for our eight year old daughter. Our home from home Marriott is in Leeds uk as followers of Leeds united football team and trips to matches, having been staying there about 20 years, approx 30 minute flight. Staff there are fabulous, great CL lounge and pool.

nationwide Platinum

IAHFLYR I just ran across this question!  How funny!  I have stayed in the same hotel for the very same reasons!  Concerts at Cynthia Mitchell Woods!  We also enjoy sitting out behind the hotel for cocktails and cigars around the fire pits.  Sara, Robert and team always take great care of us there!  And, serendipitously, we met our closest friends in The Woodlands while enjoying a random evening behind the waterway.  What a great hotel!

jm1991 Gold 3 Reviews

The San jose marriott in downtown. a little under 5 miles from where i live. Usually stay there for mini getaways or special occasion where i dont have to drive or take a taxi to restaurants, clubs or bars. Everything is within walking distance, they got great rooms, nice pool and good breakfast.

zunilily46 Platinum

About a two minute walk and I walk slowly....The Downtown Decatur GA Courtyard and it is right next door to our condo!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...