7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2016 1:09 PM by iahflyr RSS

Modifying Your Reservation

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A recent Marriott reservation I had for a three night stay was showing a total cost of $1649.99.  The day before I was to leave I was writing down reservations numbers for the car rental and hotel on my printed airline itinerary which I do just in case. For some reason I decided to check the room rates again and to my surprise the price for the three nights had dropped down to a total of $1459.99.  I liked that savings, but the initial reservation needed have be cancelled before midnight the day before travel which was some 10 hours earlier.  I thought of calling reservations and requesting the change, but instead decided to take a chance and try something new.

I went into my Rewards account and viewed the reservation then selected "View/Modify".  Next I selected "Edit" under the Room/s tab.  That brought up the available rooms and rates that were available for the stay and I selected the room type I already had booked and bingo......there it was for the lower rate.  I clicked on "Submit" and I had my same reservation number with the lower rate booked, and no cancellation issue to have to ponder.

Goes to show you can teach an ole geezer new tricks!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Modifying Your Reservation
    Sledchick Platinum 9 Reviews

Way to go!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

WOW, what an awesome post to share, I see this come up every so often myself where the rate changes (lower rate) after I make a booking. In fact just my last stay I saw the same thing but phoned the reservation line and they did the change for me.

I noticed something else too, which is worrisome. Your logged, you check back and it shows a lower rate than the one when you made your reservation, then while your logged in you check your "up-coming reservations" to to confirm your rate, THEN you go back to the Hotel site and the rate magically increased in cost to match your reservation rate. I did this several times just to make sure it wasn't a one-time glitch. Logged out then lodged in, did the above procedure and the same effect. Its like the program  shows the lower rate until you verify your booked rate...like I said, worrisome.

But thanx again IAHFLYR for your tip.

JD

You bring up a wonderful point JD, I'm going to print this in the future before I log out and make sure I get it for that rate.  Thanks

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I have been doing that for a while but never on the last day. I always go into new reservations and look at the same dates and if prices are lower I rebook and cancel the old one. Once I did it four times as the date got closer and the prices seem to be dropping

Yeah, I was concerned though about the cancellation since it was the day before arriving thus when I figured out the modification I was thrilled.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great insight here IAHFLYR!  Its great that you went in and double checked.  This is something I don't remember to do, but should. 

I usually do check reservations for hotels and rental cars usually a week ahead not the day before, but it worked.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...