8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2016 8:10 PM by droma RSS

Alternate Credit Cards for MR Points (US)

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

It's safe to say that most of us US Insiders have the Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature and/or Ritz Carlton Rewards Visa Signature cards, which earn 5x points at Marriotts, 2x for dining & certain travel points, etc.  I do have the MR Premier Visa and do use it at Marriott properties but since I've been diversifying my point holdings, I've also picked up the Chase Sapphire Preferred.  I'm sure most of you know this card earns 2x points on dining and travel (including taxis and parking), while also providing primary collision coverage on rental cars, and is regarded as one of the best credit cards out there thanks to the ability to transfer points 1:1 to programs like United MileagePlus, Hyatt Gold Passport, and of course Marriott Rewards.  I do also use the Chase Freedom card to scoop up 5x points per $ on certain categories each quarter, but word has it Chase will begin offering a new version of the Freedom card as well.

The new Freedom Card is called the Freedom Unlimited, which will do away with the quarterly rotating category bonuses, and will instead offer 1.5x points for every $1 spent.  So paired with a Chase Sapphire Preferred, that's 1.5 Marriott Reward points on non-bonus categories, and 2x MR points on dining & travel.  I guess the big question now, though is if Chase would let one hold the Sapphire Preferred, the Freedom, and the Freedom Unlimited card at the same time??

Details Of New Chase Freedom Unlimited Card

• Re: Alternate Credit Cards for MR Points (US)
    homoviator Platinum

For me, I'm wondering, kharada46, do the transfer points go toward lifetime status?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

My guess is transfer points do not count toward lifetime status. Here is a bit of why I think transferred points do not count taken from Rewards Lifetime Status section underneath the Membership Benefits tab:

How it works

Lifetime status is based on the total number of nights and points you earn throughout your time as a Marriott Rewards member. Once you reach Lifetime status, it lasts forever. This means you will always be an Elite member with Silver, Gold, or Platinum benefits. You can view your progress toward lifetime status

Notice it mentions "EARN".

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

That's an excellent question homoviatorIAHFLYR could be right, but that's also a bit of a strange constraint seeing that (it seems anyway) that points earned not only via the credit card, but also from other sources such as ShopMyWayMall count towards lifetime status.  While I haven't kept a close eye on how that accrues, I believe all my "bonus" points have counted towards lifetime.  Perhaps NathalieF can help us out with this one?

Of course, you could go the other route for now and get a Amx Everyday Preferred card and earn 3x points on groceries, 2x points on gas, 1x points on everything else, plus a 50% bonus when you make at least 30 transactions within a billing cycle.  They transfer 1:1 to SPG, which will likely transfer 1:1, 1:2, or (highly doubt it) 1:3 to Marriott Rewards points once the merger is complete. 

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

Interesting.  If you buy points, do they count towards lifetime?  Technically, they're not earned, but bought.

That's a great questions too muppetwrangler!  Hopefully someone from the Marriott team will chime in and give us the official word on all our questions!

dream606 Gold

Does anyone know the answer to this question?  If I buy points, will it count towards lifetime status?

droma Platinum

Under the current program, yes, all purchased points and ultimate reward point transfers count towards lifetime status.

JGentry Platinum

This topic is great! I am currently testing this now with my Marriott Visa and my rewards account. I will be in the Residence Inn for the rest of 2016 except for my vacation. I started writing information down in my blog here.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...