14 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2016 7:56 PM by amwny RSS

MileagePlus 25% bonus on redemptions - good idea?

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I got an email from United today that says:

With RewardsPlus, you always save 20% when converting Marriott Rewards® points into MileagePlus miles, and enjoy 10% more miles with RewardsPlus Travel Packages. And now is the perfect time to use your Marriott Rewards points to plan your Spring and Summer getaways. For a limited time, enjoy a 25% bonus when you convert your Marriott Rewards points into miles - including RewardsPlus travel packages - up to 25,000 miles. Hurry this offer ends March 31, 2016 so register today.

Limited time offer - earn 25% more miles when converting Marriott Rewards points to miles

With RewardsPlus, you always save 20% when converting Marriott Rewards® points into MileagePlus miles, and enjoy 10% more miles with RewardsPlus Travel Packages. And now is the perfect time to use your Marriott Rewards points to plan your Spring and Summer getaways. For a limited time, enjoy a 25% bonus when you convert your Marriott Rewards points into miles - including RewardsPlus travel packages - up to 25,000 miles. Hurry this offer ends March 31, 2016 so register today.

Is this a good deal?  We don't need the 5 or 7 night hotel packages so much as we need airline miles for upgrades on planned Asia-Pacific flights, unless we can use the hotel points in June 2017.  If I redeem for a vacation package in March, does my travel date need to be within a year?

We really need airline miles more than hotel points so I'm not worried about reducing the amount or MR points I've got stored up (I've been hoarding them for years and rarely burn any), but I don't want to do a redemption that is not a good value.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: MileagePlus 25% bonus on redemptions - good idea?
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

If you were planning to convert Marriott Points into United Miles anyway then yes now would probably be the better time to do so to get the additional bonus.  With the Travel packages you get a 5 or 7 night certificate added to your account for future use.  By default the certificate expires one year later but if you call Marriott Rewards prior to the expiration you can get an additional one year extension.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

homoviator Platinum

vaboywnder, quick question then, do the airline points have to be with United or can you choose other airlines?

I had never thought of cashing in points this way, but a lot seem to feel like this is the way to maximize points.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

homoviator,

There are lots more airline options with the travel packages.  However because of Marriott's Rewards Plus partnership with United you earn extra miles if you redeem points for the United Travel Packages.   In January 2015 I redeemed points for a Southwest Airlines Travel Package.  I was able to get enough Southwest miles from the package to qualify for one of their Companion Passes which is valid till the end of this year (2016).  I'm using my 7-night hotel certificate for an upcoming stay at the Sydney Marriott.  Travel Packages are definitely the best use of points!

Here is a link the Marriott 7-Night Travel Packages:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I also think the travel packages are the best deal.  United is a better one since they have the agreement with Marriott.  It is a matter if you want United miles.  I have been doing the reverse and converting United miles into Marriott points and will eventually get a travel package getting American miles.

amwny Platinum

What is the status  of those  who have received the e-mail from  United?  I just hit MRP  Platinum  this year so my  UA Silver Elite just took effect  on 2/28.

In  any  case, I did not receive  that  e-mail.  Since a travel package  is  on the agenda for  this year,  I'd appreciate any guidance  on  what I  can do to get that e-mail.

Thanks

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I did not get any e-mail, this year, but I just received my United Silver Elite credentials via snail mail!

If you need help, I'd call the elite support line at Marriott!

amwny Platinum

I signed up and ordered a UA travel package in a timely fashion. However, the extra 25,000 miles have never showed up.

I've waited long enough to know that I need  to file a complaint. Is a complaint best directed to United Mileage Plus or to Marriott Rewards?

Thanks

Art

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Hi Art,

Well since I'm not eligible for the UA/Marriott deal my only guess would be to contact UA and Marriott both and see who will help. 

amwny, my 25,000 showed up right away.  When I ordered the package, I asked MR what to do if the bonus never showed up, and they said to contact MileagePlus directly as United was responsible for that portion of the package.  Good luck!

amwny Platinum

Thanks.  That''s the hint I was looking for. I sent off a message to MileagePlus

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

clebert,

It used to be very difficult to use miles to upgrade on Trans Atlantic and Pacific flights I'm guessing are even more difficult.  You'd request the upgrade, get on the wait list and not get confirmation of the upgrade processing or not until 72 hours before departure.  And, even after using miles for the upgrade there was also an upgrade fee to pay.

I tried to use miles to upgrade right after the CO/UA merger took place and it was something like 25,000 miles each way from IAH-HNL plus $400 each way plus the cost of the economy ticket which as probably around $700 per person.  So adding up all this my upgrade would have cost us a total of around $3,000 plus 50,000 miles each.  We ended up buying the First Class/Business First tickets for $1800/person AND got 150% bonus miles due to the fare class. 

You might want to call UA to verify what the upgrade process is now days for your upcoming trip before redeeming any Reward points as I'd be willing to bet you cannot transfer them back if you don't get the upgrades.

Thanks, IAHFLYR.  UA seems to have a very, very small number of seats where the upgrade is confirmed at booking.  Otherwise it is that 72 hour process which would drive Spouse crazy.  AA's process seems to require a call to AA to discuss.  Maybe I will just book Spouse in first class and the rest of us in economy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...