1 2 3 10 Previous Next 135 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2017 11:42 AM by iahflyr RSS

It Is Time To Start A Grilling Thread

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Okay folks, it is that time of year when we all need to get outside and enjoy some awesome early Spring weather.  Along with being outside there are some of Insiders who love to grill all type of food, kids like jerrycoin our very own RI Grill Master who taught me to use the RI grills when staying at one of them to foxglove the new proud owner of a Weber Grill a gift from Mrs. foxglove for his last birthday and I know I'm leaving some others out, so sorry. 

So come out and tell us some of your grilling loves as well as share some pictures.  Nothing better than some grilled food.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 1. Re: It Is Time To Start A Grilling Thread
    hassmh Gold

Love grilling! I don't have time for charcoal anymore, with three young ones and only one wife who also works full-time to help wrangle the kids. So with time very limited I've been stuck with gas for several years now. It doesn't quite do the food the way a good, well-tended charcoal grill would do, but it's much quicker and better than no grilling at all! I love to keep the family supplied with grilled chicken, burgers, and steaks, and the occasional pork chop or ribs. Steaks are my specialty, but they are a fairly rare (pun intended) treat due to price, but I'm pretty good with all meats on the grill. Don't even ask about veggies; I'm a carnivore and no plant will touch my grill!

It's nice in the warmer months to sit out by the grill with a cigar and a drink, have some me-time while listening to the meat sizzle. I sometimes reminisce about my younger single days when that would be a long experience, starting and tending the charcoal in the Weber kettle, waiting for it to settle in just right, then putting the steak on and ensuring it was turned perfectly to a rarish medium-rare. Half a bottle of wine for the grilling, half a bottle for the eating, worked out perfectly. Now with the third little one who just arrived a few months ago, the sitting by the grill hasn't happened much, and the bottle of wine spans a couple meals usually. Hopefully in a few years when the kids are older and do more themselves I can switch back to charcoal and have the time to enjoy that whole process again.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• 2. Re: It Is Time To Start A Grilling Thread
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

MY son in law uses the green egg grill and  it makes wonderful food

• 3. Re: It Is Time To Start A Grilling Thread

I have a Weber natural gas grill, an Oklahoma Joe's Smoker and purchased a small Kingsford charcoal grill last spring. Each has it's own reason to be in the back yard and I've probably used the natural gas grill for over 1/2 our grilled meals in the last eight months or so.  Before the little Kingsford showed up on site the gas grill was used for 100% of our grilled food. 

A great way to cut down the time to get a wonderful fire with charcoal is to use the Grill Skills - Using a Chimney Starter | Weber.com and you'll be grilling those rare steaks and other foods in no time!!

So grab ya a bottle of your favorite wine and let's grill us some food.

OH just thought of an awesome idea for the Insiders Meetup Hotel Announcement - JW Houston... | Marriott Rewards® Insiders let's have a few stay at the RI and jerrycoin and myself will grill up some stuff!!!!

• 4. Re: It Is Time To Start A Grilling Thread

This was dinner tonight before my Wife started watching the Oscars.

Marinated Country Style Ribs......Apple Cider Vinegar, Water, Cayenne Pepper, White Pepper, Powdered Garlic, EVOO, Brown Sugar and let is sit for a few hours in a large plastic bag flipping it a few times.  Seared and slow cooked over indirect heat on the grill for almost 3 hours and basted with my favorite BBQ Sauce.

Corn grilled in the husks for about 75 minutes and dropped a bit of Margarine on the kernels...... glass of wine and off we went!

20160228_183433.jpeg

• 5. Re: It Is Time To Start A Grilling Thread
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

IAHFLYR,

Got my Weber going!  Just like the "Weber Grill", in Chicago!IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_1729.jpg

BTW!  Just like the Frankie Valli, "Four Seasons," song goes,  "See you in September"!

• 6. Re: It Is Time To Start A Grilling Thread

Love the Weber Grill place in Chicago, great aroma, food and drinks just to start.

P1010924.JPGP1010923.JPG

And you're darn right, we will see a great gang in September!

• 7. Re: It Is Time To Start A Grilling Thread
    peymanagement Platinum

Highest temperature on record in Toronto yesterday. Salmon steaks and asparagus on the barbi.

Back to normal today, winter snow advisory. 

• 8. Re: It Is Time To Start A Grilling Thread

Attaboy!  Love our Salmon on the grill and when we head to Seattle in March plan on having a nice fish shipped home just for the grill.  Veggies on the grill, a guy right after my heart.

• 9. Re: It Is Time To Start A Grilling Thread
    foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

We've been in this cycle of beautiful, warm(ish) weather mid-week, and then rain or cold or both on the weekends, so I haven't gotten to grill out in a while. Did make some fish tacos yesterday for the race, and they were tasty, but went with the stove-top grill pan, thanks to the new suck-you-through-the-ceiling hood vent. But, hey, that counts, right?

Next week's spring break, so no matter which days of the week are pretty, I'll be ready.

• 10. Re: It Is Time To Start A Grilling Thread

Now that's my kind of NASCAR fan.....the dude brings fish tacos to the dance!!  

I love to put the cast iron pan on the grill and get it toasty then put the fish or chicken or beef in there with some lime juice to give it a bit more flavor, flip it over and poof tacos!!

Speaking of tacos, it is fajita night tonight here.

Loved that race just two cautions and Chad does it again giving 48 just the right mix at the right time.

• 11. Re: It Is Time To Start A Grilling Thread

AMS always allows the cream to rise to the top -- there's rarely a surprise winner who comes out of nowhere at Atlanta. Fantastic race! And Chase got himself a top-ten.

Okay, I'll save everyone the trouble: "Hey, hijacker, we were talkin' 'bout grillin'!"

Sorry (not).

• 12. Re: It Is Time To Start A Grilling Thread

foxglove,

I've forgotten if your new grill is propane or charcoal, if charcoal what do you use to start the fire?

• 13. Re: It Is Time To Start A Grilling Thread

All natural, lump charcoal -- no chemical accelerants in the charcoal. And I use a Weber Rapid-Fire chimney starter, which has coals ready to go in <10 minutes. (Shown lower right.)

DSCF4316.JPG

My old starter didn't have enough ventilation, so I had to drill some new vent holes, and it still wasn't great. The new Weber has excellent ventilation and starts the coals unbelievably quickly. It also has a "helper handle" for pouring the coals into the grill, which really makes it safer and the pour more accurate.

• 14. Re: It Is Time To Start A Grilling Thread

That's a beauty alright.  I used the same Weber Chimney as well for the coals and boy does it get blazing in a hurry as you mention.  Put some old newspaper in the bottom and away you go.

1 2 3 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...