9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2016 4:24 AM by gloabtrotter RSS

Platinum Elite vs Lifetime vs Premier

fuzzbeak Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My question is about how room upgrades actually work.  Does the hotel set aside rooms for platinum members prior to arrival?  Or does the hotel just check whats available at check in? 

Do platinum for life or platinum premier members get consideration for upgrades over platinum elite members? 

And finally, are you less likely to get an upgrade if you are using points to pay for the hotel?

Thanks!

Jim

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Platinum Elite vs Lifetime vs Premier
    nuclearnomad Platinum

My experience has been very random.  I have all three bases covered and I just dont know what to expect from any visit.  My feeling is that it depends on who checks you in, what mood their in, and what rooms are available.  So far in my experience the hotel brand doesn't matter either.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Plat premiers should be at the top of the upgrade list, and are at some hotels. Properties make no distinction between lifetime or ordinary plats as their computer shows them both as plat...

mrjohne Platinum

There is no set Marriott policy on upgrades.  Sometimes you get one and other times you don't.  Just because you're Platinum (I am) you shouldn't expect to be upgraded to a better room.  It doesn't hurt to ask for an upgraded room when you check in.  Sometimes you get a very nice room and others you just get what you pay for.

mrjohne Platinum

There is no set Marriott policy on upgrades.  Sometimes you get one and other times you don't.  Just because you're Platinum (I am) you shouldn't expect to be upgraded to a better room.  It doesn't hurt to ask for an upgraded room when you check in.  Sometimes you get a very nice room and others you just get what you pay for.

mrjohne Platinum

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Actually, there is a policy.  The Marriott Rewards website states "

Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites.  All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club."

Obviously, since upgrades are granted on space-available basis, those who travel at slower times will get more and better upgrades than those travelling at peak times.

I am retired and travel at off peak times so I usually get an upgrade, often to a suite.   It's one of the few ber\nefits of getting old!

mustanggt Platinum

Agree with phctourist.  If your travel dates are flexible, selection of off peak dates will greatly increase your odds of getting a room upgrade.  I have travel flexibility, so I virtually always get upgraded without asking, and it is usually to a suite.  I'm Platinum Premier and Platinum Lifetime. 

gloabtrotter Platinum

Something I like that mrjohne pointed out is that you should not 'expect' an upgrade.  As phctourist points out, upgrades are granted when they are available.  No one is 'entitled' to an upgrade. People need to understand that hotel chains and airlines offer upgrades to their best customers as a perk for being good customers, but on a 'when available' basis.  Those who feel 'entitled' should take note of this, and either not complain when they don't get an upgrade, or pay for a higher level of service or room to be guaranteed of such upgrades.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

For whatever it is worth, I am a party to all three categories mentioned as well as the newly-minted category that is provided concierge services.  We just checked into the MVC at Ford's Colony, Williamsburg, Va. yesterday.  Not at all an off-time, as the resort is fully-booked for the Holiday.  We were greeted by the front desk manager and offered an upgrade from a normal hotel room to a Villa suite!  Full-disclosure, we are staying here on points and were asked to spend an additional 5k per night for the upgrade.  We could not be any happier with the situation and love the room setup!!!

I do agree that off-time stays help increase the odds of an upgrade, as do short stays, but oftentimes it seems to be simply the luck of the draw.  I do think status helps, but unsure of the hireachy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...