15 Replies Latest reply: Feb 29, 2016 3:58 PM by pluto77 RSS

A trip to ... nowhere

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here's my first utterly pointless post of 2016

So, my trip to South America last week didn't work out quite the way I'd expected or hoped.

• Agreed to speak at a conference in South America;
  • Understood that it would be a tight trip to squeeze it into a busy week - basic summary
    • 36-hours round trip;
    • four flights - two each way;
    • flying on American (rather than United/Star Alliance, my preferred carrier);
    • midnight arrivals (there and home) on consecutive days
    • approximately 12 hours in country;
    • potential for a good 6 hours of sleep in the (non-Marriott) hotel...
  • Significant complications obtaining visa for travel - passport with visa collected less than 24 hours before embarkation;
  • Actual trip:
    • travel to DCA (National, as opposed to Dulles/IAD, my preferred airport);
    • board plane to Miami;
    • taxi to tarmac;
    • wait;
    • at this point, I fall asleep ... I wake up to the pilot's announcement;
    • we've been delayed (duh);
    • we've been re-routed around Atlanta, so we need more fuel;
    • we return to the gate;
    • I ask the (polite) flight attendant and gate attendant to confirm my suspicions - that
      • we're going to miss my connection in Miami; and
      • there is no later connecting flight to my destination (or anywhere close); or,
      • in other words, I'm not going to be at the conference the next day.
    • I get off the flight;
    • I return home.

Results

• total miles flown = 0
  • total nights in hotel = 0
  • participation in conference = 0
  • time wasted - lots
  • money wasted (on visa application fees, taxis, etc.) - $200+

Lessons learned from the experience: none that I can think of....

No, wait - here's an IAHFLYR I-told-you-so baggage carry-on success story.

So.... because the trip was so brief... And because there was no time whatsoever for leisure (or photography), I had carried on my luggage.  (See, I can do it if I want to....) Anyway, apparently, if I had checked my bag, they would not have let me leave the flight when we returned to the gate.  Or, in other words - if I had checked my bags, I would have flown to Miami, spent the night there, and returned home the next day - wasting my time and money for no reason whatsoever.  So, three cheers for carry-on luggage if your trip turns out to be a disaster....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washignton, District Of Columbia, USA
Miami, Florida,
  • Re: A trip to ... nowhere
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

ssindc

I'm sure that was pretty frustrating.  You are right though in that type of situation having carry on luggage only is ideal so you are not stuck somewhere you don't want to be.  I think if it was me though I would have made the best of it in Miami and tried to have a good time in the awkward situation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

LOL...see there is a silver lining in carry-on luggage!!!

Sorry to read of your travel or lack of travel which may have been good anyway.  Too bad you missed the speaking engagement, but at least you got to enjoy some sleep!

Good post and keep them coming.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

ssindc, been there done that (or at least a version of it!).  So frustrating.  I have also learned the hard way that checked luggage can be a real problem when things go south with the airline schedules.  My favorite mishap was a Delta maneuver that resulted in a 12 hour delay at Detroit, placement on a US Air plane to Pittsburg (my actual destination was Richmond, VA), then a bus ride to Richmond.  UGH!!!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Ugh..Bet that was a long Bus Ride.  I had a Delta flight once that got diverted from Richmond to Norfolk  because it was too windy to land in Richmond.  The airline then offered a bus ride from Norfolk to Richmond with an undetermined arrival for the bus. So I decided to rent a car instead.  I wish Uber was around back then..it would have been a lot cheaper to get ride to Richmond.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

My worst was getting back from NYC to Phx . Finished meeting early so changed to Westchester to connect to DC then to PHX which would get me in 4 hours early . Now the rest of the story . We boarded in Westchester but there were storms in DC so returned to the gate . Back out again and they said storms were now in the flight path ,  back to the gate , one more time out to tarmac  then they said storms over NY . You didn't have to be genius to know where the  storm was heading . Well now it is 7PM and Westchester closed the  airport. So no car, no hotel , no flight. Luckily being chairman in Avis and platinum in Marriott , I got a car( I assume from some other lost soul - survival of the fittest) , called Marriott Stamford and they were filled but got me a room ( again I am sure someone else's). Then called USAir and booked a flight next morning . Oh well to save 4 hours it cost me 18

jerryl, sometimes that Platinum guarantee comes in handy!  Being stranded overnight is the worst.  Been there, and done that too.  The worst transportation stories I've heard happened during 9/11 - I wasn't traveling that week but had relatives and colleagues who got stranded in various places.

shaunfromcolumbus,ohio Gold

Wow. That trip (or lack of a trip) sounds painful. You received all the headaches of travel without going anywhere. Those situations make all of us to become non-fans of flying. My rule is that I drive it the location is ten hours or less unless the time is too short.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

I have become spoiled. Or old. Nah, I'm definitely going with spoiled.   I now only drive it if it's 4 hours or less, purposeful road trips notwithstanding.

I'd much rather fly as I cannot stand to drive even an hour.  Rude drivers are worse than rude passengers on a plane in my mind.  The person who will fly up behind you when you're doing the speed limit and tailgate you for a mile or so before speeding around you when you are even in the right lane only to have them soon afterwards be the stone in the river...use your cruise control people.  Then you have those who simply want to kill themselves and others by texting or putting on make-up while driving in and out of traffic.

The worst airplane ride is much safer and less annoying than driving if you ask me.

I'm with IAHFLYR.  I have a regular 3-hour drive that I make for work, but I fly instead whenever I can.  Yes, it really takes about the same amount of time, but I get more work done and let someone else worry about getting me there instead of me trying to fight traffic.

I used to have meetings in Ft. Worth which is just about a three hour drive and flew every time rather than drive.  I'd leave my house and drive south to IAH at the same time I would leave if I was driving to Ft. Worth.  Catch the flight (if it was late who cares, it's flying) to DFW get the rental car and drive the last 20 minutes to Ft. Worth.  Much more relaxed and refreshed to create chaos and havoc in the meeting.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

The most stressful part of my day is my commute.  I usually go in early and/or if I'm busy (which is most of the time) will just work late to avoid the traffic.  I'd rather work for free, than drive in that mess.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I always try to work some wiggle room into my flight schedule.  If I have to be somewhere on a certain day I plan to get there a day early.  I know too many people who missed a cruise or other event because they did not allow for these kinds of disasters.  As they  say, **** happens!

Platinum

I agree 100%. I usually fly on a Saturday to take my all day 3 plane trip across country so that I can either have a day of rest on Sunday, or have the time to recover if I get stuck somewhere in the middle. This trip typically takes me over 12 hours total since origin and arrival airport are both small cities. Last trip out, I actually took advantage and surrendered my seat for a $700 voucher and a free night at the ORD Hilton (it's directly connected to the terminal for those not familiar)

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

That's awful ssindc!  But I'm with you, I can travel sans checked bag if I really want to, but normally don't thanks to the photo gear that usually takes up my entire carryon

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...