9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2010 11:17 PM by newhiltonmembr RSS

Brugge, Belgium - Hotels/B&Bs

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

No Marriotts in Brugge.  Does anyone have recommendations for places to stay, please?

Again, I'll be checking on Tripadvisor, Fodors, etc.

Thanks very much!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Brugge, Belgium - Hotels/B&Bs
    bikesdestroy Platinum 1 Reviews

A short drive on the A10 of 35 minutes delivers you to the Marriott in Ghent.  I check-in there in a few days for a seven night stay and would be happy to offer a review if you haven't already stayed there in the past.

Cheers,

Troy

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Hi Troy,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I am booked into the Ghent Marriott for 2 nights after a 3 night stay in Brugge.  I'd like to stay in Brugge after reading so much about how "magical" Brugge is after dark and after the daytrippers have left.

I would love to hear about your stay upon your return!  Please do post a report!!!

Have a wonderful trip!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi there,

Please consider Ghent -- it is very like Bruges, only a short distance away b train or car -- and it has one of my favorite Marriotts in Europe.  The management and service are spectacular, it's in a converted building with a medieval facade, yet is completely modern.  I've stayed there twice and both times wrote to the manager to compliment her on every part of my stay.  The restaurant is also fantastic.

ProfChiara

Hi Professor,

Thanks very much for your reply!

I am going to spend 2 nights at the Ghent Marriott (please see my reply to Troy).  I'll be in Ghent after 3 nights in Brugge.

Does the Ghent property have a Concierge Lounge?  I don't see any mention of one on their website.

Thanks again!

Hi again,

I don't think they  have a concierge lounge but they amply make up for it -- you get free coupons for drinks and appetizers that are practically meals in themselves.  I simply cannot say enough for the staff -- they make you feel like visiting royalty. The views are spectacular and I'm sure you will like it every bit as much as Bruges. 

There are a lot of must-sees in Ghent -- the Adoration of the Lamb masterpiece in the cathedral; a boat tour around the canals; the Gravensteen castle; various medieval convents and beguinages that date back as far as the twelfth century; and the markets.

Be sure to eat at the House of Eliott.  On my second trip there, I went back to have lunch there (many months after the first time!) and they remembered me.  The food is spectacular as is the ambience of fin-de-siècle costumes and you will likely have a beautiful view of the canals.

It's been many years since I've been to Bruges, but you will love that as well.

Cheers, ProfChiara

PS - I forgot to mention that breakfast is free every morning in the restaurant.

Hi Professor,

Wow!  I can't thank you enough for all of your helpful information!

I do have a number of your suggestions on my list and have added the rest.  Is the Gravensteen Castle the same as the Castle of the Counts, please?

Many thanks and kind regards!

Hi NewHilton,

Yes, the Gravensteen is the castle of the counts and you can see it from the Marriott. Everything is walkable within the old part of Ghent, but if you're arriving by train I'd suggest taking a cab to the hotel.

Enjoy!

ProfChiara

Many thanks, Professor!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...