5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2016 12:28 PM by phctourist RSS

Music lovers unite!

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member
Currently Being Moderated

Oh, how I love music! To me, music is important, as it has so much cultural significance for communities around the world. You can really get to know a place by listening to the music. Therefore, whenever I travel I always try and find the best local venues, groups and events to attend in order to get the local flavor.

One of my favorite cities of all time, and one I love to visit for its music is New Orleans. This city is so vibrant and the music is so good! Of course, a music-lover’s trip to New Orleans is not complete without stopping by Preservation Hall, a New Orleans jazz staple. One lesser-known spot I always visit any time I’m in The Big Easy is a jazz club called The Spotted Cat. It’s right outside the French Quarter, in the Fauborg Marigny neighborhood, and always has great local talent. If you’re heading to New Orleans any time soon, go to The Spotted Cat. You will not be disappointed!

For those thinking of heading to New Orleans, here are a few past Insiders threads that discuss Marriott properties to stay at, things to do and see, where to eat, etc.

Re: New Orleans Marriott hotels

Re: New Orleans JW Marriott

There is also this cool Marriott Rewards Credit Card video on places to go and enjoy the music, food, and sights of New Orleans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a1ovYugI6Y

There is a huge list of other great music cities that I could give shout-outs to, but I wanted to hear from all of you on what your favorite cities to travel to and enjoy music are, and if there are any music venues, groups, or events that you cannot miss. Can’t wait to hear about them!

Not an Insider yet?

Sign in with your Marriott Rewards account to post

or join Marriott Rewards

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
  • Re: Music lovers unite!
    nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

I'm with you, Lindseyh. I just got back from a short trip to New Orleans and just walking through the French Quarter was intoxicating from a musical perspective. You don't even have to stop at a venue - the music just permeates the air! I'm in my 60's so it's great to find one in their 20's who finds music an essential part of life as well!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Yes! You really don't have to go to a venue in order to find amazing music there. It's all over the place!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I'm in my 70s and our trip to NO really was, in no small part, for the music.  We also stopped in Memphis and Clarksdale, Miss. (home of the Mississippi Delta Blues Museum) on that trip.  We called the trip our "blues and barbecue tour.

We even drove across the Talahatchee  River and thought about Billy Joe, though, to be honest, the bridge that we saw was so low, that Billy Joe McCalister would probably just twisted a knee had he jumped off that one!

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Next to traveling for relaxation, traveling for music is my favorite.    As many of you know, I travel to Austin, Texas quite a bit.  With the city being the live music capital of the US, I tend to use that as an excuse to get down there more often.  As a matter of fact, I'll be there for SXSW in the next few weeks.  To date, seeing Stevie Wonder play at Austin City Limits has been my most favorite concert.  Not the typical ACL artist, but definitely an artist I had to see live.  

I have been hearing a lot about the music scene in New Orleans and definitely want to check it out.  Thanks for the tip lindseyh! My bucket list has just gotten longer. 

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

New Orleans is a great music town, especially for blues, Jazz and it's own style of R&B!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...