65 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2016 7:30 AM by iahflyr RSS

What are the most and least liked of your regular Marriotts?

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Inspired by bejacobs homework over the last few years I decided to set a piece myself. I'm not looking for your favourite in the world, exotic though that would be, we have lots of threads like that. Nor your most disliked Marriott ever, again there lots of threads expressing displeasure and "never return" moments.

Here I'm talking about those hotels you find yourself staying in, say at least once a year that make you think either, "oh really, wasn't there anything else?" and those where as soon as you hear you're going near the locality your heart lifts and make the effort to ensure you'll be at THAT particular hotel.

For me, my hohum moment is Cheshunt Marriott. An old property thats quite difficult to get to, it's far from horrible but with no exec lounge, a characterless bar and nothing within walking distance, it's one that I just shrug my shoulders at. I end up there quite a bit because it's frequently the cheapest in the area.

My happy moment is the Leeds Marriott, great exec lounge, bar, leisure facilities and restaurant. Really helpful staff and right in the city centre gives plenty to do. When I see a case coming up in Leeds I personally fix the hotel, to ensure I'll definitely be staying there.

So what's your most and least favoured regular Marriott?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Arlington, Virginia, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel
  • Re: What are the most and least liked of your regular Marriotts?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I don't really have any locations where I stay regularly. My travels take me far and wide across the U.S. and I can count on one hand the properties I have visited more than once. Of course, I like to try different places, so this shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone who knows me.

I get if I had to choose, I'll pick the Columbus Airport Marriott. There are 5 properties near CMH and I've stayed at all of them (except the CY) before an early morning flight. Of these, the FS Marriott is my favorite. Nothing amazing, nothing special, but comfortable and convenient. I'll be there tonight.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

AH, yes of course in America you have the advantage of abundant choice via all the brands. I certainly was amazed by the number of Marriotts when searching Houston

We get that in London, choose between several Marriotts and Autographs plus a Renaissance Edition or JW. Elsewhere I visit in the UK its hobsons choice with only one Marriott, it's either that or none. We have 66 Marriotts across the entire UK but there's 90 Marriotts around the Houston area alone, so with that kind of choice I suppose you can easily avoid any hohums...

tommo781 Silver 8 Reviews

As a fellow Brit brightlybob .....................

It will come as absolutely no surprise to you to hear that my favourite is West India Quay, London.  Closely followed by York, North Yorkshire.  Is it a coincidence that we have been going to both for a long time, and we are always treated like special guests?  I think not.

My least favourite is Waltham Abbey, for the same reasons you have given for Cheshunt.  Funnily enough they are not far apart are they.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I have a few "Happy Moment" spot, but will pick the one I frequent the most on a yearly basis and that being the Residence Inn Fort Myers at I-75 and Gulf Coast Town Center: Fort Myers Extended Stay Hotels.  The location is fabulous with many bars and restaurants in Gulf Coast Town Center that you can walk to in five minutes or less.  The property is very clean and comfortable, they have a large grill that I use regularly to cook dinner (and avoid the famous RI Mix ) and it is very close to the airport.

Since I no longer travel for work there will not be any "hohum moments" as we pick the places we want to stay.  Even while working when I'd get told to pack my bags we always stayed in spots with Marriott properties none of which were "hohum moments".

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Great thread, brightlybob!  It is always neat to read what the active travelers have to say about the different properties!  Especially since you've traveled so much and have been to a wide variety of properties!  A standing favorite of mine has been the Marriott Marquis in Times Square.   It's where my love for travel began.  I'm sure it helped that my father was good friends with the Rooms Manager at the time, I've been lucky enough to stay in all their suites except the Presidential Suite.  However, this was many, many years ago and much has changed since then.  When I'm in the city now and have extra time, I always try to head to the View for a drink.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

My most liked of my regular Marriotts has to the Hartford Farmington Conn. Marriott.  It is a very convenient stopping point on many of our trips to points north in New England.  The service by virtually the entire staff  has always been superb.  On one occasion, we had to stay over an extra night because I caught some sort of GI virus.  At one point, in the afternoon, there was a knock on our door and it was room service with tea and toast for me, unrequested and complementary.

I don't have any least favorite regular Marriott property, because if I'm at all unhappy, I tend not to return.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

brightlybob,

My favorites:

Essex House, NY - a New York classic in an excellent location with great service and fantastic CL

Hotel Minneapolis - fun and fresh with a great CL; upscale clientele

Mayflower, DC - the grand dame of DC with loads of historical character and charm - wonderful CL

JW Chicago - impeccable and possibly my favorite Marriott property systemwide - excellent CL

Marriott Clearwater-St. Pete, FL - great service, good CL, fun restaurant, nice pool and reasonably priced

Ones I try to avoid but sometimes have to use:

Minneapolis City Center Marriott  - good location but crowded with rowdy guests and not good for business travel

Marriott Lake Mary, FL - bad service but convenient to Sanford airport which I sometimes use

Marriott Marquis Times Square - crowded, huge, unsightly, and exhausting

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

First, I would have to define my "regular" Marriotts.  Hmmm.

For North San Diego County ("North County")

Most Fav - Toss up between La Jolla Marriott and Oceanside SHS, both wonderful each in their own way

Least Fav - Toss up between CY Carlsbad/McLellan Palomar and Carlsbad TPS.  Nah, TPS gets this one.

For Newport Beach area, of MVCI Newport Coast, NB Marriott, Bayview Marriott, Irvine Marriott

Most Fav - MVCI Newport Coast

Least Fav - None, they all treat us well

There's an RC and a Marriott Resort and Spa in nearby Laguna, but so far, too rich for my blood.

For Monterey, well, that's a problem.  Not really happy with any of the properties, Monterey Marriott (really don't like their parking sitch or the no breakfast on weekends), Salinas CY and RI have gotten too big for their britches (regularly raising prices and categories in the last couple of years, which makes them, while already slightly inconvenient to Monterey, now also no longer a good value.)

For San Francisco,

What used to be our most favorite has now become our least favorite, So. San Francisco, Oyster Point CY and RI, for the same reasons as above, raising prices and categories, the same tight britches problem.  We're going to give the Hotel Adagio Autograph Collection a try next month.  Hoping for good things.

WDC

Most Fav - Hands Down, The Mayflower

Least Fav - Key Bridge Marriott

Must mention that we do also really like the Cap View Ren, Crystal City Marriott, and even Fairview Park Marriott, when rates are too high elsewhere.  Will be trying out the Marriott Marquis in Oct.

Paris

Most Fav - Marriott Opera Ambassador

Least Fave - None, out of the 6 that I've now tried there.  All good, all have their strengths!

I don't know how relevant this is however, since San Diego, SF and DC have numerous Marriott properties (all brands), and we've only tried a fraction of them.

I actually like the Key Bridge Marriott better than Fairview Park.

Other than having a nice view of the rowing clubs on the Potomac from the CL in the morning, we found the CL at Key Bridge to be meh (though the service was good), and the place overall, to be dumpy and in dire need of a refresh.  Further, without a car, shlepping our luggage from the Rosslyn metro station on the bumpy roads/sidewalks was a real drag.  I must admit, when we visited the CL, we had to suffer some bloke who thought that what he had to say was so important that everyone in the CL must hear, but still.

I found the surroundings (trees and courtyard garden) at Fairview Park to be perfectly lovely.  Free parking, indoor/outdoor pool, attractive lobby, free shuttle service to the metro, fantastic breakfast, free to us, but priced very reasonably (and worth it) if we had to pay.  The room, though small, was fresh and the CL was closed for renovation, so should also now be refreshed.  At $71/night, Wow.

@pluto77   I stayed at these two hotels on consecutive nights when we were having some home repairs being done so the differences stand out in my memory.  The closet at Fairview Park was miniscule.  Parking was free t FP and was not too high at Key Bridge.  There was no luggage to schlepp at either place since we drove.

Except for the closet the rooms were comparable.  Key Bridge had spectacular views.  In addition to the River we could see the monuments of DC.  Service was typical Marriott excellence at both hotels.  We liked the lobby set up better at Key Bridge.  KB is a ten minute walk to the restaurants and nightlife of Georgetown and without luggage it is an easy walk to the Metro.  From FP you can walk to nowhere.  KB had a nice CL but we were in FP on the weekend so no CL.  Rates were about the same at both hotels the week we were there.   The senior rate, is $5 cheaper at FP, tonight, a small but real difference!

pluto77, we may have already had this discussion, but I parked in the municipal lot (East Garage) on Franklin, just a couple blocks from the Marriott for $7 a day.  Actually it was less than $7 a day because there were a couple of days when I didn't move the car, and I wasn't charged for those extra days for some reason - it's an automated system and I didn't really have any way to tell anyone they were undercharging me!  I hate valet parking because it's expensive, and I like to have access to the car without depending on someone else, waiting for them to retrieve the car, and worrying about coming up with tip money, etc.

Yes, we did have that discussion and thanks for reminding me.  That's right, I was going to give it another try to see if I hopefully wouldn't get charged the hourly rate next time (Marriott people told me we would get charged), but you told me that they did not charge you the hourly rate for "in and outs" there.

pluto77, no they didn't charge an hourly rate for in and out, but I suppose if you're moving the car several times a day each day you might pay $7 each time?  I took my car out once a day for maybe about 1/2 the days I was there, so I probably ended up paying about $7 every other day.  Strangely enough, it was the Marriott front desk that recommended that I park in the municipal garage, and they specifically recommended the East Garage although there is one closer that they told me not to use.  The East Garage had a flat daily rate but the others had an hourly rate and/or cost more.  I think they charged $7 every time you entered the garage, so if you leave several times a day and return several times I day, I suppose you get dinged for $7 each time.  Hmmmm.....interesting.

Ya, interesting.  Well, to come perfectly clean, another problem that "we" have is that, put simply, my husband really doesn't like the downtown area.  The truth is, he would be just as happy at any number of the motels on Munras (where we used to stay when we were younger.)  His needs are basic.  I quite honestly prefer Pacific Grove, Green Gables Inn, or Carmel Mission Ranch, but I can't stand the thought of not getting Marriott points (and bad, very bad to let Marriott control me this way.)  Okay, the real truth is, he's grown tired of Monterey, and prefers Morro Bay, another locale with no Marriotts.  I still love me my Monterey.

pluto77, I let Marriott control me as well.  I am sure my family and employer could save a lot of money if I just booked on hotels.com and didn't care about MR points!  One of my clients regularly books me at Hard Rock Universal at Orlando (a Loews property), and it is a really nice resort but it just kills me not to get CL access without paying an extra $100 a night on my own dime (that's what they charge at that property), ya know?  Of course, no CL at Marriott Monterey, but still you do get the points and an "elite room" with a nice view.

As you know I like the Monterey Marriott and as well the breakfast, just have the Omelette gal make ya a nice veggie Omelette and toss some fruit along side......almost perfect in my mind.

Very thorough answer, pluto77, teacher now gives you a Gold Star!

And, as far as Paris is concerned there's no such place as a hohum Marriott. You're in Paris!

homoviator Platinum

I love the SHS in Oceanside. Absolutely one of my favorites. The location is basically is oceanfront with a rooftop pool. the atmosphere is relaxed. I also love that they don't use styrofoam plates.  I just love everything about it  

muuurph Platinum

Hi Pluto,

Did you stay at the Adagio yet?  I'm between that one and the Fisherman's Wharf Marriott for a family vacation in June.  Would do the Marriott except they only offer rooms with 2 double beds, and my boys are now 5' 11'' and 5' 7".  Asking them to sleep in a double bed is not gonna go over well.  The wife and I probably wouldn't do too well either.  If we stay  there we're actually considering bringing 2 air mattresses, if they'll fit in the room.  So I'm leaning towards the Adagio, but my experience with Autograph Collection hotels has not been great and I'm not thrilled about the location.  Still leaning towards it as the rooms seem to be big and nice.  Can you give me your impressions of the Adagio and the surrounding area?  Also, if you've stayed at the Wharf Marriott, any feedback on that location would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

John

Hi muuurph,

Sorry, but I haven't stayed at any Marriott properties in the heart of SF.  In the past, we've stayed at So. SF and Caltrained or BARTed in.  We're staying at the Marquis in June and the Adagio in November.  I presume that the CY at the Wharf is booked up for your dates?  It looks like they have queen/queen rooms.  Otherwise, you could maybe see about a rollaway for the Wharf Marriott, but that only solves part of the problem.

Adagio is sort of in the theater district.  You could walk to Union Square and catch public transportation and/or Powell Street cable car from there, or the California Street cable car to the Ferry Terminal and walk the Embarcadero.  Will you have a car?  With the cable cars, it's almost more cost effective to do a day pass, which gives you cable car trans as well as other trans, but it can add up.  I have no issues with the theater district; there are a number of hotels on Geary, and the JW is close by, but not sure it's the location you're looking for.  The wharf area really is nice, because of being closer to the water.  IAHFLYR really likes the Wharf Marriott, I believe.  But the wharf and the bay are only some of (albeit a big 'some') of SF's many charms.  If you have a car and are willing to spend on parking at the hotel and wherever else, I think the Adagio would be fine.  Tough call, really.

Message was edited by: pluto77  Oh ya, we did have a reservation in March, but had to cancel.

Yes we do love the Fisherman's Wharf Marriott because it puts us close to North Beach, Chinatown, easy access to the Golden Gate Bridge and getting north to the Wine Country as well as Tiburon and Sausalito.  And parking at most places in SF is a killer for sure.

peymanagement Platinum

With all of the courtyard bashing that I have participated in, it is almost embarrassing for me to say that my favorite Marriott hotel is the Courtyard Niagara Falls, Ontario. They put on a little package that includes money (40 dollars0  towards dinner there restaurant (Keg which is probably the best chain in Canada) and breakfast is included and there are vouchers for drinks as well as vouchers for wine and beer tasting in nearby Niagara on the Lake.

A Marriott that does not give me the  best vibe is the Miami Airport Marriott. I have stayed there several times and will stay again, but it just doesn't feel special.

nhtraveler Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Brightlybob -

Favorites -

Marriott Brooklyn Bridge - Interesting exhibit of Brooklyn historical artifacts (the Dodgers, Navy Yard, etc.) and really close to several subway lines. I've only been there on weekends and the concierge lounge is not open weekends - only disadvantage.

Glasgow Marriott - Centrally located, the Financial Times and kippers in the morning in the concierge lounge (a big plus!) and a nice restaurant and bar. (When Brenda and I were there their featured drink was a blue hawaiian (sp?) - Go figure!

Wentworth by the Sea (NH) - Restored classic hotel. Pricey, but really nice.

Wotcha NH.

For whatever reason I've not yet been to the Glasgow Marriott. I've stayed in all the UK Marriotts except Glasgow & Aberdeen (and a few Londoners). Quite strange really that my work has never taken me to these 2 cities.

vttraveler1 Gold

I've just discovered the Fairfield Inn in Keene NH - it's a boutique hotel, very interesting rooms/suites and the town is fabulous! Easy walk to great cafes, restaurants and book shops. I detour on my trips from VT to CT to stay here - it's a treat!

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

brightlybob

Thank you for the fun homework assignment!   I put together my list of Favorites and Ho-Hums.  To be fair I only included properties in which I have stayed multiple times. Fortunately my Favorites do outweigh my Ho-Hums.  Here they are in no particular order:

Favorites:

Times Square Marriott Marquis- NYC

MVC Fairway Villas- Galloway NJ

Toronto Marriott Eaton Centre

Fairview Park Marriott- Falls Church VA

Courtyard Dunn Loring- Vienna VA

Renaissance Captial View- Arlington, VA

Residence Inn- Waynesboro, VA

Raleigh Renaissance Hotel- Raleigh, NC

Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort, Myrtle Beach SC

JW Marriott Buckhead, Atlanta GA

Marriott Grande Vista Resort- Orlando, FL

The Buttes- Phoenix, AZ

The Cosmopolitan- Las Vegas

MVC- Grand Chateau- Las Vegas

Burbank Airport Marriott- Burbank, CA

Courtyard Burbank- Burbank, CA

Ho-Hums:

Courtyard Harrisburg Hershey- Harrisburg PA

Crystal Gateway Marriott- Arlington, VA

Courtyard Medical Center UVA- Charlottesville, VA

Courtyard Richmond Airport- Richmond VA

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I find it interesting that you prefer the Renaissance Capital view to  the 2 Marriotts in the area.  Care to mention why?

I have been treated well at the Monterey Marriott and am given breakfast every day of the week.  They tend to upgrade me.  I don't like their parking but have been lucky to find street parking the last couple of times.  I watch for specials since I can drive there.  Like Pluto, the RI and CY are about a 30 min drive from what I am interested in seeing and things that I want to do.  When they were a lower category, it was worth it for a free room but not anymore.

Hi californian

I haven't stayed at the Crystal City Marriott so I can't really comment on the rooms there.  The Crystal Gateway rooms are ok but nothing special (Ho-Hum). The hotel rooms at the Gateway property are really overdue for a remodel.  When I've stayed there in the past it was more for having quick access to the metro station.

The Renaissance Hotel is obviously much newer and a bit more modern.  The staff has always been so friendly there and I've had good luck with getting upgrades there.  Last year we were upgraded to a really nice suite. The CL and views are also very nice at the Renaissance.  Check out the pictures from our last stay:

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/photoAlbums/1803#9495

Location Brand Hotel
        Arlington, Virginia, USA Renaissance Hotels Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel

I stayed at the RI which is adjacent to the Ren and as I remember, I needed to shuttle to the metro while at both Marriotts I could walk.  Am I right? 

The metro station is about 3 1/2 blocks away from the Renaissance.  According to Google it is .8 miles and approximately 16minute walk.  eclektech and I walked to the metro once and it wasn't that bad.  Once you get to 23rd street you can cut through the Crystal City Shops to get to it.  You are right the Renaissance & Residence Inn next door offer a shuttle to the Metro.  Most of the times when we stayed at the Renaissance it was to be close to Regan Airport to catch a flight the next morning.  The Crystal City & Gateway Marriotts are definitely closer to the metro station. 

Thanks for confirming what I thought I remembered.  Since I will be doing a lot of walking in DC, I will probably stay closer to the metro.  I remember when I stayed at the RI, the shuttle ran once per hour and I seemed to always miss it by a few minutes and had to wait close to an hour.  The same shuttle picked up at both hotels on the same rum.  I am now holding both hotels and have time to think about it.

I agree with you, the Cap View Ren is attractive and trendy and the CL is great for DCA runway watching, as has been noted by several.  The staff are friendly and accommodating.  They keep track of their returning guests, as my last couple of visits, I have been "welcomed back.". californian, I believe that the shuttle runs more like every 20-30 minutes.  I've also gotten out of the metro and made a quick phone call to the front desk to let them know that I'm waiting for shuttle pick up at metro, so they know not to drop the ball, and so far, so good.  I also don't mind walking the extra mile, which is saying something, considering how much walking is already required in DC.  But honestly, my reservation decisions are mostly price driven.  I have a res at Cap View Ren in August at a great price.  It will be hot.  I will not want to walk that extra mile in the heat and humidity.  Glad I read this, because I just re-checked, and Crystal City Marriott is now in the ballpark price wise (pardon the pun - as I'll be there for a ballgame ), so now I will stay there.  CC Marriott is better than ho-hum, though not trendy like Cap View Ren, but as mentioned, is on top of the metro, plus has really great breakfasts and staff is also very nice.  I always request a room facing away from Jeff Davis Hwy.

Thanks pluto77.  Yes.  I can make any of them work.  I too base my decision on price.  I still have time and keep watching.  I just checked for another stay and the price went down.  Changed it and saved $24 + tax on that.

Excellent lookin' out! 

Now for me, the wheels are spinning... As on the other side of the coin, for only an extra $34/night, + tax, one can stay at the lovely Mayflower.   Well, I would also have to add in taxi fare.  For 9am flights out, I'm never comfortable with leaving the fate of my airport transportation in the hands of wmata.

nmballoonist Platinum

I have stayed at both the Crystal Gateway and the Crystal City.  I would take the Crystal Gateway any day.  Both have underground access to the Metro, but the Crystal City was more in need of the remodel than the Gateway.  Also the elevator to the Crystal City went from the underground shops directly to the hotel floors.  Didn't like this.  With the Gateway you walk into the lobby and take the elevators from there.

Just stayed at the JW on Pennsylvania Ave the first time a couple of weeks ago.  If the price is reasonable compared to the two Crystal City properties, give it a try.  Two and a half blocks to the Metro Center station and more convenient to more places due to its location.  I have yet to try the Mayflower since all the times I have looked I can't get a reasonable rate.  Need to book sooner.

Thats one heck of a reply, vaboywnder, and definitely deserving of a gold star!

vaboywnder,

Love the Fairway Villas alright.  Used to stay there when working at the FAA Tech Center about six times a year mostly in the late fall through late spring and then transfer over the Somers Point for the summer.  Tough to beat a two bedroom villa on the government rate of $96 a night I believe it was.  Loved the entire place and McGettigan's was pretty fun spot to kick your feet up after a fun day of dealing with the FAA

mmvvbb Gold

I currently am staying at the Gaylord Texan Hotel in Grapevine Dallas. A nice property insulted by its staff. My wife locked herself out last nigh (I was deeply asleep) and was treated in the most hurtful way by the staff, until she finally was able to have access and commented to me in the morning. I proceeded to file a complaint in the morning to find the cockiest un-experienced member of the staff in this Hotel, with the attitude of a street thug. Not only he did not address my complaint but proceeded to attack me and defend "all the protocols" without addressing my displeasement. I can't believe that people like this are hired by a company like Marriott. it insults all guests and his co workers.

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

So sorry to hear about this mmvvbb. If you could send us a direct message with your Rewards number and your reservation number, we'd like to look into this for you. Thank you for reaching out.

mmvvbb Gold

Hi Andrew, thank you so much for your concern. I called corporate offices and talked to Christie, who did apologized and treated me with the respect I believe I deserve, she compromised to call the Gaylor directly and a Casey from management left me a message with her number at 5:10 PM yesterday, Sunday February 28th, 2016. I called today in the morning since I am checking out today, and at 09:38 I have not received a response.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi mmvvbbI've taken out your Rewards numbers from your above post to make sure your information stays private.  Apologies for the frustration this has caused.  I'm also going to take a deeper look into this for you.  I will circle back via direct message as soon as I've received clarity. 

homoviator Platinum

I feel I have some odd love/hate relationships with many hotels.  Marriott Key Bridge is frumpy I've never had particularly noticeable service but I love the location across the street from Georgetown. It makes for a great weekend in DC, especially on a Sunday.

Another one that I feel like that is the SHS in Charlotte near Ikea.  I love the location for my needs, the people at the front and desk have always been great, but it's overrun with kids and half of them I suspect aren't staying at the hotel. It seems to be a popular place on weekends to rent a room for somebody's birthday then just bring all the friends to swim. More than once, my daughter has been run out of there because of over-the-top behavior.  Maybe it's time to reconsider that one.

pilam76 Platinum

I Just won't stay at a town place suites or residence in because you only get half the points of other marriotts

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Then again you only pay half the price.

My favorite is the JWM in Bangkok. In particular the gym and spa area is fantastic. I love the hot water jacuzzi that is right on the edge of burning you as you get in. Ice water bath next to it I can do without. Sauna and steam rooms right there. Full service gym and pool part of the setup.

Town Place Suites in West Valley City, Utah had great service and a nice pool and jacuzzi and was really cheap.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I feel the same way. I will stay at TPS and Res Inn occasionally, though earning half the points of other properties generally pushes me to pick CY or FFI. Sometimes there are no other choices in the area. That was the case in Dodge City, KS. TPS was the only Marriott brand in town.

IM considering an RI with the in-laws at Muskoka, ON, but the half points are a PITA!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...