13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2016 12:52 PM by phctourist RSS

How many nights do you typically stay during a MegaBonus?

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

With the Spring 2016 MegaBonus almost a month underway, now seemed like a good time to check on our progress.

Most of the recent promotions required 10, 12, 15, or 20 nights to earn bonus points. They typically maxed out around 25 to 30 nights.

With the exception of the business travelers always on the road, it's hard for most of us to reach the required number of nights to earn points.

Doing your best to think back over the last couple promotions, what is your best estimate of the number of night you normally stay during a MegaBonus?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How many nights do you typically stay during a MegaBonus?

Fall 2014 - 10 nights

Spring 2015 - 13 nights

Fall 2015 - 25 nights

Spring 2016 - 20? nights

I've been trying to move my travel into the bonus periods when possible which has helped on the current one as well as the one from last fall. Without doing this, I'd probably average around 12-15 nights most times.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

painedplatinum Platinum 2 Reviews

Fall 2014  - 40 nights

Spring 2015 -   37 nights

Fall 2015 - 77 nights

Spring 2016 - 32 nights

I used to try and spread some of the excess nights to other chains to maintain status, but it's too much work..lol

peymanagement Platinum

I have always found these beyond my plans. The first one that I have made was fall 2015 where I had 23 nights, largely because of a European vacation. I may be close this spring but it is touch and go. 

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

Because of my job and light or non-existent travel in any season except summer, I've always received the "Make two stays, score a one-night cert, max of two" in both the fall and spring MegaBonuses. And because I've not traveled a lot nine months of the year and have accumulated a boatload of points, most stays have been rewards redemptions, so "no certs for you!"

But to be honest, it's never really bothered me that I was unable to travel because Athens, G-A, is so much fun in both autumn and the springtime. But after July 1, I'll be able to start taking advantage of promotions year-round, beginning, I hope, in Houston.

corrie1013 Platinum

It always seems like these promotions happen RIGHT AFTER I've done most of my traveling for the year!  But, for this year, my husband has been and will be traveling quite a bit.  He's already got 13 nights completed, has another week coming up in March, then is practically living in several Marriott's the whole month of April.  I'm going to estimate that when all is said and done that he will probably have 30-35 more nights by the end of April.  For me, I only have 1 reward stay booked for 3 nights so far...que the sad violin music. 

homoviator Platinum

I hit around 10 in spring and 10 in fall.  I can come close to hitting the mega bonuses, but only about once every other year.  However this year's numbers are just way out of my league even with an extra weekend trip or two added to get there. I'm afraid they have moved my carrot to far away to get me to even try. 

However, I'll unlock the free certificate, which is great.  Now I just need to find a time to use it.

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I usually fare better with the Spring Megabonus than the Fall one.  We usually travel during school Spring Break, which is easily 9-10 nights.  I have a conference early April which will add 4 nights, add a few weekend getaways and I'll hit the 20 nights.  Hopefully, I can hit 25, but we shall see.

jrmchicago Platinum

I'm always on the road so I always max out the bonuses early. I used to split my time between Marriott and SPG but now that I'm lifetime platinum with SPG, my focus is on lifetime platinum with Marriott. I'm about 300,000 points away so the push is on to get there and the Megabonus really helps.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Maybe 6 at the most.  Most of our big travel seems to occur between May 15th and Sept. 15th, right after or right before mega (micro, ha,ha) bonuses start. .  Heading to France right after the current meg-oops, micro bonus ends and will be in Italy before the fall bonus starts (assuming there will be one this fall).  Hey, I'm learning that - it's all good.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

bejacob

My level of travel is spread fairly evenly throughout the year.  Over the past several years I've not achieved the max bonus only once or twice based on timing.  Love the MegaBonus!  Thanks for post.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I have never once stayed enough to get a MegaBonus, although I do usually qualify for the stay 2 nights get a certificate offers when they have those.  Most of my travel is for work or scheduled around the kids' school calendar, so I don't have a lot of flexibility to bunch up stays during the MegaBonus period. 

I usually can meet spending requirements on my airline credit cards to get bonuses offered on those.  For example, I'm doing a challenge where I need to spend 2500 per month for 6 months on my Aviator card, then I'll get a bonus of 30,000 AA miles.  Should be no problem since it's easy to charge stuff that you're going to buy anyway.  So I do better with the airline bonus challenges than with MR ones.  In fact, I'm not even using my MR card lately as I have plenty of MR points but need more airline miles, so I'm putting my Marriott stays on airline cards now instead for awhile.  At this point, I'd rather spend MR points on a status buyback in 2017 (if necessary) than rack up a bunch more MR when I really need FF miles.

Seems like there really are two distinct groups (apologies to those who don't fit either).

1) Folks who always, or nearly always, max out bonuses

2) Less frequent travelers who might hit 5-10 nights/2-4 stays during a promotion.

Perhaps then, there should be different promotions for each group. No need for 4 options as in the past. Give us two choices, then let us pick. Marriott always selects a bonus for us which is supposedly suited to our travel. Most of the time it turns out to be way off.

How about a MegaBonus (points for 20+ nights) and a MegaBonus Lite (certificates for 2+ stays)? Let us pick which one works based on our travel PLANS not our travel HISTORY. Might be worth further discussion.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

My number is all over the place.  Sometimes I go a n entire Magabonus period without a night and other times I 've reached the low twenties.

A couple of times, I've actually extended a trip or added one because I was close to making a bonus.  I guess that is what Marriott is actually trying to accomplish with these promotions.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...