20 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2016 1:39 AM by kharada46 RSS

When and Where Was Your first Marriott Stay?

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

My first Marriott stay was on June 19, 1966.  It was my wedding night and we stayed at the old Key Bridge Marriott, which was then a 2 story motel.  About 44 years later, my daughter was married at the new Key Bridge Marriott, built at the same location.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Arlington, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Key Bridge Marriott
  • Re: When and Where Was Your first Marriott Stay?
    bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

I think my first Marriott visit was the Waikiki Beach Marriott back in May 1989. I had an overnight stop in Honolulu on the way to Australia and the folks I was traveling with used points for the stay. I can't say for sure there weren't any before 1989, but I definitely remember that stay.

I do know my first stay as a MR member was at the CY Indianapolis-Castleton in Feb 2011. In fact, Marriott just sent me an email acknowledging my 5th anniversary with Marriott Rewards. With all the lifetime Platinums around, it makes me feel like a relative newcomer.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I've never received an e-mail acknowledging my anniversary as a rewards member.  I'm not even quite sure what year I signed up.  I've never seen that written anywhere on my profile.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I think it was the Santa Clara Marriott around 1983 and I stayed there again last year and may times in between

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Mine was honeymoon July 15, 1990, at the brand spanking new CasaMagna Marriott in Cancun.  Some part of the property will never be the same again!! LOL

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Mine was the Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, I think around 1998. My family would take weekend trips into Portland ever once in a while, and I always looked forward to staying there. Since I live in Portland now, I have no reason to stay there anymore, but I have fond memories!

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I think it was the FFI in Gatlinburg, TN in 2003.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

BTW There were only three Marriott hotels at that time!

AZDesertRat Platinum

The Marriott in downtown Salt Lake City in the mid 1980's.  Quite an intersection, with the Hotel Utah on one corner, a failed bank on another, the Marriott, and the Mormon Temple, with a big statue of Brigham Young in the center.

My Wife and I stayed at the Salt Lake City Marriott after skiing in Park City for a few days probably in 1992.  We were in the hot tub after a long day of skiing and drive back to SLC when this very tall good looking guy walks up and gets in the tub with us.......the Mrs. not being quite as basketball savoy as myself asks him, "where did you ski today"!!  God bless her ever loving looks and innocents..........it was TIM DUNCAN then of Wake Forest fame and now after how many NBA Rings from the San Antonio Spurs fame as Wake was in SLC for the NCAA Regional Finals.  Oh how I love her to this day for her no clue. Timmy was so cordial and almost as innocent as she, we talked North Carolina foods and ACC Basketball for about 20 minutes before he left and said enjoy your night....the next day I showed her on TV who we met!!!! Great night for me after the game!

AZDesertRat Platinum

A memorable encounter.  I always respected Tim Duncan as an individual and basketball great; just never happy about his team's dominance over the Phoenix Suns (remember them? - I can't name one player on the team right now).  Your reply makes me rethink my "first Marriott stay," which I now think was in Honolulu - year unknown - in the CL, where we met a pro golfer (Tim Simpson) who was there playing in the January PGA golf tournament.  It would stand out more vividly if it had been a star of the magnitude of Tim Duncan.  I need a glass of misterchk 's memory tonic to improve my recollections.

peymanagement Platinum

Mine was Altamonte Springs Residence Inn in 1988.

peymanagement what in the world where you doing in Florida in 1988?  Did you own an Orange Grove or what?

peymanagement Platinum

Had a conference in Fort Lauderdale, After it we drove up the coast to see the launch of Discovery, then did the Orlando stuff. Now that I think of it the conference was at Marriot Harbor Beach so that was my first.

doddsy69 Platinum 8 Reviews

Newcastle metro centre Marriott in  Feb 2005 

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I don't know for sure when my first Marriott stay occurred.  I do recall staying at the Courtyard in Mendota Heights, MN, while visiting for job interviews many years ago before joining MR.  The only reason I remember it is that this particular CY actually has a courtyard garden-type thing surrounded by the building(s).  You know, an actual COURTYARD.  I was quite surprised to later on learn that CY properties usually do not have actual courtyards.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

Mine was in Roanoke, VA back in 1994 at the former Roanoke Marriott.

This question was posted a couple of years ago...here is a link to that thread:

Re: Like 1994....The First Marriott Stay

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Like bejacob, my very first stay was at the Waikiki Beach Marriott, but was in March 2011.  My friend was getting married with a morning ceremony at the Ko'olau Golf Course and lunch reception at the Queen Kapiolani Hotel (a few blocks from the Marriott), so we decided to stay in Waikiki to help minimize travel times. 

This was our first "staycation" in addition to being our first Marriott stay.  Why I chose it?  I'm not sure.  What I do remember was the pricing being reasonable, the associates friendly, and being upgraded to a partial ocean view room... and I wasn't even a Marriott Rewards members!  A week later I joined Marriott Rewards, and 5 months later, the wife and I got engaged there!  And of course, the rest is history!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...