7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2016 12:28 PM by kharada46 RSS

Platinum Perks at J.W. Marriott Resorts?

alphawolf500 Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

_My recent experience in Tucson suggests there aren't any unless you count the standard $10 coupon for the bar.    Considering the excellent service, lounges and free breakfast at standard J.W Marriott properties,  why are none of these available at J.W. Resorts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Tucson, Arizona, USA JW Marriott JW Marriott Tucson Starr Pass Resort & Spa
tucson
  • Re: Platinum Perks at J.W. Marriott Resorts?
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

I don't think any resorts give elite benefits, whether they are branded as JWs or not.  Not only do they not give you any benefits, but they also usually charge ridiculous resort fees

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

2puravida Platinum

My only JW experience is international. We stayed for 5 days at JW Guanacaste Costa Rica last year.We were upgraded x2 levels. We were given a better rate on inclusive, and treated amazing.

We will be going back in April for 12 days, all points. Woohoo, can't wait. Sure hope they didn't change their attitude towards elite members.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

alphawolf500, clebert is absolutely correct.  Resorts under the Marriott family of brands, regardless of their brand, do not participate in elite benefits.  Even the Fairfield Inn Anaheim Resort doesn't provide free breakfast like ALL Fairfield Inns are supposed to because it's a "resort."  Calling it a resort is a REALLY FAR STRETCH if you ask me, as this property is literally a standard FF with a crummy pool and a Pizza Hut jammed in it.  But, such are the rules with Marriott. 

vertol46 Platinum

Yes, I noticed there was no breakfast there. And I didn't care for the Pizza Hut, either. But I loved being able to walk to Disneyland with my daughter.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

We received a room upgrade, as well as free breakfast vouchers and no resort fees at the Marriott at The Buttes last year.  Had we not opted in to the Griffin Club at the JW Los Cabos Resort and Spa two weeks ago, we would've received a room upgrade, but not to a suite (they are explicit about that).  No free breakfast.  We were Platinum for these stays.  I really think that some resorts are more generous with elite benefits than others, though most are not (generous), and the only way to know for certain is to call the property and speak with the front desk/rooms control folks. 

To answer the question, "Why?"  Why indeed?  For some, because they can, I recon.  Seriously, a really outstanding resort will have far more amenities than a regular hotel, and thus, guests are charged for access to these amenities.  For a not so good resort, and there are a number of them, it does appear to be a rip-off.  For a really good resort, say with 15 gorgeously appointed swimming pools, a couple of swim up bars, a half dozen (or more) dining/lounge venues, gorgeous grounds, rooftop bars, gardens, fire pits, full service salon and spa, full size gym with trainers and exercise classes, libraries (yes, libraries!), rec rooms, kid activities and day care, culinary classes, full housekeeping twice/day, and an attitude from the staff that "Anything is possible for our guests, here at JW [insert name]," it would be considered reasonable, at least to my mind.

homoviator Platinum

I received free parking (big plus), $5 of daily resort fee and a great upgrade at the JW Marriott at Grande Lake.

There's clearly a variety of benefits (or not).  It seems that if you want to have an idea, the best thing is to call or email and ask the hotel.  Sometimes they might surprise you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...