8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2016 2:24 AM by kharada46 RSS

Which Hotel Loyalty Program is Best?

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I ran across this interesting infographic while browsing the travel forums, which present a ton of data in an effort to figure out which hotel has the best loyalty program, including affiliated credit cards (US only):

2016-Best-Hotel-Rewards-Program6.png

The site further breaks things down in the post itself:  Best Hotel Rewards Program

The data presented isn't the least bit surprising for the most part for those that have looked into this sort of thing before.  It is interesting, however, to have a side-by-side comparison between SPG and Marriott Rewards.  Naturally, since we're on Insiders, I'm sure most of us will agree that Marriott Rewards is one of the top, if not the top, hotel loyalty programs around.  What are your thoughts? 

• Re: Which Hotel Loyalty Program is Best?
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

kharada46, I joined MR when I started attending a week-long conference at the World Center for work.  Otherwise I would probably have stuck with Hilton or IHG.  Those companies have more properties in rural areas where I travel for work, and 2 of my 3 company offices that I routinely visit have a Hilton in the building which makes Hilton very convenient.  Hyatt is a no go for me as there aren't often properties in the places I need to go for work.  I do like Starwood, and unlike other Insiders, I am optimistic that the merger will open up new opportunities and will be a positive development.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thanks for sharing clebert!  So you sacrifice some convenience to be loyal?  Between the two, I'd definitely choose Marriott over Hilton.  Starwood undoubtedly has fantastic properties, I'm just not a fan of SPG. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Great infographic, very thought provoking, thanks for posting.

Again and again SPG gets trashed for its earn and burn ratio but this ignores its number of hotels in lower categories and the value of extra points, for instance it's welcome 500 points may be the same number as Marriotts but are worth SO much more. When I compared elite earnings between IHG, Marriott, SPG and Hilton it was Marriott that clearly scored best on earn and burn, Hilton that came in plumb last and IHG/SPG fought out the middle ground. Like clebert I do take the view that the merger with SPG will be a positive development...

brightlybob, this is true.  I'm not a fan of SPG because of the difficulty in earning points, especially to use at aspirational properties.  However, it is true that their points are very VALUABLE.  Among the travel whizzes at BoardingArea, SPG is probably the highest valued and most loved, especially for the ability to turn 20,000 SPG points into 25,000 airline miles. 

In overall value, I couldn't agree more.  Hilton is awful.  After they gutted their program a few years ago, well, we know...

jrmchicago Platinum

I'm getting close to lifetime Platinum with Marriott.  I do like that they seem to have more properties than SPG but I'm actually a huge fan of SPG (lifetime Platinum) and believe their points are worth more than Marriott.  It's also easy to acquire additional points with their Green program (foregoing housekeeping for 500 points per day). I earned suite upgrades and had an Ambassador after staying 100 nights in a year.  All nice perks.

I hope Marriott takes some of the good things from SPG and improves their program.

JRMChicago, wow lifetime Platinum SPG and (almost) Marriott Rewards?!  You're quite the road warrior!  That green program sounds great; definitely better than what Marriott offers in that regard. 

jrmchicago Platinum

kharada46, Yes, I had 340 nights in hotels last year.  At least I'm at the same location for a long time instead of having to change hotels every few days.

WOW!!  That is A LOT of nights!!  Great to know that it's longterm stays a not a bunch of short stays all over the place.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...