49 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2016 11:29 PM by iahflyr RSS

HAS THE TIME COME FOR US TO MAKE AN EFFORT TO STAY ON TOPIC?

Platinum 28 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

(THE FOLLOWING IS AN OPINION - I WELCOME EVERYONE'S COMMENTS AND ALTERNATIVES.

IN COMMENTING, PLEASE STAY ON SUBJECT AND AVOID PERSONAL OR PARTICULAR EXPERIENCES OR INCIDENTS. WE ARE ALL GUILTY OF WHAT I HAVE DESCRIBED.  PLEASE ACCEPT THIS DISCUSSION AS AN ATTEMPT TO IMPROVE THE FORUM. THANK YOU.)

CONTRIBUTORS HAVE BEEN DISCUSSING THE EVER GROWING PROBLEM OF "SWAYING" WAY OFF POINT/SUBJECT ON MANY (IF NOT ALL DISCUSSIONS).

This is a situation that is getting worse and making it more complicated to answer specific comments and even, in many cases, remembering what the discussion is about.

This can only be corrected by the contributing members and the moderators.  Members must accept the responsibility to avoid personal messages to each other (there is a built in facility for private messages) as well as comment on the subject and try and avoid personal experiences that don't apply to the discussion.

Moderators must help us out.  They must police and remove those comments that are completely off subject (not censor).

If we don't attempt to "clean up our act" the utilization of the site/forum will become less efficient as well as impossible to trade information that is important to our travels.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Dixon, IL
Woodland Hills, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Warner Center Marriott Woodland Hills
  • Re: HAS THE TIME COME FOR US TO MAKE AN EFFORT TO STAY ON TOPIC?
    jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

good goal and periodic reminders always help but all forums have this problem as people are people

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum

This reminds me of a news article that I read recently that's totally unrelated. Something about the use of all CAPS and blood pressure....

peymanagement Platinum

In Houston, I was thinking of moving from the JW to the RI it is thirty bucks cheaper and I heard that there is a guy grilling steaks and veg in the courtyard.

Platinum 28 Reviews

peymanagement

Thank you for your off point non-productive and non-constructive comment

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I will grill with you peymanagement and jerrycoin!!!! Not necessarily Steak, but Chicken and Fish!!

I'm sorry just couldn't resist, BAD IAHFLYR came out again.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...................while I would tend to agree with what misterchk put down that we need to focus on the topic of the discussion and share only personal experiences pertaining to the topic (boy am I ever guilty of not doing that at times) the fact of the matter is when we start to go off topic use the "Branch" icon and start anew with another thread.  The only one who is able to do that as I know other than the Mods is the OP in this case misterchk.

A difficult task for sure, but let us all strive for remaining focused (I will require help) as well as welcome all newcomers.

Platinum

In all seriousness, I agree with misterchk, but think we have to police ourselves if we don't expect NathalieF and others to effectively become censors. Also, I expect the replies to this thread to continue to move further and further off topic - just because as someone mentioned - "people are people"

Platinum 28 Reviews

I believe in my post I stated we must act with the "help" of the moderators.

If we can't first police ourselves this is an exercise in futility.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

No more censors......Lord knows we already have enough of that, just have the Mods remove that post and send a DM to the offender reminding them to remain on topic, then who is ruling with an iron fist?

Platinum 28 Reviews

Why do I have everyone mis-understanding the point:  If we do not make the effort these discussions after an hour take on subjects, personal messages and attacks etc etc etc.

There are obviously those that think this is a joke - but I personally am getting less and less constructive information from this forum.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

I raised this question about a year ago.  I think that what happens is that after a while, people begin to stray from the subject and the dialogues take on a life of their own.  It's a bit like the children's game where a group, sitting in a circle whisper something into each other's ears, going around the circle.  At the end, the message bears little or no resemblance to the original.  I know that I am often guilty of perpetuating this drift from subject., and I could accuse may of the other contributors of tis heinous crime!

A year ago I started a thread asking for people's most and least favorite CLs.  Today, it is still alive and it features, among other subjects, posts about restaurants in Marriott hotels.

I think we need to retire posts after a certain period of time.  This could be done with an automatic expiration date, or perhaps one of our moderators, could just retire any thread when the thread diverges from the original subject.  carat , would something like that be doable?

Platinum 28 Reviews

What did you have for breakfast - this answer was on point, made a suggestion and was constructive.

And, most importantly, I agree with your opinion and the possible implementation of time limits.

A sight I visit periodically that deals with an industry that I am involved in has the following limits:  60 days on a topic than the discussion is closed.  AND allows only 50 comments - if there are further comments there must be a reposting of the subject updated per the comments.

hassmh Gold

I would certainly agree to the locking of older INACTIVE posts, such as after 90 days or some timeframe, and if someone wants to revive it they can start a new post and link to the old. Ongoing ones should not be locked out, as obviously there is still active discussion occurring and we shouldn't discourage that.

So as not to scatter thoughts about, I also like IAHFLYR's mention of the Branch capability. If someone diverts the discussion off-topic, it should be possible for that person to shift their whole branch to another post. It should not be the onus of OP or moderator to branch it. If the forum doesn't currently allow this, I would expect it not to be hard to enable. This would allow self-policing without burdening the OP who's already likely annoyed about their discussion being hijacked, or the moderators who have enough to do already.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

It would've happened whether or not someone mentioned it.  Why?  Because people are people, and misterchk, you have to admit, you opened the door so wide open, it was humanly impossible not to walk through.   Still, it's a great reminder, misterchk, and thank you, but also to everyone else who posted something off topic and made me laugh today, great job, and thank you too!!

Platinum 28 Reviews

Forgive me but I'm not too sure what you said.  (with the exception of "people are people" which seems to be popular today - and evidently many feel necessary to remind me)

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I said, in other words, "Thanks for the good reminder to self-police and remain on topic, but at the same time, thanks to everyone else too for straying off topic and making me laugh."  I also insinuated that you practically invited people to do so.  Hey c'mon misterchk, you know this crowd! 

And quite honestly, I'm surprised (but still grateful just the same), that the worthy admonition came from - you, jester of all jesters!

Platinum 4 Reviews

Let me guess......someone took your sweet roll this morning?!

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

I've been lurking quite a bit this month, but do particularly remember a thread Re: What's your first question to a hotel you've never stayed in? which was led monumentally off topic by someone who shall remain nameless (giveaway clue it's - misterchk) and at one point deviated into my sleeping habits and the cuddly bear I take to bed each night!

So, the first thing I ask on checkin to a hotel I'm unfamiliar with is asking when the bar closes.

Also, who else is up for TIPPLE in Houston?

Finally, it really looks like Trump could actually take the Republican nomination, so

a) hasn't he been on record as holding a lot of Democrat views in the past?

b) what does Trump actually stand for - in detail?

c) with Hillary mired in scandal is a Trump presidency now actually possible?

Enjoy!

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

I'm sorry, but what was the original question? 

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Thank you misterchk for starting this thread. We do what we can to assist as Community Managers by providing links to existing threads that cover similar topics when conversations go astray, and reminding Insiders that you’re always welcome to start new discussions. As pluto77 mentioned in We Should Try to Stay on Topic, the branching function works great with straying conversations, so we should all start taking more advantage of that tool!

You all are the life and soul of this site, so we hope you share the same sentiment in keeping this a constructive, educational platform, and will certainly continue stepping in where we see fit for keeping conversations on track. We love that you care enough about this forum to make it such a big part of your lives, and want more Insiders to contribute so veterans (like yourself) can offer the support they came here to receive. 

vertol46 Platinum

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.

Location Brand Hotel
    Woodland Hills, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Warner Center Marriott Woodland Hills
    jjett30169 Member

Using all caps is abusive. I do think we should keep this forum focused on travel topics that help members make better choices.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

The purpose of this question was to make the forum more useful, by suggesting that people stay on topic.  A comment that is unrelated to the topic is often unhelpful, regardless of the subject.

BTW many all caps entries are not intended to be abusive, but rather are the result of inadvertently hitting the <Cap Lock> key. 

ramoneur Platinum

as an administrator on the Netherlands'  biggest startrek-forum,

I can tell you that this is the single longest discussion I have ever had

staying on topic should be an ideal, but not be enforced too harshly;

lot's of interesting discussions start in a "derailed" discussion

moreover, sometimes it's hard to objectively determine what is "on topic" and what is not

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...