15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2016 7:10 PM by JGentry Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Uber- Tip or No Tip?

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I was suffering from some confusion regarding Uber, and had to go back and re-read the posts both here and elsewhere.  The confusion rests with the tip that we have plugged into our profile.  In the past 3 weeks, we have used Uber twice locally, and in both instances, the drivers have said that they have never received a tip online.  This concerned me, as I know that both with my account and my husband's, we have opted to provide a tip (in terms of a percentage) with the transaction, to make the service truly cashless.  So today I got online and did some research.  As best as I can determine, here's what I found:

• Levels of Uber -
    • UberX, the low cost Uber
    • UberXL, low cost rides for large groups
    • UberBlack, the original Uber (fancy schmancy)
    • UberSUV, room for everyone

The above Uber services go from lowest to highest, with UberSUV having the highest rates

• There is also UberTaxi, taxi without the hassle (use Uber to request and pay for a taxi, at standard taxi rates, plus $2 booking fee. 20% gratituity is automatically added for the driver by default.)

• Not all levels are available in all cities.  For instance, in WDC, all of the above levels are available.  In my city, only UberX and UberXL are available (and of course, the rates are waaaay lower than WDC. )

• Now this is where it (the gratuity) gets confusing.  In my payment profile, I have set my preferred gratuity to a certain percentage.  I personally have set it low, at 10%, so that at the time of my ride, I can determine the quality of my ride and decide whether or not to provide a cash tip supplement for excellent service.  (This can be good, in order to control tipping too much for bad service, but it can also be bad, if I am out of cash and truly in need of a cashless transaction.  In that case, if the quality is excellent, the driver only gets 10%.)  But I digress...  I think I see the problem.  The gratuity setting in the profile is for TAXI, and when reading more carefully, it further states, "This will apply to TAXI fares only (not UberX, UberSUV, or black, and will be paid to your driver.")  Ah, we thought this gratuity was for all Uber rides, and could not understand why when we inquired, our UberX drivers have stated, "No, I have never received an online tip in the payment."  So since we thought that all this time we were providing an online tip with our payment, but the drivers were saying they were getting no such thing, that something was fishy.  Now I think I see clearly.  We are not being charged for a tip even though we've opted in, in our payment profiles, because we are not using UberTAXI.

• At the same time, Uber advertises, "NO CASH, NO TIP, NO HASSLE.  When you arrive at your destination, just hop out-we'll automatically charge the credit card on file.  And there's no need to tip."

So I'm still a little confused.  "Do we tip, or not?"  It sounds like we don't need to, which is the beauty of cashless.  Is the tip factored into the rates then?  Regardless of what Uber advertises, do drivers expect a tip?  Can anyone set me straight?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Uber- Tip or No Tip?
    vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

pluto77,

You are right...Uber tipping has become a confusing subject.  The Uber Website indicates that "there is no need to tip" and that "You don't need cash when you ride with Uber".   As noted in this article in the NY post last fall some drivers expect it and if you don't tip then you may get a lower rider rating.  Does your Uber driver expect a tip? | New York Post

It would be nice if the app allowed users to add an optional gratuity.  I recently came across an online petition for this this.  Also Uber's rival Lyft apparently has this feature but Lyft is not available in as many places as Uber. Hopefully Uber will eventually add this feature.  I may get into the habit of having some extra cash when traveling for this purpose or utilize Uber Taxi when its available.

Also noteworthy if you have a SPG account and link it to Uber then you can earn points for all of your Uber rides.  I'm hoping Marriott continues this relationship with Uber after the two companies merge.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Thank you, vaboywnder.  That was a good article.  Still, I'm not happy about the confusion, either.  The Uber mothership doesn't seem to care what it's drivers or riders think, with respect to it's decision-making in general.  Perhaps the best way to make our consumer preferences (for less ambiguity, thank very much) known, aside from raising the issue loudly, is to put the squeeze on by going elsewhere.  There are other services out there.  Nothing wrong with a traditional taxi.  In fact, we now have our own go-to taxi guy.  The only reason we didn't use him on the inbound this time was because - he too went on vacation.

So having had time to think about this, here's my position.  Uber advertises no cash, no tip, no hassle.  I'm going with that.  If a driver asserts a request for a tip, I will direct him/her to the website, and if further discussion renders it necessary, I'll suggest that he/she take it up with Uber.  I don't think it will be a problem however, now having examined this.  If I get a less than 5 star passenger rating, shrug, oh well.

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

As of now, I have not tried Uber but have been considering it.  From what I see, it was Uber's intention that it be cashless and no tips.  However Americans seem to feel that they must tip everyone.  Having spent a fair amount of time in Australia, they resent us for ruining it for them.  They not only didn't expect a tip but considered it an insult.  Over the years, Americans would tip and now some tipping is considered acceptable.  I think this is what has happened to Uber.  People just tip and the drivers come to expect it or at least like the extra money.  Now, if it was the intention of Uber that no tips to be given, drivers should not be able to rate a customer down if they don't tip.

And that's the problem.  We as a nation have a "tipping" mentality.  (misterchk, please don't go there.)  Shifting to a "tipless" business model apparently isn't easy for any of us.  It's programmed into our psyche.

Platinum 28 Reviews

pluto77  I promise not to go there if you tell me "where is".

I admitted my motivation for tipping was emotional due to savings.  Furthermore I'm in agreement with you except the "tipping mentality" is not limited to United States - it is world wide - where in many cases the tipping borders on bribery and the gratuity must be known in advance if you get any service at all.

Oh misterchk, your ever crafty, witty mind that never sleeps must have some idea of where "where" is.   Anyway, I have not yet been to any of the places that you've referenced, where tipping borders on bribery and the gratuity must be known in advance to get any service at all.  I don't get out much.

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

And I will not touch it either pluto77!!!!

Like californian I also have not tried Uber even though we were close when the taxi to the airport in Monterey a few weeks ago did not show up for the oh dark thirty (5:15 AM) pick-up for our 6:05 AM flight.  Just before my buddy sent the Uber message or how ever it works a nice chap who was on our flight and stayed the the Marriott offered us a ride. 

That's why we chose to use our taxi guy when this last trip we needed a 5:30am pick up.  We didn't want to leave Uber to chance at that early hour and in our town.

It is definitely Uber's intention to be cashless with no tipping.  I just came across this training video on Uber's You Tube Channel.  About the 9 minute mark it discusses about how riders love a cashless transaction and how Uber Driver's should inform customers who wish to tip that it is not necessary unless the customer insists on the driver taking a tip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10eiFrRqWlI

JGentry Platinum

I thought the point of Uber was no tips. I haven't tipped once and love the service.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

pluto77, thanks for the comprehensive post updating your experience with Uber. When I posted further up in the thread (2014) I had only ridden Uber a total of three times. I have since done twenty-one additional trips using Uber and one or two using Lyft. On all of those trip I have never been made aware of the ability to add tipping in my profile. Where in your profile can you indicate tip preference? Are you using Android or Apple phone? I do agree that it is confusing without a consistent message and as vaboywnder points out in could affect your passenger rating.

vaboywnder, great reminder about the SPG / Uber relationship. I too hope Marriott maintains it post-merger. Important to note that you have to have at least one stay per year (paid, P+C, or points) in order to earn points for Uber rides.

jakeal,

The tipping option can be accessed through your profile when you log into Uber website(option not available on the app) and as pluto77 noted the tips are only valid when you use Uber Taxi.  The default setting is 20% but your able to change it.

Thanks for the info on the SPG/Uber Relationship.  I didn't realize you had to have a SPG stay each calendar year in order to earn points. That is disappointing.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I didn't see a tip option in my profile.  haven't used uber yet and plan to next month . But I have a friend who has used a couple of hundred times and has never tipped and feels it is not expected . Just a comment

It is in the payment section of your profile (on the website, not the mobile app) and it's only for UberTAXI.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...