11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2016 1:46 AM by kharada46 RSS

Portland, Oregon: Top Five

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

My chapter in Hawaii has come to an end. This week, my husband and I are moving back to Portland to be closer to family, and await the impending birth of our first nephew, who is due in April. 

It is bittersweet. Hawaii has been more wonderful than I could have ever imagined. As a very pale girl from Oregon who loves the rain, I really had never considered moving to a tropical island, like many dream about. However, when the work opportunity came up for my husband 2 ½ years ago, we jumped on it.

It’s easy to name all of the things I love about Hawaii, and many of you have seen my last post, but now I need to reexamine my love for Portland and get excited to be back in the great PNW! So here, I will give you the list of somewhat weird reason why I’m excited to be back in Portland, which should also help anyone who plans to travel there soon!

1. Pizza! Hawaii is seriously lacking in delicious pizza. There are two pizza places on Oahu that I even consider to be acceptable. In Portland, there are dozens. Oven and Shaker, Ken’s Artisan Pizza, and Dove Vive are some of my favorites.

2. The best brunch in the entire universe: Podnahs. I won’t say anything else because I don’t want this place to become too popular.

3. Running on bridges. I’m training for my second half marathon in April, and I’m looking forward to training in Portland this year instead of Hawaii. Running along the beaches is nice and all, but it’s also hot! I’m looking forward to cooler evening runs over the many beautiful bridges in the Rose City.

4. The signs at The Florida Room. This bar has the best signs and they make me laugh. I miss them. Here’s an example:

Screen Shot 2016-01-14 at 12.55.50 PM.png

5. SEASONS! This is the main thing I miss. Everyone says that you can never complain in Hawaii because Hello! You live in Hawaii? One of the most beautiful places in the world with ideal weather year round. I guess that could be true if sunny weather was your ideal weather, but it is not mine. I love fall. I love winter. I love being cozy and I love running in the rain.

Ok, this post has successfully made me more excited to move back. If anyone needs any Portland advice, please hit me up!

Sign in with your Marriott Rewards account to comment

or join Marriott Rewards

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Portland, Oregon, USA
  • Re: Portland, Oregon: Top Five
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

It will be wonderful to have you back in Portland as that is one of our favorite spots to visit and the fact my Wife was born in Beaverton.  I know you'll miss Hawaii, but you'll certainly have fond memories of your time in the islands and ya know what, it's not a long flight back!

Other things about the Portland area I'm, sure you'll enjoy being back in touch with:

• Mt. Hood
    • PNW Seafood
    • Pok Pok
    • The Columbia River Gorge
    • Willamette Valley Wines and Oregon Wines in general
    • The Oregon Coast
    • Keeping it Weird

And much more!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Glad to hear this post helped with the move back to Portland, melissaerb. Portland has long been on our list and almost had a stop there on the way to California due to a great deal on SW. Alas, it is not going to happen, but we will get there soon and the food establishments on your list will be on ours!

jakeal Portland is sure a foodie paradise and one thing I forgot to mention is the Food Trucks....pretty good grub.

melissaerb Community Manager Marriott Associate Platinum

You gotta make it out sometime, jakeal! You wont be disappointed.

homoviator Platinum

Shanghai Tunnel. My favorite bar in PDX. I had many drinks as a grad student there before long walks home late at night. A much different life than I now have.

Thanks for the tip homoviator, will have to check that joint out on our next visit to PDX which will be an overnight on our way home from the coast trip we make in the fall.  Soooooo many fun bars in downtown and Pearl District.

curiousone Platinum

Portland is a GREAT town to visit and I really enjoy downtown. I will suggest that you try Grassa, just a couple doors from Blue Star Donuts. Great handmade pasta in a family atmosphere. Definitely need to plan another weekend in Portland, on points, before categories climb next month. 

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

I have always wanted to Grassa! I'm definitely going to go now that you recommend it, curiousone.

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

melissaerb, I'm a bit jealous!  I LOVE Portland just as much as I love Hawaii!  If I had to live anywhere else... Portland would be it.  My top 5 though....

• The seasons + scenery - hey, we don't have apple, cherry, berry (except strawberries on Maui) picking in Hawaii and our waterfalls, while beautiful, can sometimes be a complete let down and hard to get to!  And the air smells so nice up there
    • Tasty n Alder:  one of my favorite restaurants on earth
    • Salt n Straw:  best ice cream EVER?
    • Blue Star Donut:  Hawaii lacks great donuts too; despite what people may think, the popular ones here aren't all that great
    • Friendly people:  to me, the people are friendlier in Portland, the drive WAY better, and the homeless are so nice and non-threatening
    • No sales tax
    • Great mass transit

Ok, so that's more than 5 .  I could just keep going on, and on, and on...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...