20 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2016 8:41 PM by ssindc RSS

What benefits would you like if there was a 4th tier

homoviator Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

If there was a 4th tier created beyond Platinum, what benefits would you like to see? I'd love to see free upgrades at the time of reservation or a one time bonus of 50,000.

What are your thoughts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: What benefits would you like if there was a 4th tier
    cmeyer Platinum

A 100% bonus over the base points comes to mind...

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum

I agree with cmeyer  I suggest if you get a lot of responses, you should start a poll

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

Beyond Platinum:

• !00% bonus points
    • Upgrades at time of reservation
    • Upgrade to Suites at resorts
    • No resort fees
    • Free or reduced parking rates
    • Coupon for free breakfast at resorts similar to the option you get when the CL is closed on weekends
    • Free wine/beer/drinks in CL either by showing the Attendant your 4th tier card or taken off bill at check-out

I believe some or most of these should already be made available to Platinum Elites or at least Lifetime Platinum's.

hassmh Gold

Given how easy it is to get additional nights (rollover, credit card spend, etc), I would not expect all that from one tier up. If they did 2 additional tiers, one with 75% and another with 100% bonus points, and maybe one or two additional perks at the next tier up from plat, and one or two more perks above that at the top, depending on the perks I think they'd see some additional revenue from plats striving for those higher tiers. Probably more beneficial to them to make higher Lifetime status perks, so that LTP is not a jump off point to start staying with other chains, especially if they status match Plat to their own top tier, since Plat perks are then guaranteed for life.

I usually go with the concept of dream big as it doesn't cost anything!!

hassmh Gold

True, but developing a 4th/5th tier strategy to propose to Marriott that would provide desirable benefits to members and clear additional revenue to Marriott would be the key to having a chance at REALIZING that dream!

(I know, it's been established Marriott does not listen to what we have to say here, but if you can dream big, so can I!)

I'd agree with your list as possible 5th tier. A 4th tier I would expect to be 75% bonus points, and from your list perhaps no resort fees and free parking. Upgrade at time of reservation would be a nice perk as well for 4th tier. The others I would put into a 4th (or 5th) tier Lifetime status, as a perk of being Lifetime to ensure an ongoing revenue stream from long-time loyal guests rather than "encouraging" them to stay elsewhere with no further perks to attain beyond LTP.

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR  you promised me you wouldn't drink this early in the afternoon.

homoviator Platinum

You've thought of this before. It seems to just roll off of your fingers onto the page.

Are you attempting to flatter me?   Oh yes, these type of things have been kicked around here for some time now, not so much the idea of a higher set of tiers as much as just providing Platinum's and Lifetime Platinum members a bit more.  Though I'd love to take full credit for them, I can only claim one of them as something of my own device yet sure others have thought of it numerous times and that would be the free drinks in the CL or bar if the CL is closed.

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Oh, no, homoviator, now you're pushing our buttons!!!

In all seriousness, however, this one seems (mind-blowing-ly simple and obvious and appropriate), but it never seems to get much traction.  Still, from deep in the archives, here goes: Flexible rewards for Marriott's best customers?

Sadly, this is one glaring, discrete example of why Marriott is periodically criticized in comparison to Hilton Honors.  For example, I think it was this issue - more than any other - that cost us pingreeman, but he can speak for himself if he's still lurking out there...

Also, if you read through that thread, this is a good example of how difficult NathalieF's job is - [he or] she can only parrot the company policy, but, apparently, she's not vested with sufficient gravitas such that the right folks in leadership/management/customer stewardship would listen to the Insiders community.

I'm not disagreeing with anything that the others, including IAHFLYR, suggest - and those perks would be nice, but this one perk would: (1) cost Marriott basically nothing; (2) seems calculated to appeal to the folks who would most benefit from it; (3) would resolve a long-running frustration rampant among Marriott's best, biggest spending, most valued customers, and (4) engender the kind of brand loyalty that money just can't buy.  What's not to like?

Hope springs eternal.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I was thinking along the same lines of even, instead of instituting a new tier, just provide PP's with some of the additional perks listed in this thread.  Place more significance there, since by many accounts, there seems to be very little difference in terms of benefits between PP's and P's/LPE's.  Oh, which may even provoke the question, if Marriott had to choose to give some sort of preferential treatment between P's and LPE's, which status would garner the higher preference, or should they receive the same treatment?  (What would the metric be?)

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

ssindc Yes - I am still lurking out here. The link to my earlier post is just as appropriate today as the day I posted it. Thanks for linking it to this discussion.

Unfortunately, I doubt I will ever earn PP status again - and expect a GUARANTEED SUITE as a PP as I have settled for LTP and been burning nights at HH (since leaving MR in early 2013, I have +/- 650 paid Hilton nights and almost 2M HH points). As I have lamented on this site before, I earn all these MR or HH points faster than I can use them up (though I have had but one paid night at Marriott since 01/2013, I still have nearly 800K in points) so I would GLADLY burn additional points to guarantee a suite at booking. This is why I switched to HH - I can use points to guarantee a suite at the time of booking the room on points.

It boils down to this - HH offers me a way to use my points that MR does not. I do not really care about which points are easier to earn or which program has a higher value per point. It is irrelevant when I earn 3X of what I spend. This is why I do not care much about annual category changes - so what if they go up 10%, I have so many points accumulated it really does not matter to me.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Great topic, homoviator. Of note - many of the ideas raised above already are available with other hotel programs.

100% point bonus - IHG Spire

Confirmed room upgrades - Hyatt Diamond (4x year), SPG Platinum Preferred (10 after staying 50 nights)

Breakfast at resorts - Hyatt Diamond

And while not for elite members only . . . Marriott is just now playing catch-up when it comes to Points + Cash as Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, and Starwood have all offered this already.

Message was edited by: jakeal

Platinum 28 Reviews

I'm sure thrilled that combined program  is far in the future.  This subject is getting a good run.....anti depressants will be available to all members when the initial combined program materializes.

Don't worry about a thing though, I will do my best to come up with new topics which I'm confident will be of interest:

April 2017 - why did they change the soap again

May 2017 - do you ever get upgraded at a hotel in Alabama

June 2017 - (after most have forgotten) why in the world doesn't CL give us breakfast

More to come - be patient my children

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Interesting topic, homoviator! This is obviously one that many of our veterans here have considered -Thanks everyone for providing your thoughts.

peymanagement Platinum

One observation; I know the hotel chain is of US origin, but its business plan clearly is expanding outside the US,  getting status outside the US is not nearly as easy as in the US,

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Hey, peymanagement, can you say more on the domestic-international distinction?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but Marriott's global relationships are (in my household) the biggest selling point for our loyalty.  We've burned our points on memorable family vacations in, among places, Canada, China, England, France, Germany, Italy, Spain.... And we've got a long bucket list to work through.... 

In any event,

• I've found that - if anything - my Marriott status gets me more perks in non-US properties; and
      • we've consistently enjoyed access to free rooms at wonderful properties abroad....

Sorry if I misunderstood your point....  Thanks for clarifying.

peymanagement Platinum

Hi and thanks for your request for clarification. The reason that you see more perks in the non US properties is because they see fewer  top tier customers who are domestic to that country or region. That is because there are fewer ways to qualify for top tier without actually staying in a hotel room for non US members. For example the credit card benefits are less in the UK and Canada, I believe they are non existent in most other countries.

We outside the US struggle to keep our status. I am not complaining, as when I go to a local property, I am often the only plat staying and get great benefits, When I stay at MIA or SFO Airport the front desk person very nicely explains that half the hotel is filled wit plat/gold that night.

When I Get to Europe it is even better.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...