19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2016 8:46 AM by iahflyr RSS

How long do posts get monitored?

flyingsouth Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I remember when this site got hacked and all sorts of odd messages started popping up, so I do understand that posts from new members need to be monitored.  My question is for how long?  What is the magic number of posts needed?  I joined last summer, not sure how many posts I have made but I have 47 credits.  The problem is that by the time a comment is posted, the statement may be irrelevant to current discussion or it gets buried deep in the thread or the thread has already died out.  This makes it pretty hard for new members to take part in conversations. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: How long do posts get monitored?
    vertol46 Platinum

I think my posts were delayed for about 150 or so credits. Not sure the formula, but it's not forever.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

flyingsouth Platinum

Thanks, vertol46.  That seems like a lot of activity to prove you aren't a computer or on a destructive rant.

jakeal Gold 15 Reviews

Great question flyingsouth. I noticed when you posted on the Re: Driving new and (prolonged) participation thread that it showed in my email as if the reply was coming from lindseyh. I have had similar occurences on other posts where when it comes through in my email it looks like one of the moderators is posting, but when reading on the actual site it is clear it is actually someone else. I am hoping one of the moderators or NathalieF can answer your question.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

Many of those hacked in posts were not even in English . I would think by a few weeks it would become apparent that posters are not hackers 

flyingsouth Platinum

I agree, jerryl.

flyingsouth Platinum

Thanks for tagging them, jakeal.  Btw, newbie question, but what do you do to tag someone?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

flyingsouth,

In order to "tag" someone that will ensure they get notified in their "inbox" here on Insiders you just use the @ symbol first and then start typing their screen name.  So using you as the example it comes out @flyingsouth and as you type along a window pops up where you will find the screen name you're searching for.  After you click on that name it will be highlighted in blue as as you see your name at the top of this posting.  

There are some names with hyphens or underscores that just don't seem to work for whatever reason and I have yet to figure out how to get around that issue.

flyingsouth Platinum

Thanks IAHFLYR!  I thought I had tried that earlier, but just ended up with @ before someone's name.  Oh, big news!  My ankle bracelet has been removed and I am out of "moderation jail"!  (hassmh's phrase)

hassmh Gold

Congratulations! I think I had around 40 or so credits before I was released, but I don't recall specifically. I don't think it has anything to do with number of credits, but rather when a moderator gets around to clearing you. I was on the verge of making a similar post to this when I was released, so glad that you have posted. Perhaps a moderator will be kind enough to provide some insight, though if there are specific requirements they will keep it vague for continued security purposes.

Sweet news, congrats on joining the rest of us (well some of us) who are on parole.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi all!  Here to shed some light.    There were spammers on the site previously and in efforts to make sure we didn't run into the same issues, we had changed some security settings.  One of the side effects has been newer members and members who haven't made posts in a while are having their contributions go through our moderation queue.    Please do not think we are putting you in jail or you are in trouble for your past comments, it is merely a security setting.

flyingsouth Platinum

carat I remember the spammers, and understand why security measures need to be in place.  It just seemed like a long time to be screened.  I'm curious what requirements need to be met (# of posts total, # of posts in certain amount of time, length of membership time, etc.) in order to post without delay?

btw- thank you for approving me

hassmh Gold

Hi carat,

I understand the need for security and moderating to prevent such problems; the "moderation jail" term was meant somewhat sarcastically, but flyingsouth and others relate because of how it feels when trying to contribute and getting very harsh messages from the system and not understanding the meaning. I'm sure you personally do not have control over them, and no offense was intended to the moderation staff by my comments.

I have not had a chance yet, but intended to start a discussion about some of the technical difficulties with this site that might be addressed, and the messages received by new users is one of those topics I had in mind. Being led to believe there is a system error, or possibly offensive material when trying to make a post, when in reality it is being moderated due to being a new poster is very off-putting and could easily turn away newcomers from the community.

Very well put hassmh, I do hope you will start the discussion of the tech issues not only on this site, but what you and others find antiquated with Marriott.com!

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

It might help to know that we all went through this. When the spam attack took over the site, everyone had security settings reset. Regular contributors were the first to be "set free," but even that took a little while.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

yes I remember and the tally for total lifetime credits still carries all those spammers

hassmh Gold

It is nice to know that everyone felt some pain, but it was easier for those who lived through it and likely were informed of the issues and solutions, whereas new users who were not there have no idea what is wrong when they try to post something and get error messages because their posts are going into the moderation queue. I wish I had screenshots of the messages I received, as it would make the discussion easier, but suffice to say they were far from clear about what was happening once submitted.

It could be a simple technical glitch, I'm not sure, but would be much easier to understand a message such as "As a newer member of the community, your post must be approved by a moderator prior to being shown in order to prevent spamming." Instead a red box with a message indicating more of a system error is encountered, with no mention of it being moderated. I resubmitted posts multiple times before figuring this out.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Makes sense. Sometimes even those of us who are not being moderated get the same message. Trouble is when we post multiple times, the post goes up multiple times. If you ever see three identical messages in a row, that's why. Trouble is we don't know until afterwards that we've just posted the same things several times. I go back and delete the duplicates, though not everyone does.

Point is there are definitely technical issues happening and not just to new users. You are right to suggest the mechanism "explaining" what went wrong is inadequate. Like you, it took me a few tries before I figured it out.

hassmh Gold

Sorry to hear it's not just new folks having problems; I suppose I just don't post enough to have seen it since my recent "parole"

I was fairly sure it was due to the moderation queue, as both times it was a new discussion I initiated that I experienced the problem with error messages; when replying to others' posts the responses just wouldn't show up until approved. Could just be coincidence on the new discussion errors, however, I'll have to find some good reasons to start some new discussions to test it out.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...