19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2016 5:34 PM by greenit RSS

Lifetime Platinum - downgrade?

pancake2000 Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Just received my 2016 card.  Instead of Platinum Premier, which I have been for the last 5 years, my card is Platinum Elite Lifetime.  Is this a downgrade - i.e. a soft landing and I am being cut?  From what I have read, Lifetime Platinum is not even on the same scale as Platinum as far as upgrades, late checkouts, etc.  I am still accruing stays at Marriott and easily qualified for Platinum last year.  Other chains have matched my loyalty, and perhaps I should stop prioritizing my stays with Marriott and give the other chains my business.  I have gone out of my way the past 13 years to stay at Marriott and am disappointed that they have chosen to disrespect my loyalty by giving me a lower status, which apparently is considered low man on the totem pole.  there would be no benefit to continue staying with Marriott then for reduced benefits.  Am i correct to presume that one cannot be Platinum Premier and Lifetime Platinum at the same time? 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Lifetime Platinum - downgrade?
    Platinum

I am PP and Lifetime Plat. Haven't looked at (or maybe even rec'd) my latest physical card, but my card image on the mobile app says Platinum Premier 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

peymanagement Platinum

The one thing that I have noticed since being given the Hilton Diamond is that Hilton seems to communicate more than Marriott. I have had at least 4 e mails this year welcoming me to Diamond, telling me what it means, when it expires, tips to utilize my diamond status, when it expires.

At this point I have not heard anything from Marriott of a individual nature with respect to my status.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

that's an interesting observation . Since I no longer get to platinum through nights I also got a lifetime platinum card several years ago and haven't heard from them since.

Platinum 28 Reviews

I'm convinced that I achieved Lifetime Status so they could save money sending me a new card every year.

gloabtrotter Platinum

Hilton couldn't organize a **** up in a pub, to use a British expression, when it comes to lifetime status.  With Marriott, I know how many lifetime nights and points I have collected.  When Hilton launched their lifetime program last year, I inquired how many lifetime nights and how many Diamond years I had with them.  I got 4 different answers from 4 different people. 

gloabtrotter Platinum

oh great, MR thinks its too crass to use the word P I S S, so they censored it out of my pervious post.  Perhaps it is too refined a hotel chain for me to be staying at, if my choice of words needs to be censored by them.

homoviator Platinum

I've occasionally talked to employees about this, the difference to them between lifetime platinum and platinum premier.  Honestly, I don't think most of them know the difference.  So I doubt you are as low on the totem pole as you might think.

Currently, I'm both Hilton Diamond or platinum or whatever and Marriott Platinium.  Rather than "thank you" emails or notes that sometimes appear in my room, I'd just rather have points or upgrades--at the time of the reservation.  I'm fine with not getting emails from Marriott or Hilton for that matter. 

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Likely what has happened is that you no longer qualify at Premier Platinum. There have been numerous threads discussing the unpublished criteria for being PP. It is generally understood to be the top 3% of Platinum elites (it seems to be a combination of nights and dollars spent). 

Lifetime Platinum is no different from Platinum with one exception. You no longer have to reach 75 nights each year to retain your status.

So it's possible you were downgraded from Premier Platinum to Platinum. As a Lifetime Platinum, you won't drop any lower regardless of how many (or how few) nights you earn each year. As to whether you could be both Lifetime Platinum and Premier Platinum at the same time, the answer is yes. Someone who has reached LTP and is also in the to 3% of Platinums for the year would be both, though the card would probably say Premier Platinum.

Platinum

I can confirm that I am both PP and LTP and my card does show PP

jporter5408 Platinum 2 Reviews

When I was still PP and PLT Lifetime my card and status reflected PP

Now new card is PLT Lifetime 

Platinum

My digital card shows PP, but not LTP (or PLT as you out it) and I'm both. So, yes, seems you've been downgraded (not that you'll be able to tell the diff). I plan to ask the associate in my lobby tonight what they are told about Lifetime vs PP

jporter5408 Platinum 2 Reviews

I did that exact same thing last week and was told all they "see" is PLT

Platinum

ok, well when I check it - I get a card that lists the number of current points and PP status, so it could be another random Marriott IT/Mgmt situation

lindseyh Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Couldn't have said it any better than this, bejacob. Thanks for the helpful response.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

I Agree when I was dropped from PP I just got a new card with LP 

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

Upon check in, the front desk monitor reads EXACTLY the same if you are P, PP, or LTP, i.e., all are showing "Platinum" as the member's status. Therefore, from a front desk perspective, receiving upgrades, concierge floor access, upgrades, etc. are equally spread over the three Ps.

This is why I always would mention upon check in that I was PP - and to see if the front desk person knew the difference (my way of educating the staff ) to recognize the achievement and then hope to trump the other Ps in getting perks.

gloabtrotter Platinum

My understanding is the Platinum Premier is bestowed on the highest spending x% (I believe it is 3%) of Platinums for any given year.  It is very possibly you just didn't fall into that 3% last year.  Get over it.  Does your self worth really depend on being Platinum Premier????

donethat Platinum 5 Reviews

Well said, as most you above, I was PP for many years, when my travel was cut due to dealing w/ cancer, I received my LP card.  After 20 years of business travel, it's just not that much fun..............happy to be home.

greenit Platinum 4 Reviews

IT IS ALIVE!  Total points is back online

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...