5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2014 12:05 AM by kellieautumn RSS

Wentworth Spa - not worth it

pltnmprincess Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I decided to treat myself today to a pedicure at the spa.  By the time it was all said and done it cost almost $100 - quite an expensive pedicure.  Because of the price and because of my previous experiences with spas in Marriott hotels, I had pretty high expectations of what this experience should be.  Unfortunately they were not met.

The actual pedi service itself wasnt too bad, the treatments, the massage, the parafin were all pretty nice, but the nails were trimmed too short and crooked and the polish color selection is limited.  When I was asked to choose a color, I couldnt decide because I didnt like any of them.  Out of the 50 color choices, 45 were some shade of red/pink.  I actually had some of my own polish with me (but a cheap brand that I bought as an experiment) and that's what they used.  She put the polish on, and I wasnt quite happy with the result, but I didnt want to say anything so I left.  When I got to the room to show my husband he commented on what a poor job they did and urged me to call them to have it fixed.  They were quite responsive in trying to make sure I was happy so I give them credit for that, but as it turns out the basic problem was with how the nails were trimmed in the first place, and we cant go any shorter so I am stuck.  They did offer to do an extra treatment on my feet for no charge.

When I got back to the room after the 2nd try with my feet I noticed my jaw muscles were extremely sore - so much for my relaxing spa experience.

Another problem with the spa was they dont have herbal tea.  I never heard of that before!  They have regular black tea or decaf black tea - that's it.  They were able to go to the kitchen and get some chamomile tea for me, but how could a spa not offer herbal tea?

For the price and the frustration this spa experience was not worth it.

• Re: Wentworth Spa-Get a Massage Instead
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Princess,

Regrets that a disappointing pedicure overshadowed and perhaps dominated your recent experience at Marriott's Wentworth-by-the-Sea. 

Ironically, New Hampshire is among a handful of states that enforces very strict educational and experience requirements for massage therapists.  Based upon your report, requirements for pedicurists appear lax if non-existent. When my wife and I were there nearly a year ago, we enjoyed receiving Swedish massages and it was worth every penny. 

Btw:  Did you stay in the main hotel or the little Harbor Suites?  How was your guest/dining experience overall?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Wentworth Spa - not worth it
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

New Hampshire does require licensing of manicurists, and holds them to a high standard when tested according to the State's web site

But, like every other regulated entity the real problem comes with enforcement.  My own experience with barbers is that there are plenty of people working in the trade who engage in illegal and potentially dangerous practices while cutting hair!  My own barber, who has a full cosmetology license and I have discussed these fly-by-night practices at great length over the years.

Caveat emptor!  Make sure you see a state license visibly displayed and ask questions of the person before you sign up for anything.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pltnmprincess Platinum

TJC,

We stayed in the main hotel.  I have to say I was expecting a "Wardman Park-like" experience, but that didn't happen.  It was nice, but a few disappointing things happened even before the spa appointment that left me underwhelmed.  I am planning on posting a full report soon.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I was expecting a "Wardman Park-like" experience, but that didn't happen."

With it's park-like gardens, Marriott's Wardman Park in DC is a totally different type of hotel than Wentworth-by-the-Sea.  Aside from the pedicure experience, no wonder there's disappointment!

With the exception of Vermont which borders on an inland sea, Lake Champlain, the most popular destinations in New England are close to or on the seacoast or on an estuary that leads to the ocean.  True to it's name, the Wentworth-by-the-Sea' focuses on delivering an experience authentic to it's seacost environment and roots as one of the Historic Hotels of America. 

The franchise that owns Wentworth, Ocean Properties operates several hotels under the major brands including Marriott, Hilton and Westin. Marriott awarded the franchise a Best New Product Award in 2003 upon opening Wentworth.  They are approaching their 7th year in operation, and it maybe a year of bumpy transition.  I look forward to a candid and full report. 

kellieautumn Gold

ive been dying to stat here

the hotel looks amazing and i need to treat myself

sorry about your experience

other then that what do u think of hotel

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...