16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2016 9:40 AM by clebert RSS

Are Plug-In Panels Going Away?

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Last weekend eclektech and I made a trip to Northern Virginia and stayed at the Falls Church Fairview Park Marriott.  We have stayed at this property many times in the past and it is one of our favorites.  Last fall the rooms at this hotel were renovated and this was the first time we have had the opportunity to stay here since the renovation.   The newly renovated rooms were very nice but no longer featured the "Plug In Panel" like the one pictured here:

pluginpanel.jpg

I have always enjoyed the plug in panels as a easy means of streaming videos to the hotel tv.  I was wondering if others have noticed that these panels are disappearing from properties that have had renovations. Are Plug-In Panels Going Away?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Falls Church, Virginia, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park
  • Re: Are Plug-In Panels Going Away?
    Platinum

I don't know if they are going away, but most of the Marriott properties I stay in now don't block you from streaming movies via HDMI, so I just travel with an HDMI cable. All of the other ports on the panels are pretty dated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

True...if Marriott decides to keep plug in panels (and I hope they do) they should probably update them.

This hotel had the TV wall mounted which made getting to HDMI ports a little more difficult.  There was just enough room to squeeze my hand back there to plug a cable in and then I found I wasn't able to switch the input to HDMI.  After a quick google search I found this article which showed me how to switch inputs to HDMI.

Siliconfish: Tip for switching video inputs on the hotel TV

kharada46 Alumni Steward Gold 10 Reviews

Not that I've noticed vaboywnder, but I wouldn't be surprised, especially since Marriott is partnering with Netflix:  Marriott Hotels Becomes First To Offer Netflix On Guest Room Televisions - Marriott News Center

I have yet to see this functionality, but it's something that I'm looking forward to.  To me, though, as long as they allow us to plug-in via HDMI directly to the TV and provide adequate power outlets, then it really doesn't matter to me.  If I think I'm going to have some down time, I like to bring along a Roku or AppleTV anyhow

Platinum

Hmmm---so they had a handful of participating hotels in June 2015 when the article came out...

I'd be interested to know if the 2015 projection is even close, and if they are on track for 2016. Here's the quote from the article kharada46

mentioned above:

The brand plans to expand Netflix to 100 of its properties by the end of 2015, and to nearly all of its more than 300 properties in the U.S. by the end of 2016

Something tells me this deal didn't go well/died or we would have heard more about it, but  I'd love to be wrong. carat maybe you know? NathalieF ?

That's an excellent point dansplan, didn't really consider that.  I too would like to know the status of this project.  I wonder if rollout ceased/is taking long because the hotels' networks can't handle the data load?

Yeah I would be curious if the Netflix deal is still in place.  I purchased a Roku Stick several months ago and take it with me on all my trips now.  It's the perfect portable streaming device.  It also gives me the capability to cast from my Android Phone or iPad.  Just keep in mind that if you take your own streaming device to a hotel you may need a separate device to bridge the wireless signal to it since streaming devices are not able to accept "terms and conditions" of a new wireless connection.  Here is an article about "Hoo Too" devices that can do this:

http://www.omerkhan.com/how-to-connect-roku-to-hotel-wifi/

Another great point vaboywnder!  That's probably better than lugging around my Roku 3 .  I've been meaning to pickup an Airport Express from Apple for that very reason, but never remember to... haha

Platinum

You can also use your laptop as a wifi hotspot so you don't have to invest in or carry around another devlce. Here's an example of how to connect a Google Chromecast to a hotel network using software called Connectify:

Ask HTG: How Can I Use My Google Chromecast In a Hotel Room?

This is true too dansplan.  Guess I didn't consider that as my computer is, well, old.  Though it has an 802.11n card built in, it's network speed are usually slower than what my phone can catch. 

Platinum

Here's an interesting article with a bit of hands on Netflix at Marriott hotel from PC Magazine

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2487505,00.asp

Considering other than the article below, I can't find anything later than July 2015 on the subject, seems like the deal very well may have died. If not, I think Marriott would be featuring it prominently on their websites

Update on December 8, 2015, by Mike Epstein: Gaylord Hotels, part of Marriott International, announced that they’ve finished integrating a new in-house hospitality system from Enseo across their properties. The Enseo system combines standard hotel TV offerings with over-the-top (OTT) smart TV-style apps, including Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Pandora, and Crackle, in every room. The system also allows guests to play audio through their room’s TV by connecting their smartphones or other devices via Bluetooth. Guests will need to have their own subscriptions to stream from the apps.

enseo-gaylord-hotels

The news follows recent announcement from sister brand, Marriott Hotels, which started offering Netflix streaming at select properties. Gaylord, which manages five properties that specialize in hosting corporate events, including the Gaylord National in Washington D.C., the Gaylord Opryland in Nashville, the Gaylord Palms Resort in Kissimmee, Florida, and the Gaylord Texan in the greater Dallas/Fort Worth area, is using a different implementation (each brand in Marriott’s portfolio operates separately), from Enseo, which puts an Apple TV-like interface on in-room televisions and goes beyond just Netflix. Enseo’s platform uses the properties’ existing coaxial wiring, which allows the the system to handle other IT functions like hotel information, guest check-out, etc.

Enseo says Gaylord is the first hospitality brand to utilize the platform across all of its properties. According to the hospitality integrator, Gaylord guests guests are watching OTT streaming apps for more than 1,400 hours a day.

carat Community Manager Marriott Associate Silver

Hi all!  I took a look into this and have found out that the Plug-In Panels will be slowly disappearing as streaming and handheld devices become more popular.  But it looks like you all already knew that. 

Platinum

So we should consider this question as answered, right?

carat,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.  I'm a little disappointed that the panels are going away instead of being upgraded for the newer technology.  I think most individuals would rather watch streaming videos on the larger screen.  I do like the idea of the Gaylord Enseo system that dansplan posted about which gives the hotel customer the option of streaming directly from Netlix, Hulu, and YouTube.  Hopefully something like that will roll out to other Marriott properties.

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Just today I saw this at the Columbus airport Marriott.

panel.jpg

Plug-in panel sitting on the desk about three feet to the left of the television. They are still out there even if they are soon to disappear. Not that I've ever used one other than to charge a device or power up my laptop. In fact, I rarely even turn on the television in my room.

That's interesting...never seen one sitting on a desk like that.  I think we will see them phased out with hotel remodels.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

Saw the plug ins below at Renaissance Stapleton Denver.  Also saw the Netflix TV integration at Essex House, and it worked great and resulted in my staying up all night watching House of Cards

2015-06-13 06.36.17.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...