10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2016 11:17 AM by cjmarriott RSS

Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort Thoughts

bktravel Platinum 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I will be taking my wide on a trip to Myrtle Beach in April for a weekend.  We are staying at the Marriott Resort at the Grande Dunes.  I am wondering a couple of things about the property (1) what is the quality and service of the spa (2) how are the restaurant options on site (3) what is there to do that is walking distance from the resort and (4) other tips to maximize our time there.  Any information is appreciated.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
  • Re: Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort Thoughts
    nyguy Platinum 1 Reviews

Excellent property good spa also great pool area Extremely friendly and courteous Marriott employees. Dining although is limited. However there are bountiful restaurants a short car drive from the hotel. Again nothing to do in walking distance everything is a car ride. Shopping is all over the area a few outlet malls one even has a North Face Store.

would not recommend going to the theater shows.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

It's been a few years since I stayed at this property but I agree with nyguy.  This is an excellent property with large indoor & outdoor pools. The spa is very nice and the locker rooms are reserved for spa guests only. Other than the pool and beach there is not much else to do onsite.  You will definitely need a car to get around to restaurants and other attractions.  Enjoy your trip!

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

bktravel

Ditto to both responses above.  You cannot go wrong at this first-class property.  Although you cannot realistically walk to off site attractions, they are 5-10 minute drive away.  There's a fine on-site restaurant in the hotel and the spa is great.  It is also adjacent to the Marriott Vacation Club where there are also many activities.  It's right on the ocean with a great beach, multiple pools, good food and a lot of fun.  Enjoy.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

In reply to your question regarding Marriott Resort Hotel, North Myrtle Beach, SC, here are a few comments:

We normally drive from TN to Columbia, SC (I-20) and then to Florence, taking I-95 North and exiting at Hwy 501 (Myrtle Beach sign), by-passing Marion, south toward Conway, then by-passing Conway on Hwy. 22, which leads you directly to North Myrtle Beach. Exit on Hwy 17 South toward Myrtle Beach and you'll see exit to Marriott Ocean Watch at Grand Dunes on left. You can see the Marriott towering above the tree line. I took the photo below from our Marriott Vacation Club villa recently. The hotel is on the right; one of five villa high rises, left.

MVBC - Litchfield Beach 034.jpg

Regarding restaurants, the buffet breakfast in the hotel is wonderful, and free for Platinum members. Also, the Cove Restaurant at poolside is quite nice for lunch, or upstairs lounge for dinner.

IMG_0393.JPG

If you'd like a traditional, Carolina fish treat, drive south on Hwy 17, toward Myrtle Beach and exit over to beach road before you arrive at M.B., and eat at Sea Captain's House. Call ahead for reservations, and go before 6:00; or if you prefer  less expensive meal, go for lunch.MVBC - Litchfield Beach 012.jpg

The hotel offers many amenities, including multiple swimming pools, but weather might not be warm enough for this in April. However, just sitting out by the pool, or taking a nap in one of the hammocks, or sitting on the beach in hotel-provided chairs and umbrellas, are also quite nice.

Family Vacation - 12 008.jpg

There's on-site parking adjacent to the hotel, and I'd suggest self parking, which is less expensive. The downstairs exercise room and spa are well equipped.

Hope this is helpful. We've stayed here multiple times and are returning for villa stay in late May, and have a beach front, 2 BR villa reservation for last week in January, 2017.

cle Platinum

JUst curious, how was it that you received free breakfast? I am a platinum elite member and i called the property and they said they do not offer free breakfast even for platinum members. Just wondering if i needed to do something different to get it. Thank you for your help!

highmaintenance13 Gold 3 Reviews

@cle, I just returned from there on Thrusday.  I am gold and did't receive any benefits such as free breakfast, however, while standing at the receptionist desk, one of the representatives asked a platninum guest if they wanted the points or free gift.  The guest wasn't familiar with the program and needed yo ask her husband. I will respond about my trip later in another post.

fschumpert Platinum 22 Reviews

The Marriott Ocean Watch Hotel at North Myrtle Beach is a resort hotel, and some of these properties do not offer Platinum elite free breakfasts. It depends on front desk clerks, and/or manager. During my last stay there with my wife, I didn't receive free breakfast offer - even though they provided a beach front room upgrade - but after I showed them my Marriott Reward status and Platinum Elite membership, they granted me two free breakfasts for two nights. It doesn't hurt to ask sometimes! By the way, the same is true at some Marriott franchise properties, such as the Marriott Convention Center, Augusta, GA. They did not offer free breakfasts until I asked.

highmaintenance13 Gold 3 Reviews

@bktravel, I am thinking of staying at this hotel as well, how was your trip?

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Marriott hotel is right next to Grand Dunes (a MVCI property).  So restaurant there is closest.  Others definitely driving distance.  I remember a Ruth's Chris a short drive away.

Shows at the theaters are family oriented.  Pretty decent talent.

Whole area is great for family.

cjmarriott Silver 1 Reviews

bktravel,

I hope you had a positive experience.  I love this resort.  Actually, I wrote a full post on it over a year ago. I covered a lot of features except the Spa. I heard that they will be renovating starting in November 2016; therefore,  it will be even better next year.  I am looking forward to vacationing there in 2017.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...