32 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2016 8:55 AM by iahflyr RSS

Will other Marriott properties follow suit?

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I just returned from a three night stay at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Crystal City.  I always enjoy this hotel and it has one of my favorite lounges but what I found out makes it stellar.  Sunday evening I went to the lounge and Elizabeth greeted me in her usual friendly manner.  The offerings that night included tabouli salad, pita wedges, cheese cubes, Moroccan chicken wings, tzatziki, a yummy chocolate cake and cookies.

I had my usual two glasses of wine and I saw the Honor Bar sign near the wine but no slips to fill out the amount of wine consumed. When I was ready to leave I asked Elizabeth where the honor bar slips were and she said the alcohol was free now!!!!!!  Free; as in no charge, gratis, complimentary, costless, on the house, freebies, a hand out. Get my drift?  I was pleased.  Same thing Monday evening so it wasn’t just a one night fluke.  And I didn’t make a pig out of myself but rather had my usual two glasses of wine; heck I could’ve consumed a whole bottle; maybe next time!

Has anyone else seen this? I sure hope it is a sign of things to come at other Marriott lounges.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Will other Marriott properties follow suit?
    iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

I have seen it before, but only I think because of who the Attendant was and how often I stayed at this particular hotel. Sure hope it is Marriott wide as that would certainly be a wonderful addition.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Platinum 28 Reviews

Just out of curiosity (never heard of it) is Crystal City on this planet?

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Hey there misterchk Crystal City is definitely on planet Earth, just right outside of Washington DC in Arlington County, VA.  I love DC but when my favorite downtown hotels (The Mayflower and The Courtyard on 9th and F) are too expensive I stay in Crystal City.  The old folk's rate last weekend was 104 for two nights and then it went down to 89 for the third night.  There is direct Metro access which makes it easy to get to downtown DC.

Platinum 28 Reviews

insidenji  Thanks my dear.  I don't get out much and really never heard of CC.  In a few more years I'll be able to take advantage of those rates also - can't wait

peymanagement Platinum

good recommendation, thanks.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

and you can walk using underground to a lot of restaurants. I always stayed at this hotel when I went to Dc on business. 

homoviator Platinum

putting this on my shortlist now for future DC visits. I am fond of the area. I also like the Marriott by the Key Bridge. They make it very easy to get to downtown DC

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Crystal City is within the shadow of Reagan National Airport.  I actually worked there for the last 9 1/2 years of my career at the US Patent and Trademark Office.  It is about 4 miles from the White House and about a mile from the Pentagon.

It was from a 10th floor office in CC that I saw the smoke rising from the Pentagon on 9/11.

The complex has an enormous collection of office buildings, Hotels, restaurants, and apartments.  BTW CC houses at least a half dozen Marriott hotels.  I'm hoping to get away for a two day break next month and stay at CC Gateway Marriott.  The hotel is being most accommodating and will allow me to have breakfast in the dining room, ordering from the menu, since my Drs. have cautioned me not to eat from buffets until chemo is over.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Thanks phctourist for the additional info for those not familiar with Crystal City.  I noticed you said something about chemo and I wanted to say Good Luck to you and I hope all turns out well.  It doesn't surprise me the Gateway hotel staff is accommodating, they are some of my very favorites and always treat me well.

Thanks for your wishes.  I actually have been posting about my illness for a couple of months.  My insider friends have been most gracious with their good wishes, even (or should I say especially) misterchk.  Believe me, this sort of support is helpful,

Interestingly, I kind of signed off Insiders in late Dec. because I was going to be unavailable for travel for four months, or more.  It turned out that this site has made vicarious travel available as I read about my friends and their travel  experiences. Other Insiders that have been especially supportive have included brightlybob  IAHFLYR  lakeshore and others who don't come immediately to mind.

I seem to be on the mend and next Friday I will have a Pet scan to assess progress!

Glad to have been a small part of your treatment phctourist, your upbeat attitude and excellent updates to your health has been wonderful to read.  God bless you and your continued progress toward being totally free soon!

The specified item was not found. I  have a Pet scan on Friday that should give me a good idea of progress.  Should I bring my dog or my fish.  It's not a cat scan so I know not to  bring her.

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

Good one ☺️  I think I'd take the dog & fish. Best wishes on the scan.

LOL, can't bring the cat.....  Hope your Pet scan provides more positive results, but why did you have to bring that stuff from May 2013 up?

77paris Platinum 17 Reviews

You are on my mind tonight with prayers, best wishes and kind and supportive thoughts phctourist

superchief1 Platinum

This is great and I wish it was a sign of things to come to other properties. However, I've noticed the opposite trend. Wine is priced comparable to bar prices and attendants are starting to control the pours. In fact, at the M lounge at SFO Marriott, the wine is metered through machines resulting is about 3-4 oz for $12.

Platinum 28 Reviews

My experience exactly a few weeks ago same city albeit different hotel (Fisherman's Wharf) - Same honor bar price for wine or tequila!!!

misterchk, where did you find an honor bar at the Fisherman's Wharf Marriott as the do not have a CL unless it has opened in recent months?

Platinum 28 Reviews

IAHFLYR a good morning to you.

You might recall that I (on one of my blogs) back in 2015, I commented on waking up and not knowing where I was!

Beginning on Sunday afternoon of Thanksgiving Weekend I entered into discussions to sell one of my two companies.

If you check my Marriott sched during that period it would look like this:

11/25-27  SFO Fisherman's Wharf  (first stay in 5 yrs - )

12/2-3     San Diego Marquis

12/6-7   LAX Ren

12/7-8    San Diego Marquis

Now, at my age I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, but my recollection could have been in err!

I can confirm though, not receiving a free  alcoholic drink at any domestic lounge I have been in as far back as four or five years.

I am on record advising my problem of waffles and tequila.  Adding age and fatigue I hope you will accept these mitigating factors prior to sentencing me to a quiet room and straight jacket.

peymanagement Platinum

Yep, booze is cheaper in the bar at SFO. But pretty good CL and one of the nicest airport Marriott Hotels in the system in my humble opinion.

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

what I like at SFO Marriott is dropping of the car and being driven to hotel ( I am platinum in Hertz) and being able to take shuttle to the airport in the morning to avoid the rental train

peymanagement Platinum

I am usually coming in late coming from the east. So if I have enjoyed the trip I like that you can walk across the street the next morning at this hotel and rent a car.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

At the Marriott, West India Quay in London, there is free house wine (red, white and rose) and free bottles of beer in the executive lounge between 17:30 and 21:30.  It is help yourself, not rationed at all, and has been like this ever since I have been going there, which is at least 5 years.  Just one of the reasons (or 2, or 3, or 4 - hic) I love it there.

insidenji Gold 6 Reviews

Hi there Tommo781 and jamesdean thanks for the info about the London lounges.  I think many, if not most of the international Marriott lounges offer free wine and beer, etc. but it has been my experience that the majority of those here in the US charge for alcohol; I've seen as little as 6 dollars to as much as 10 dollars for a glass of wine.  The only lounge I've been in where I've seen no charge is the Gateway I mentioned in this post.  I think the thing I desire most is consistency from one lounge to the next here in the US.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Yup, I agree, consistency matters. The thing is of course that here in the UK, we don't have as many Marriott brand hotels as in the USA.  So when I go to WIQ in London, I think the complimentary wine/beer/food in the executive lounge is brilliant.  It just isn't the norm in UK hotels; to us it is a real perk.

superchief1 Platinum

I agree with everything you said except your final statement. I can't recall the last time I had complementary wine/alcohol in a Marriott property lounge in the USA. When they first started charging for wine several years ago, the price was reasonable (about $4) and you could pour yourself a large glass. Now, most have wine at the same price as the hotel bar, and the attendant pours about 4-5 oz. The reason that I disagree with your last statement is that Marriott's typical interpretation of 'consistency' is that all lounges offer the minimum. In this case, you wouldn't be able to be delighted by the exceptional experiences at the Gateway.

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

I believe you are correct regarding the Lounges in Europe, most of them anyway.

I've noticed in America that while it is a honour bar system, I've seen many times individuals that don't bother to take the slip and fill it in and then exit stage left, so perhaps the reason for the price increase is those that do pay compensate for those who don't. That being said, sometimes too, it's not totally clear the procedure for paying for your drinks and it could be innocently assumed that the drinks are in fact complimentary.

JD

jamesdean Platinum 1 Reviews

Free Wine (Red/White & Sparkling) & Beer at the JW Marriott in London, but I think all JW's offer that perk in their lounges...food was great too!!

JD

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

Sparkling wine as well!!  I love sparkling wine - of any colour.  Anything with fizz in it.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...