25 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2016 10:50 AM by brightlybob RSS

Disappointedin Marriott

4timmens Silver
Currently Being Moderated

gSuper disappointed in Marriott and now understand why folks are leaving.  We have used the same Marriott hotel for the past three years and have spent approx. $25K when we are there.  This is for a sporting event that happens annually.  We sign a contract and agree to fill a certain number of rooms.  I also recommend all of the parents of the athletes go direct to the hotel as well.  We did not fill all of our rooms, even though our parents were told the hotel was sold out and could have used the rooms.  As such, we were overcharged $2000 for empty rooms, even though we could not book them?  I would be understanding if parents could have filled our block, but they were told not and now we are being charged, which seems like double dipping.  As well, as the person who paid for all of these rooms, I find it ludicrous these rooms would not be credited to my elite acct.

I have to say Hilton is much easier to work with and much more flexible, and we will be taking our dollars elsewhere. 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Disappointedin Marriott
    phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Who is leaving?  What is your evidence?  I constantly read blogs from people who claim people are leaving or deserting Marriott, yet business is up!  It perplexes me!

I don't dispute that some people are unhappy, and many are legitimately so, but I find it humorous that so many people try to bolster their complaints weith the silly claim that people are deserting Marriott (or any other company that they are unhappy with).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

AndrewT,

Not to dispute your response however from the "Earn Rewards at Marriott" page from the web site this is what I found:

Earn for meetings, events or group travel

Planning an event? Earn points for meeting services, events spaces & groups of rooms, even when your guests are paying.

• Maximum rewards of 50,000 points (3 points per $1 USD) or 15,000 miles (1 mile per $1 USD) with one qualifying event
      • Points for each room night, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it
      • 10 Elite Nights when you book 10+ guest rooms for at least one night
      • Instant Silver Elite status or Elite Night credit towards your next level up
      • Split your earnings with a colleague (up to 50,000 points) if you are both Rewards members.

So it appears 4timmens should be rewarded points for each room night regardless.  Is this a change in policy recently to what you wrote?

4timmens Silver

This is what I am saying.  With a $14K bill this month and a $12K bill in January, I should be earning points. AndrewT this needs to be addressed.  I sent my Marriott number in earlier email.

Take your rewards number OFF that post immediately.  Would you post your SSN on here as well? 

phctourist,

The more that leave the less crowded our CL's will be!!   Oh wait, this comes from a Silver so they are not in the CL so maybe they'll give Marriott another try. 

Platinum 28 Reviews

phctourist

In a perfect world, where nothing ever went wrong this site would simply not exist.  Most of us would be on the street committing crimes due to our free time.

That's why this site is a public service as it keep all of us crazies ( and let's be honest, many of us are, including Moi) off the streets!!!!

john_thai Platinum 8 Reviews

Some of us can multi-task so that's not a problem.

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

I know exactly what you meant when you said "Who is leaving?  What is your evidence?  I constantly read blogs from people who claim people are leaving or deserting Marriott, yet business is up!  It perplexes me!"

The same thing goes for Spirit Airlines. They consistently have the worst DOT complaint record, yet they fill every seat on every flight and they recently recorded record profits. It perplexes me!

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

Spirit attracts customers with low prices.  Many will continue to put up with horrible service to get low prices.

Marriott customers, on the other hand, stay loyal because they value good service.  Does Marriott miss the boat on service, occasionally.  Of course, they do, but they usually make things right.

Look at Marriott sales and you know that they are not losing many customers.  Sometimes they miss the boat and some customers are just impossible to please.

I have complaints about Marriott, but in general, they treat me well and make up for their errors.

I always am amused by people who try to bolster the validity of their complaints by saying that customers are leaving while others complain that the place is too crowded.  It reminds me of the old Yogi Berra line "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded!".

I'm reminded 

AndrewT Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

So sorry to hear about this 4timmens, sounds quite frustrating.

In terms of your account credit, with large bookings like this you are able to receive Rewards for as many as three of the reservations.

As far as the charge goes, if you could send us a direct message with your Rewards number and the reservation numbers associated with this stay, we'd be happy to look into this for you. A copy of the bill would also be helpful if you are able to provide that.

Thank you for reaching out.

4timmens Silver

I do not see a way to attach the bill.  Rewards number is 741510002.

We booked 35 rooms and used 32, but did not stay as many nights as we were contracted.  I would be fine with this had it not been that when parents called for extra rooms, they were told none were available.  We did have many people book outside of the group who did not count towards our contract.

So you reserved 35 and used 32. But then you say others tried to come in and the hotel said no rooms were available. Sounds like they held the other 3 rooms for you. If that's the case then I can see them billing you for those rooms.

Could you clarify? You reserved a lot of rooms. But didn't fill them all. I'm confused by the way you wrote your post if you're saying that the rooms were left empty and the hotel should have sold them to others or if the hotel was full and your families were turned away. Did you guarantee the rooms for late arrival or anything like that?

peymanagement Platinum

As I understand your issue, you booked a block of rooms for a sporting event and signed a contract for a certain number of rooms and the hotel position is that didn't fulfill your contract. I got  stuck with a similar situation in Montreal a few years back.

Do you have documentary evidence that the parents actually contacted the hotel and were turned away. This will be important to resolve your case or you are in a he said she said situation.

in my case, some of my group said they were turned away when what they actually did was find a cheaper place. I was lucky, the hotel manager (a holiday inn) gave me a credit for future use. As far as your points, I think the rule is clear you should get credit for the money you spent.

We will never see this person 4timmens again here on Insiders.  Another ONE AND DONE

Possibly, but I hope not.

Too many people come to a site like this to register a complaint and are hoping for sympathy. When they get a simple dose of reality from the experienced posters many will reject it and leave. Some stick around. And become helpful posters.

Platinum 28 Reviews

John, this site has become a combination of services:  Surprisingly the most popular service is acting as our own form of  "Facebook" -

Many of us are spending more and more of our leisure time commenting and/or posing everyday issues that have nothing to do with traveling.

Then we have the "complaining issue".  I believe, under a certain set of circumstances, this site should be an aid.

Requesting help should meet the following criteria:  Member has first exhausted attempts for correction with the property and Marriott - AND there is solid evidence supporting the claim.

Under the above circumstances we must support our members with whatever power we have. (which is little)

Currently there is no machinery set up to protect members that have been wronged that have come to the site frustrated.

Over the last few years I have continually looked for support in creating a forum, with approval from Marriott, that could in the least arbitrate disputes.

As you are aware my requests and ideas on this subject have been met with deaf ears.

This all totals "double frustration" - I am frustrated as well as the victim.

I am constantly surprised by Marriott's attitude of ignoring most complaints brought to this site.  It sort of reinforces my feeling that the site was created as a "pacifier" rather than a tool to help the elite membership.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

I really don't get the complaint here.  The OP says "We sign a contract and agree to fill a certain number of rooms."  So what is the problem?  The hotel had allocated those rooms as per the contract.  If they gave them to someone else, and one of the original people included in the allocation turned up late and there was no room, the OP would have complained.  Seems to me that the hotel was in a total Catch 22 situation.

Several years ago, my company booked a block of 10 rooms at a hotel (not Marriott) for 4 nights for a course we were attending.  One of the group fell sick the very day the course was due to start.  So the company was charged for the first night for that person.  We all totally understood.  Now, if they had charged for all 4 nights when they knew on day one, that would have been a different matter.

4timmens Silver

Thank you for this last response.  I am venting frustration because Marriott and specifically the hotel have not been able to respond.  I am not sure why attacking this thread as "one and done" is even an issue - in fact, it is contrary to this being a forum.  I am not looking for sympathy - I am trying to understand the basis for being charged for rooms unused within our contract when our customers trying to book within the room block were told there were no rooms.

Thanks for all the feedback.

gatilla007 Silver

4timmens PLEASE stick around! This community is in desperate need of new blood and you being involved with event planning could provide a fresh perspective.

peymanagement Platinum

Outside the nonsense that goes on in the forum, you have two issues here

1. Point; As stated above, the rules seem quite clear that you are entitled to your points.
      2. The unoccupied rooms that were specified in the contract. As I stated earlier, that is more of a slippery slope, I suggested that you get some documentary evidence that the hotel was contacted and room was stated to be not available. You will need to persistent and fact based in your approach. When it happened to me, the hotel initially took the "contract" stand. You need to move them tactfully to the customer stand. There are a lot of things that a manager can do without giving up the cash, future use credits or points.

persistence and tact will pay off. Remember it is your problem, not Marriot's. your moderators are here to help you to get connected to the right people, but not to solve your problem.

4timmens thank you for your post and please accept my sincere apology for tossing the now famous unpopular phrase in your direction.  I've been called to the carpet and it doesn't smell as it's been cleaned in quite some time.  We desperately need new posters and I look forward to your insights and hopefully accepting my apology.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Let me see if I get this. You guaranteed to fill say, 50 rooms at $100 per room. You filled, say 30 but as the event drew nearer attendees trying to book rooms within your allocation couldn't because the hotel was already sold-out. Since you didnt fulfill the 50 rooms as guaranteed the hotel charged you for the remaining 20, that's $2,000. You say the hotel shouldn't charge as the only reason you missed your guarantee was because the hotel failed to allocate the rooms to your group making it impossible for you to fulfill your quota when the hotel ran out of rooms.

The devil of these issues is in the detail. It's not a consumer problem, you're not a consumer here with all the cuddly warmth consumer protection legislation wraps you up in. Here you're in a contract and your problem is a commercial contractural one. Personally I'd file a contest to with your credit card charge but you'll need to spell out the detail. If the contract stipulates that the hotel guarantees your group availability of your quota to checkin day then you've a good contest here, the properties conduct made it impossible to fulfill the contract thus breaching it. I would however warn you that if the contract you signed allocated the rooms to you until say 72 hours before the event, and you were at that stage 20 short then in the terms of that contract the hotel would be in the right here, even though they finally managed to fill the rooms themselves with other guests unrelated to your event.

This is a commercial contract question, not a consumer rights one and the world of commerce can be tough, indeed downright unfair! Contest the charge with your credit card company and check the terms of your contract. Even if the contract is 72 hours (or some other limit) the contest may work as it should enable you to speak with the hotel who will want to avoid a lengthy process with the card company and enable an agreement.

Remember 4timmens, be clear (far clearer than in your post) and focus on the facts. Good luck.

tommo781 Gold 8 Reviews

As you say brightlybob, details need to be clear.  Cos I read the original post totally differently to you.  To use your analogy, I read it that the allocation of say 50 rooms at $100 was for the sporting participants only.  On top of that the OP had recommended that parents book the hotel direct, but I didn't read it that they were part of the allocation.  Therefore, as the 50 rooms had been allocated to the sporting participants they couldn't be released to anyone else without the person making the original contract for 50 rooms advising the hotel that they would not be taking all the rooms.  The way I saw it was that the parents would have been better going to the person who had booked the rooms to see if there were any free from the allocation rather than trying to book with the hotel direct.

Knowing your profession, and having been a fraud investigator myself before retirement, dealing with the courts on a regular basis, we both know the importance of totally unambiguous statements of fact.  As we both have a legal background - albeit from different angles - it just proves the point when we have read the original complaint differently.

brightlybob Platinum 10 Reviews

Yes, I must admit, 4timmens post is a difficult read with many variables. My post was basically one picked out of a variety of interpretations. 4timmens, you'll need to be crystal clear when getting in touch with the credit card company here. Between us Tommo781 and I must have over 70 years legal experience, but we're both left guessing by your post.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...