8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2016 10:44 PM by beaug RSS

Sydney, Australia - Marriott Hotel Suite - Sydney Opera House & Bridge - 31 January & 1 February 2016

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Our Marriott Hotel Upgrade to Suite using points in Sydney, Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBmSaIitjVA

Sydney, Australia - Sydney Opera House & Bridge 31 January 2016

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Sydney+Australia+Sydney+Opera+House+%26+Bridge+%2231+jan+2016%22+jasper100ish

Sydney, Australia - Sydney Opera House & Bridge - 1 February 2016

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Sydney+Australia+Sydney+Opera+House+%26+Bridge+%221+feb+2016%22+jasper100ish

SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE

The Sydney Opera House is a multi-venue performing arts centre in Sydney, Australia, identified as one of the 20th century's most distinctive buildings.

Designed by Danish architect Jørn Utzon, the building was formally opened on 20 October 1973[4]after a gestation beginning with Utzon's 1957 selection as winner of an international design competition. The government of New South Wales, led by the premier, Joseph Cahill, authorised work to begin in 1958 with Utzon directing construction. The government's decision to build Utzon's design is often overshadowed by circumstances that followed, including cost and scheduling overruns as well as the architect's ultimate resignation.

The Sydney Opera House became a UNESCO World Heritage Site on 28 June 2007.

The building and its surrounds occupy the whole of Bennelong Point in Sydney Harbour, betweenSydney Cove and Farm Cove, adjacent to the Sydney central business district and the Royal Botanic Gardens, and close by the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Though its name suggests a single venue, the building comprises multiple performance venues which together are among the busiest of performing arts centres - hosting well over 1,500 performances annually, attended by more than 1.2 million people. A wide range of performances is presented in the venues, by numerous performing arts producers, including four key resident companies: Opera Australia, The Australian Ballet, the Sydney Theatre Company and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. As one of the most popular visitor attractions in Australia, more than eight million people visit the site each year, with around 350,000 visitors annually taking a guided tour of the building.

The building is managed by the Sydney Opera House Trust, an agency of the New South Wales State Government.

SYDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE

The Sydney Harbour Bridge is a steel through arch bridge across Sydney Harbour that carries rail, vehicular, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic between the Sydney central business district (CBD) and theNorth Shore. The dramatic view of the bridge, the harbour, and the nearby Sydney Opera House is an iconic image of Sydney, and Australia. The bridge is nicknamed "The Coathanger" because of its arch-based design or is simply called "the Bridge" by Sydney residents.

Under the direction of Dr J.J.C. Bradfield of the NSW Department of Public Works, the bridge was designed and built by British firm Dorman Long and Co Ltd of Middlesbrough and opened in 1932.The bridge's design was influenced by the Hell Gate Bridge in New York City. It is the sixth longest spanning-arch bridge in the world and the tallest steel arch bridge, measuring 134 m (440 ft) from top to water level. It was also the world's widest long-span bridge, at 48.8 m (160 ft) wide, until construction of the new Port Mann Bridge in Vancouver was completed in 2012.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia Marriott Hotels & Resorts Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay
  • Re: Sydney, Australia - Marriott Hotel Suite - Sydney Opera House & Bridge - 31 January & 1 February 2016
    clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

jasper100, any tips on the best way to fly to Sydney?  We are planning a trip for 2017 and trying to find a way to get 4 people in business class without paying $30,000 in airfare!  The hotel looks great, by the way.  Thanks for the info.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Sydney, Australia - Marriott Hotel Suite - Sydney Opera House & Bridge - 31 January & 1 February 2016
      jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I ended using American Airlines points on Etihad airlines for First Class and resulted in much longer travel than needed - 14 hours to Abu Dhabi and another 14 hours to Perth with more hours on return. Unless you are using points, it would be better to fly out of LAX with a direct flight to Sydney.

beaug Platinum

clebert,

Where in the US are you flying from? And will you be coming direct to Sydney, or to another Australian city first? Reason I ask is, that as someone who often flies between the two countries, it is occasionally cheaper to fly to another city first (i.e. Brisbane, Melbourne or Adelaide- for example), or via Asia (Singapore, or Hong Kong)- although this adds a significant amount of time to the trip.

If you're visiting Sydney, consider staying at the Pier One Sydney Harbour, an Autograph Collection hotel- the location is stunning, and has undergone a major refurbishment in the last couple of years... Just a suggestion.

BeauG

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

beaug, we are coming from Podunk, USA and will have to connect somewhere.  So options that are open for us would be flights from LAX, SFO, DFW, DEN, or ORD to SYD or elsewhere in Australia.  Our FF miles are on AA and UA and we are hoping to purchase economy tickets and upgrade to business class with miles.  We would like to visit both Sydney and Brisbane and might fly into Sydney and out of Brisbane or vice-versa.  We're not opposed to booking 2 one-way tickets on 2 different airlines if we have to.  We are also not opposed to a layover in the Asia-Pacific region.

vaboywnder Alumni Steward Platinum 21 Reviews

clebert,

I'll be heading there next month for my honeymoon. Check out my blog posting to see how I booked Business Class tickets to and from LAX without breaking the bank.

https://www.rewards-insiders.marriott.com/people/vaboywnder/blog/2015/05/07/2016-dream-trip-to-australia-booked

jasper100

Thanks for sharing the videos!  I'm looking forward to our stay at the same hotel!

beaug Platinum

clebert,

You're best bet is to go from LAX; much better choice of airlines going direct to SYD or BNE. You'll likely find it cheaper to fly in and out of SYD than any other Australian airport on the east coast. Coming into Australia via Asia really adds a lot of time, its around 7-8 hours from Singapore/HK, whereas direct from LAX to SYD is between 10 and 12.5 (depending on the airline and times).

AA and QANTAS recently commenced a codeshare between LAX and Auckland in New Zealand (where you can jump on a 2.5 hour flight over to Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane from); these fares are pretty heavily discounted at the moment, and could be worth considering (with AA operating.

If you have any spare Delta miles laying around, might be worth checking out the Delta codeshared flights on Virgin Australia (B777 aircraft), although steer clear of the Delta flights themselves.

From DFW to SYD, you've got QANTAS- and you'll pay for that luxury of direct, you're better off going to LAX and taking any one of the airlines that run from there.

As someone who flies LAX-SYD, JFK-SYD (via LAX), and DFW-SYD very frequently; my pick would be AA or QANTAS; if you can use points to upgrade, then it's going to be most certainly worth it. Having said that, late last year I was forced to return from LA to Sydney, and took an AA flight to HNL and then a Jetstar flight from HNL (Jetstar is QANTAS' budget airline), surprisingly decent flight in a B787, and worked out significantly cheaper than QF/AA, even in the business cabin ("star class").

Hope this helps, but going direct (or via AKL) is likely your best bet, unless you want to go to Asia specifically, I'd sideline that idea.

BeauG

vertol46 Platinum

I booked a ticket to Sydney on US Navy airlines. I took this picture in 1987 on what was probably my most memorable flight as a helicopter pilot ... my aircraft commander check ride. Also got a picture of the bridge. Didn't get a picture, however, of the Greenpeace boats getting doused by fire hoses from a United States Ship.

130925 Sydney Opera House 1987.jpg

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...