5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2016 3:26 PM by deannad RSS

Point Expiration for Lifetime Elites

cmeyer Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

I just checked my Account Activity page, and at the bottom it said that my points would not expire, if I earn or use points by 02/10/18.

I understand that this is basically what the new expiration policy is about.

However, I'm lifetime silver and I think I read somewhere on the Marriott Rewards website that points would not expire for lifetime elite members.

So I'm a little confused now. Does anybody know which one is true?

Cheers,

Christian

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Point Expiration for Lifetime Elites
    homoviator Platinum

Hi Christian,

I think the points will expire if you don't use some of them. So for example, you can buy a gift card and they won't expire for another 24 months I think.  What I think won't expire is the lifetime silver.

Hopefully one of the insider experts can post and clarify and in doing so, help us all understand because that would be how I understand the rules. 

It would also be interested to understand that if you 'use' points for a reservation, would the time be reset at the time of the reservation or when the actual stay happens.  I could see somebody getting into trouble this way. 

Another possible idea, depending on how many points you have, is to transfer them to somebody else--up to 50,000 a year. That would be a nice thing to do and make somebody's day.,I wonder if that would be an activity that would allow your expiration time to reset. Experts? your thoughts?

Great question most of us don't have to deal with, but frankly, if I lost a bunch of points because I didn't have any travel for a couple of years, I'd be super bummed out.  

US Airways did this to me, they took all of my points away because I didn't fly with them for some time (a child was born and our travel became nonexistent for a few years)  and my points expired.  there weren't a lot because I didn't use them much at the time. But here is what I can tell you, since they did that I've never flown with them again and now I fly much more than I did then. Furthermore I am responsible for the flights of at least 30 other people internationally. Food for thought, Marriott.  I understand the need to get the points off the books, but dang, that was stone cold, US Airways or whoever you are nowadays.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

homoviator,

You bring up some good question about making a reservation using points for an upcoming stay as the points are deducted from your account immediately.  My guess is that is when the clock would be reset for another 24 months which would be different than if you are paying for your stay at the property.  When paying for your stay the credit for the nights stayed and points earned would be upon check-out is my guess.  If my guess is correct then you would in fact have different reset of the 24 month time period which could catch someone.

So, let us ask our friendly and helpful Insider Team of carat, KatieC, melissaerb, lindseyh and the new kid on the block AndrewT to clarify the paragraph above and time lines for the 24 month clock to reset.  What say thee Team?

iahflyr Platinum 26 Reviews

cmeyer,

On your account overview page if you scroll down near the bottom on the left you'll see "Program News".  Directly below that you will find a link for "New Points Expiration Policy Starts February 1, 2016, and if you click that it brings up the policy.

Earn or redeem points at least once every 2 years to stay active and retain your points

Membership comes with many benefits, including the most flexibility of any program in the industry. To retain your points, keep your account active by doing one of the following at least once every two years:

So you know

• Gifting or transferring points
    • Receiving points as a gift or transfer
    • Earning points through social media programs, such as #MRPoints
    *Lifetime Status members are not affected by this change. However, Marriott Rewards reserves the right to change and modify Lifetime membership benefits at any time.

You will notice the reference to "Lifetime Status" near the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps and don't be a stranger here on Insiders as we all enjoy learning of folks travel experiences both good and bad.

Platinum

The full pdf is also available here

https://www.marriott.com/Images/Rewards/Points_Policy/FAQs_Point_Expiration_MR_Member_Version_FINAL1.pdf

and confirms IAHFLYs post above plus clarifies a few other things

deannad Community Manager Marriott Associate Member

Hi cmeyer,

Looks like IAHFLYR & dansplan have you covered! If a member is a Lifetime member, points will not expire.

For members that have not achieved Lifetime status, there will be an expiration date set on their account. If members do not show any activity from now until the expiration date, points will expire. The expiration date will not change until there is activity on the Marriott Rewards account.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...