73 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2016 8:33 PM by Jsucool76 RSS

Opinions of Cracker Barrel?

eastbayguy Gold
Currently Being Moderated

What do the road travelers think of the food at Cracker Barrel?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Opinions of Cracker Barrel?
    ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Their breakfast food is decent. I like their egg sandwich on sourdough. The hashbrown casserole is pretty good. As far as their lunch/dinner menu I have only been twice for lunch/dinner and many years ago so I won't comment on that. Service is always decent and prices are definitely reasonable. I would never "seek them out" for a meal but I'm on the road and it's an option, I'll eat there.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

bejacob Platinum 38 Reviews

Not a place I ever plan to visit. Been known to eat there on occasion. It's usually fairly quick, the food is okay. I'd say it's probably a "once every couple of years" kind of place for me. My last visit was a few months back, so I should be good until mid to late 2017.

peymanagement Platinum

It is an ok place for b fast if on a road trip with kids. I have not been to one in 7 years and I doubt that I would ever go again. There are so many other choices,

Platinum 28 Reviews

Forgive me - I don't recall coming across a Cracker Barrel in the areas I travel? 

What are they and where are they?

Thanks

peymanagement Platinum

It is a chain located mostly on the interstate highways. I have never seen one in the west but in the east they are at virtually each major interchange, Concept is a country style store with a restaurant attached,

Platinum 28 Reviews

Much thanks. 

My business takes me all over the country.  It is rare, though, that I ever leave city centers (in fact I don't remember the last time I rented a car).

jerryl Platinum 2 Reviews

they are in Arizona and Utah don't know about Cal. I have had breakfast there and lunch. it is interesting you usually have to walk thru the gift shop to get to the restaurant. Food is predictable and ok  but as said earlier not something I go out of my way but also don't avoid

one more point it is more of a southern restaurant and have seen them more in traveling in the south

seatexan Platinum

No thanks! not for me!  I will go to Waffle House before Cracker Barrel.  Then again, I really like Waffle House!

I will say the food is fine, its not the food.  It is the atmosphere that drives me away.  It looks like a disaster! It's hard to navigate to the host or hostess.  You have to walk thru a very cluttered store to get there.  The same registers are used for people paying for their meal as well as buying the items in the store.  Also, there can be a wait... I think they like to make you wait so you wonder around and buy the junk in the store... lol. 

I never go by my choice.

vertol46 Platinum

I agree with you about the cluttered store, which I detest especially when crowded. But there is one immediately behind the CY where I'm staying, so it's convenient. Really like their vegetable plate. Four vegetables, including salad, for about $10. That's hard to beat. The CY Bistro can't beat it, for certain. I think their breakfasts are too expensive, however. After a long day at work, I'll sip a glass of wine in my CY room and then head up to the CB about 1 or 2 times/week.

foxglove Silver 3 Reviews

When forced to make the choice between Cracker Barrel and fried fast food for lunch, we go with Cracker Barrel, usually ordering a veggie plate consisting of 3 or 4 sides. I prefer the salad and lunch buffet at Shoney's, but they're getting harder to find.

ne_traveling_man Platinum 8 Reviews

Not bad but it does depend upon location.... some are just not up to par with others.... I guess it is like any other chain when it comes to quality and service....

I must say when I do stop for dinner, I like to eat breakfast!!!  I'm a blueberry pancake guy!!! 

ssindc Platinum 42 Reviews

Keep driving.... it's worth waiting to see what's available at the next exit...  or the exit after that one....

Let's see...next exit: McDonalds, Wendy's, KFC.

Exit after that: Taco Bell, Burger King, Captain D's

The one after that: Sonic, DQ, Krystal

And so it goes...

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

And after that, Hardees, Arby's and Long John Silver's

curiousone Platinum

Mmmmmmm, Arby's Loaded Curley Fries! The TV advertisement looks so enticing to me, but at lunch I just can't make myself take the plunge. I guess I am getting smarter in my old age.

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

Breakfast - mostly because they have grits and biscuits to go with the eggs and bacon.  A treat, since not many places in PA serve grits and even less have decent biscuits.  I grew in down south and like to treat myself OCCASIONALLY.  Not something you can eat daily, if you want to see what the 80's and 90's look like.  :-)

homoviator Platinum

I Look for a panera nearby. About 50% of the time there is one

carmencam Member

I love Panera

panera bought paradise bakery and starting to transition them to parera  so if you are in Az or Hawaii you may get them sooner

superchief1 Platinum

I really liked Panera when they were the St Louis Bread company. Since they have gone the organic/non-GMO route their prices have increased and quality decreased. Eating organic non-GMO does not translate to eating healthy.

phctourist Platinum 20 Reviews

If you like lots of salt, you'll love cracker barrel.  I ate there once and everything that I and my wife had was grossly oversalted.  Haven't been back and don't expect I ever will be!

muppetwrangler Platinum 8 Reviews

When on a road trip, I'd choose a Cracker Barrel over any fast food place, that's for sure.  Although it's a chain restaurant and the food is predictable, it isn't horrible.  Breakfast is good, I love the fact that you can get REAL maple syrup.  Wouldn't touch the fake stuff if you paid me. 

superchief1 Platinum

When we previously took family driving vacations, we frequently stopped at Cracker Barrels for breakfast or an occasional dinner. They had many convenient locations at highway exits in the south. We found breakfasts to be very good and relatively fast (unless lines outside). Pancakes, eggs, turkey sausage, and biscuits were very good and they served little bottle of real maple syrup. Prices were comparable to Denny's or IHOP, and we found the food and service to be better. It was also a good alternative to all the fast food restaurants along the highway for a quick dinner. They at least had vegetables with dinner, so that was a bonus when you want your kids to have something besides fries.

Now that are kids are adults and we fly more than drive, we haven't been to one for a while. I think their breakfasts have gotten rather expensive, so I try to find hotels with breakfast included. They are a better alternative than fast food, and more convenient than Boston Market (which seem to have disappeared). Breakfasts are the best meal, but I did like the chicken breast or pulled pork dinners with country style green beans. Service was better than most casual dining restaurants.

peymanagement Platinum

I agree, the b fast was good. It still is a good place on a family road trip. It has been many years since I have been but my grandson loves it as my daughter did her first long road trip last year.

drlandrum Silver

I agree that it's OK for breakfast.   It seems that it was better several years ago.   When in areas where there is one if there's nothing else around, I will eat there... 

awalt Gold

Cracker Barrels are a staple of travel in the good ole USA

For Breakfast food is ok but one of the few places that has fresh grapefruit juice for those of us who happen to like that

For lunch and dinner the chicken and dumplings is my go to meal

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

awalt, good to know re grapefruit juice.  I recently tried to order that at a breakfast place in Orlando, and they didn't have it.  I guess Florida citrus means only orange juice!  Maybe all the retired folk are all on meds there are incompatible with grapefruit juice.  I've heard that's a thing.

clebert Platinum 21 Reviews

We sometimes stop at Cracker Barrel as it has stuff the kids will eat.  For fast, reasonably priced sit-down road trip dining, we prefer Bob Evans, though.  Both Cracker Barrel and Bob Evans seem to be a Midwest/South thing.  I suppose comparable places would be IHOP, Denny's or Perkins.  Sadly enough, I have eaten at both IHOP and Denny's in Waikiki.  Because:  kids.  Best gas stations for road trippin' are Sheetz (in Appalachia/Mid-Atlantic states), not that you asked  

Bob E is definitely superior quality to Cracker Barrel!

carmencam Member

Really?

I ate at Bob E twice, both times food was nasty. I am a chef and I am surprised that you prefer them over CB.. Just saying...

KatieC Member

I am surprised by the comments on this thread!

Cracker Barrel is one of my favorite places! I will, and have, waited an hour for a table. I think my love comes from a few things:

a) Breakfast is my favorite meal and they serve it all day 

b) I spent many years living in Florida and they have a lot of chains down there, so you gain an appreciation for the consistency. 

c) Chicken fried chicken. Need I say more?

Grandpa's Country Fried Breakfast?! Delicious. Chicken friend chicken is scrumptious, and if you don't know, now you know. Browse Our Famous All Day Breakfast Menu | Cracker Barrel

psudad is right though. NOT an every day indulgence if you want to remain svelte.

peymanagement Platinum

You know KatieC that you are right. When my kids were growing up I tortured them by wanting to go to the cracker barrel on road tours (it was cheap and fast). Now I am jaded, but it has nothing to do with Cracker Barrel, but that I have moved away from that kind of food. My grandson loves the place and now will not let us go past it on the interstates. I take back my earlier somewhat negative comment; for people not worried about blood pressure and other things it is a great place. The Sunday special of double fried chicken breasts was the best I ever had.

Unfortunately, both my wife and I have high blood pressure and as a result have to watch our salt intake.  We  both grew up in homes where our mothers had high bp and used very little salt and so we are not used to much salt in our food.  Hence , my compalaints about the salt at Cracker Barrel.  I really do enjoy  the WH.  Nobody does fried potatoes like they do and you can get decent fried eggs as well as good waffles.  Their coffee is not bad, either! 

pluto77 Alumni Steward Platinum 25 Reviews

But you know what?  I've eaten there (as well as other "southuhn" cookin' places) since my kids moved to Tennessee, and I honestly can't remember what I had, but I'm pretty sure it was two eggs sunny side up, whole wheat toast and country potatoes, because no matter what breakfast house I go to anywhere in the country, and regardless of what's on or off the menu, that's what I always ask for.  And what I always get.  It's pretty hard to screw up a couple of eggs and some toast.  I just go light on the potatoes.

randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

Have to admit I'm pretty biased on this one.  When I look at people at CB I notice an awful lot who are obese, which hints it might not be the healthiest food.  So when I each there I try to eat salads.

And unfortunately many Waffle Houses seem to cater to people having incomes only slightly above homeless.  Only go there in emergencies (such as middle of night while my wife was in surgery).

foodieinthecity83 Gold

No offense to Cracker Barrel but, aside from their signature jump-the-peg mini-board games on each table, there is nothing worth noting or eating at this place. It's time to shut the doors, CB.

Why I like Cracker Barrel:  Because these 'littles' crack me up.

Starts out playing nice

1c IMAG3214.jpg

Cady knows her brother and correctly interprets the gleam in his eye

2c IMAG3215.jpg

Cody goes in for the grab, as big sister tries to protect her checker pieces

3c IMAG3216.jpg

Cody, give it back!  Take it out of your mouth, Cody!

4c IMAG3217.jpg

Cody, take it out of your mouth and give it to me!

5c IMAG3218.jpg

And so it goes, between a brother and a big sister at Cracker Barrel.  Good times.  Sometimes it's not always about the food.

KatieC Member

Excellent pluto77!

carmencam Member

True dat,

I shop there for year round gifts.

greekbecky Platinum

That is the best post I've seen in a long time...totally made me laugh!

Platinum 4 Reviews

I've never been to a Cracker Barrel restaurant. I've always associated Cracker Barrel with the elderly (who eat lunch as dinner), the holy rollers, and families with screaming kids. Maybe I'm wrong......just not my kind of place.

The Waffle House has a storied past of drug busts and illicit activity. The latest google search (Waffle House drug busts) has a man dressed as a clown smoking meth in the Waffle House.  Hahaha. Man.....it's tough being a clown with late night munchies I guess. I'll pass on the Waffle House Restaurants.

The clown incident happened ~4:00 AM in the downtown WH right here in the Classic City of Athens, G-A. If you'd ever been in downtown Athens after 2 AM, when Athens' bars and clubs start emptying out, a clown smoking meth in the men's room wouldn't be all that surprising.

From the Athens Banner-Herald:

"When officers arrived, they learned the suspect was in a locked restroom, and after the Waffle House employee unlocked the door, officers encountered 25-year-old Jacob Worthington inside...Officers escorted Worthington out into the dining area where he admitted ownership of a bowl with residue that was on the counter...Worthington was then searched, and officers found LSD wrapped in foil and rolling papers...his book bag contained a jar of mushrooms, a jar of pot, a digital scale and a gold keepsake box that held some more pot and an unidentified white powder."

And then the kicker:

"The red-headed suspect was said in the report to be a resident of Gainesville, Georgia. A 2009 Gainesville Times story featured Worthington, then a member of the U.S. Army's 310 Psychological Operations Company."

I'll say...

More about Athens and its nightlife:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/the-best-college-town-14-reasons-athens-ga-is-the-best-college-town-in-america

Party on, Clowndude!

peymanagement Platinum

foxglove, what is on that plate in the article right above the fried chicken blurb, there does not seem to be any meat.

In the south, I usually go to Waffle House at 8 am for eggs and grits (cant get those in Toronto) and those funny little sausage (cant get those here either). It is a great place, I have never had a bad experience.  

That's a 4-veggie plate from Weaver D's. Clockwise from top: collards,sweet potato souffle, butter beans, and mac and cheese -- and, of course, a cornbread muffin.

weaver3.jpg

peymanagement Platinum

So that is the famous butter beans, Actually it all looks delicious.

Technically, butter beans are either a small variety of limas or a larger lima bean variety picked before full maturity (and before gettin' pasty).

From the B-52s 1983 album Whammy:

"Butterbean"

Yeah, if you go down to Athens, G-A

And you're driving in your car

You won't get very far before

You hear people shoutin' out!

What they say?

Butterbean!

Gramps and grannies, kids in their teens

Junkyard dogs and campus queens

Yeah, everybody likes butter beans

Pass me plate full, I'll be grateful!

1-2 -- 1-2-3-4

Pick 'em, hull 'em, put on the steam

That's how we fix butter beans!

Juhus whon queshun...Ha-ow du yuh Suthunuhs maintain yuh fahn figuhs?

We jus' have an evah-expandin' definition of "fahn."

Platinum 4 Reviews

Hahahaha.....from Psyops to clown. Kind of figures I guess.

Athens sounds GREAT!

Being a college town, do the students protest/near riot because the bars shut down an hour early every daylight savings time?

KatieC Member

You are missing out on Cracker Barrel, wesleywc! I don't fit any of the categories you mention (I don't think!) and I love it. It is not comparable to Waffle House. TOTALLY different vibe.

Platinum 4 Reviews

I looked at Cracker Barrels menu and they do offer the worlds greatest sandwich.....a Rueben Sandwich, so maybe I'll reconsider.

Do you really think that you can get a decent Rueben at Cracker Barrel or any similar national chain?  I'd stick to NY style delis for this delicacy.

Platinum 4 Reviews

Well that's true. Eating a Rueben at Cracker Barrel would be like eating a Cheesesteak in Antarctic. Not even close.

superchief1 Platinum

My sister only goes to Cracker Barrel during lent. She raves about their salmon patties, which are only available at that time.. I still enjoy breakfasts on occasion.  Their pancakes are very good, especially with the mini-bottles of real maple syrup.

KatieC Member

Yessss....that's what I'm talking about superchief1! Mini Maple Syrup = happiness.

I have not had the salmon patties...will investigate.

hankaaron Member

The breakfast is good.  It's a good value for a big family while traveling.  I will say the raspberry lemonade is a must-have menu item.

renaissanceman1944 Platinum

It's one of those places that I will go to every couple of years and think maybe it will be better than the last time and am disappointed every time.  I should just stop going because I don't think I will ever get a decent meal there.

I only gave them one chance and I've never been back.  Just, way too much salt in everything,

carmencam Member

Some stuff is salty, but you just have to try a few things. But, I agree they use a lot of salt,

jjett30169 Member

Chicken fried chicken is great. Beans and cornbread is good. Taylor Swift loves Cracker Barrel!

Platinum 4 Reviews

Bill Clinton used to sneak out of the White House to satisfy his late night munchies at McDonalds in DC. Despite this I'm still a McDeaths fan on occasion.

I can picture it now......blue haired lady Cracker Barrel patrons  dancing and grinding around to Talyor Swifts, "Shake it Off".....no thanks for the mental image.

greekbecky Platinum

OK now that I know TS goes there, I'm out.

carmencam Member

Ate at the Spring Hill Us 19 location last night, ordered Rib-eye steak and sides. It was actually pretty good and Love the variety of bottle soda's. Salad was crisp and fresh and the sweet potato was amazing. I even ordered dessert, which I never do and it was a coke chocolate cake and side of vanilla ice cream...

bctg77 Platinum 6 Reviews

Walked inside and knew it was the wrong place for me....but stayed and ordered lunch.  Have not returned since and that was over 4 years ago.  Not a fan.

Platinum 4 Reviews

In n out.jpg

That would called the ole in-n-out dinning experience. (no relation to the In-N-Out burger chain...which I do like).

ks77 Gold 23 Reviews

Animal Style!

Platinum 4 Reviews

Haha....Sacquatch is alive and well (spotted at Cracker Barrel) and has his own twitter account. Who knew!

shaunfromcolumbus,ohio Gold

I didn't know what this meant, but it gave me a laugh.

shaunfromcolumbus,ohio Gold

Cracker Barrel has some good items for both breakfast and lunch. It is not fancy, so I wouldn't consider it for dinner so much. The amount of food is usually pretty good too, and so is the variety.

boomer Platinum

I hit Cracker Barrel while on the road occasionally.  The best description I give is a chain of Southern comfort food.  I enjoy their roast beef which is actually a pot roast.  It is nice on a cold night when they have a roaring fire in the fireplace.